Why is it important to trim nails?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Because our bulldogs must live indoors it's real important to remember why we must trim those nails. Most breeds will naturally wear down their nails outside. There's much more than just aesthetic reasons for it. Untrimmed nails can cause huge problems. Broken nails which are extremely painful causing sore feet, legs and hips. Over the long term it can also contribute to the development of arthritis. Bully's walk on their toes like a horse, not on the soles of their feet. Long nails can cause the bully to rock back on their paws which causes strain on the leg assembly and interferes with it's gait. Overweight bully's may find it painful to put their full weight on their feet with overgrown nails which only exacerbates the problem. If you can't do it yourself you can have the vet take care of it or take them to a groomer to have it done. Trimmed nails make for a very happy bully. :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good reminder. :2thumbs:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
thanks phil.. I never knew there were so many risks with not trimming nails... I do it so regularly for Meeko as the sound of the nails on laminate flooring drives me crazy lol as soon as it starts tapping loudly I know its time for them to be done again! x

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Thanks Phil! Bruts just got his trimmed last night at the vet!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've also noticed that if I'm behind on trimming I may see the start of an interdigital cyst coming sometimes. I get em trimmed and it never flares up and goes away. I completely agree about keeping them trimmed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yeah we have mostly hardwood floors in the house and she is always outside but yet her nails are ALWAYS so sharp haha. I swear i have to clip them atleast 3 times a week. (not really but it seems it!) And silly me, I bought an electric filer and didnt trim his nails and im filing them and i kept saying to myself "why are they so long!"........... blonde moment for me!!! :lmaogirl:

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Thanks for posting this. Now can you come tell Dooley this. :pray: He turns into the spawn of satin when the clippers come out. Its an impossible job for one person

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
treat, cut, treat, cut, treat, cut cut treat, cut, treat, file, treat, file…etc

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Thanks Phil! I don't like trimming the Divas nails because I did once and cut the quick and she bled and bled and it FREAKED ME OUT. She gets hers done at the groomers! I think her nails could be even shorter and I definitely want to trim them down more since they walk on their toes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living here in HOT FL. Vegas only goes out to potty and back, he does not naturally wear his nails down. I take him about every 5 weeks to get them dremeled at Petsmart, it's only $12 and saves him the pain and saves our leather furniture because they round them.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've also noticed that if I'm behind on trimming I may see the start of an interdigital cyst coming sometimes. I get em trimmed and it never flares up and goes away. I completely agree about keeping them trimmed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never even thought of that!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Tallulah's nails were really long when she came home, so I've been having them cut every three weeks. Last time was the first time I didn't hear the clatter on the hardwood floors constantly. I didn't realize how on-edge it was making me. But they're still long, so it came back pretty quickly. We probably have a couple more rounds until they're nice and short and comfortable for her. Once we're not going constantly, I'll probably have them Dremel'ed, too. We do go for a walk most days and I stick to the sidewalk for most of it, but if she can walk on the grass verge, she will, so I don't think they get worn down by the concrete much.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.