Hair loss

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
I heard lately that if you give your dog melatonin 3mg. that it helps with hair loss. Is this true? Thanks guys.:excited:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hi Karen you need to find out the underlying issue and reason for the hairloss before giving Melatonin.
Melatonin is used for seasonal flank alopecia which is indeed hair loss and the skin under the hairloss tends to go black. this happens during winter months and they say lack of sunlight causes it.

but there are many other reasons that can cause hairloss such as:

thyroid problems
mange
allergies

please book a visit to the vets where they can check it and do skin scrapes and blood work if needed to rule out other issues

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] has gave you great advice. I hope the vet can figure out what's going on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Karen you need to find out the underlying issue and reason for the hairloss before giving Melatonin.
Melatonin is used for seasonal flank alopecia which is indeed hair loss and the skin under the hairloss tends to go black. this happens during winter months and they say lack of sunlight causes it.

but there are many other reasons that can cause hairloss such as:

thyroid problems
mange
allergies

please book a visit to the vets where they can check it and do skin scrapes and blood work if needed to rule out other issues

excellent post/advice!!!

OP
Karen100

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
Thanks everyone. I did take her to the vet and he said it is alopecia. He said to give her fish oil.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
[MENTION=11603]Karen100[/MENTION], I feel your pain!

I've decided to take Charley to the vet over his hairloss. I just look at those guard hairs, especially the white hairs on the back of his neck, and they fall out! No sores, no itching, no black or rough skin, just thinning. One really bad spot, but others are starting. I've tried coconut oil, probiotics and food change. I ordered missing link, but am tired of being worried and tired of the over-the-top shedding mess.
7e8yvezu.jpg
9egybuze.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
A vet visit is always good but I had a bulldog that had hairless due to a leather collar, he would lose the hair around the back of his neck where the collar would sit. I no longer keep a collar on my dog inside but, the allergies these babies can have are crazy sometimes.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Our vet thought the collar might be the issue. No collar since January. That strip of missing hair is still there and more thinning elsewhere.
vy9anehe.jpg
I just took this pic. The others were about January.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=11603]Karen100[/MENTION], did the fish oil work for you? Hope it worked!

I'm attaching a pic of Charley's neck after using up a one pound bag of missing link
5ubasu5u.jpg
it appears to be a tiny bit better, but some generalized hair loss on mostly his white hairs continues. His hair is much softer though and not falling as much. I gave Charley some food with fish in it yesterday to see how he handles it. If ok, I'll try the fish oil too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online