Real Name
    Scott
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Joseph AKA JOE
    Likes (Received)

Default Sugarless gum poisoning? :(

So...Thursday I fell asleep watching Pawn Stars and woke up around 11:30 with the TV on and JOE sleeping nearby. I get up and start turning off lights etc and going back to bed when I see a set of earbuds chewed up, an intact dollar bill and a half chewed pak of sugarless gum (Trident) There were a few chewed pieces and the rest was missing. I didn't think much of it, I was half asleep and had no idea that sugarless gum is poison to dogs. A co-worker mentioned it and so I called the vet and found out that JOE could possibly die within the next 48 hours from poisoning. The artificial sweetener in sugarless gum is poison. At first it's supposed to cause a spike in insulin production, which causes the dogs blood sugar to plummet and they die within a few hours and secondary to that is liver failure. I'm just stunned. He is a few hours away from the 48 hour mark and I have seen zero symptoms of poisoning etc...BUT damn I been pretty upset the past couple of days watching JOE for the slightest change in behavior etc... Enough to make you crazy - arrrrrgggghhhhhh...I had no idea and had never heard of this before. Has anyone else experienced this with their bullies before?

JOE seems to be fine and is being his regular pain in the butt self

-img_0987-sm-jpg

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sugarless gum poisoning? :(

Hi Scott, I haven't experienced our guys eating sugarless gum, but I did know it is poisonous to dogs. It's the Aspartame, or Xylitol, that causes the problems. I'm so sorry you're going though this with Joe, and I hope since he hasn't shown any signs yet, that he's going to be okay. These bullies will get into everything and anything. I swear they think they are bully goats, or garbage compactors. They'll be the death of us. My male Bulldozer has eaten 4 sweat socks and a dish cloth, we've been really lucky so far, as he's either thrown them up, or pooped them out, and he's not had problems from it. We have to watch him like a hawk, even outside, he eats rocks, sticks, wrappers, Kleenex, and pinecones. I swear they're like little kids, you have to keep everything out of their reach. My female Blossom doesn't eat objects, but she is so food motivated, she goes crazy for food, dog food, cat food, bird food, and she will get into our garbage any, chance she can. Last year she got into my grandsons Bulk Barn candies, she ate 7 bags of candy, gummy bears, gummy worms, Maltesers, sour keys, sour peaches, and chocolate. She managed to eat all the candy, without eating the little baggies they were in. We took her to the vet, and she gave her something that made her throw up, she vomited 5 bowls of penny candies. The vet said she'd never seen so much candy come out of a dog. It all came up undigested and whole, I don't know how she didn't choke on it. Since we took her to the vet right away, she didn't have any problems after, no diarrhea or sickness. We were lucky we were home, because chocolate is very poisonous as well, and can cause kidney failure, but the vet also said the gummy candies could have congealed in her stomach and caused an obstruction. I am sending love, hugs and prayers that Joe is okay, please keep us posted on how he's doing.

Here is a list of other foods that are poisonous for dogs:

07-15-2010, 11:26 AM #1
    desertskybulldogs
    Owner/Administrator

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Blog Entries
    Recent Bully Market Gifts

View All...

Total Awards: 142
    Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....
    I wanted to start a topic of things that are in most homes that can cause a severe danger to your pets.

Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog. While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. The dog usually vomits a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.

Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.

Beer: Hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.

Antifreeze: Antifreeze, due to its sweet taste, poses an extreme danger of poisoning to a dog (or cat) that either drinks from a spill or licks it off its fur. The antifreeze itself is not toxic, but is metabolized in the liver to a compound which causes kidney failure, and eventual seizures, and death. By the time symptoms are observed, the kidneys are usually too damaged for the dog to survive so acting quickly is important.

Avacados: LEAVES, STEM, PIT & BARK of tree contain Persin. The meat (fruit) part is safe, and found in foods like Avoderm and are wonderful for the dogs coat.

Apples & Apricots: The fruit is safe, the leaves and seeds are not

Human Vitamins: Most human vitamins contain large amounts of Iron, which is not good for our furry friends. Only give your pet vitamins made for dogs

Sources: Dog Obedience Training .com , ASPCA

If anyone else knows of unsafe foods, products, ect in your home, please add to the list!

0 Comment(s)
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Did the Vets suggest anything to do other than watch him?

Praying he is going to be fine...please update us...so scary!

Sending you big hugs!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

we don't buy sugarless gum, so it is not in our house. I hope your boy is OK, Xylitol is very toxic to dogs, so you have to make sure sugarless gum, candy, and even toothpaste is out of their reach.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Aww, he's so cute<3 I'm glad he's doing good, I'd go insane if mine did that They're such brats, lol. Hope he will get through it without any issues, hugs to you both
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Yes, knew of it, but never experienced it. How is he this morning?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Just checking in to see how Joe is doing this morning. Hope he's okay. Has he shown any symptoms from eating the gum?
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

​Checking on Joe, praying all is well~GOD bless y'all [replacer_img]

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Scott
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Joseph AKA JOE
    Likes (Received)

The vet said there's not much to do except keep an eye on him at this point because of the amount of time that had passed before I realized what he had done. I guess within the first hour he could have had his stomach pumped. He still seems OK except he has been drooling more than usual. He doesn't normally drool that much so I don't know if that is something. No other signs I can think of or see.

He still seems to be doing OK - He's having is breakfast right now.

Thanks for the kind words and concern..I'm about sick over this.

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Well, I guess so, Scott...please don't blame yourself, things happen!
    And because you are so intent on him, everything he does is magnified.
    So much time has passed, hopefully he's fine, know I'm praying GOD's
    protection over Joe...so sorry you're sick w/worry

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Carol is right.... everything will seem not right or not normal .. try to relax. if there is no symptoms by now, he may not have ingested any and you chalk this up to a learning experience
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Wow I had NO idea about the sugarless gum… I always have to keep my purse up because of my grandkid. I'm so sorry, I hope that Joe is doing okay… keep us posted!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads