Hi Scott, I haven't experienced our guys eating sugarless gum, but I did know it is poisonous to dogs. It's the Aspartame, or Xylitol, that causes the problems. I'm so sorry you're going though this with Joe, and I hope since he hasn't shown any signs yet, that he's going to be okay. These bullies will get into everything and anything. I swear they think they are bully goats, or garbage compactors. They'll be the death of us. My male Bulldozer has eaten 4 sweat socks and a dish cloth, we've been really lucky so far, as he's either thrown them up, or pooped them out, and he's not had problems from it. We have to watch him like a hawk, even outside, he eats rocks, sticks, wrappers, Kleenex, and pinecones. I swear they're like little kids, you have to keep everything out of their reach. My female Blossom doesn't eat objects, but she is so food motivated, she goes crazy for food, dog food, cat food, bird food, and she will get into our garbage any, chance she can. Last year she got into my grandsons Bulk Barn candies, she ate 7 bags of candy, gummy bears, gummy worms, Maltesers, sour keys, sour peaches, and chocolate. She managed to eat all the candy, without eating the little baggies they were in. We took her to the vet, and she gave her something that made her throw up, she vomited 5 bowls of penny candies. The vet said she'd never seen so much candy come out of a dog. It all came up undigested and whole, I don't know how she didn't choke on it. Since we took her to the vet right away, she didn't have any problems after, no diarrhea or sickness. We were lucky we were home, because chocolate is very poisonous as well, and can cause kidney failure, but the vet also said the gummy candies could have congealed in her stomach and caused an obstruction. I am sending love, hugs and prayers that Joe is okay, please keep us posted on how he's doing.
Here is a list of other foods that are poisonous for dogs:
07-15-2010, 11:26 AM #1
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Recent Bully Market Gifts
Total Awards: 142
Foods and Household Items that are dangerous for dogs.....
I wanted to start a topic of things that are in most homes that can cause a severe danger to your pets.
Chocolate: Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical stimulant that, together with caffeine and theophylline, belongs to the group of methylxanthine alkaloids. Dogs are unable to metabolize theobromine effectively. If they eat chocolate, the theobromine can remain in their bloodstreams for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience fast heart rate, hallucinations, severe diarrhea, epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death.
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause acute renal failure in dogs. The exact mechanism is not known, nor any means to determine the susceptibility of an individual dog. While as little as one raisin can be fatal to a susceptible ten pound dog, many other dogs have eaten as much as a pound of grapes or raisins at a time without ill effects. The dog usually vomits a few hours after consumption and begins showing signs of renal failure three to five days later.
Onions & Garlic: Onions and to a significantly lesser extent garlic contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Thiosulfate levels are not affected by cooking or processing. Small puppies have died of hemolytic anemia after being fed baby food containing onion powder. Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat.
Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain. The exact mechanism is not known. Most dogs recover with supportive care when the source of exposure is removed.
Beer: Hops, the plant used to make common beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Certain breeds, such as Greyhounds, seem particularly sensitive to hop toxicity, but hops should be kept away from all dogs. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are "spent" after use in brewing.
Antifreeze: Antifreeze, due to its sweet taste, poses an extreme danger of poisoning to a dog (or cat) that either drinks from a spill or licks it off its fur. The antifreeze itself is not toxic, but is metabolized in the liver to a compound which causes kidney failure, and eventual seizures, and death. By the time symptoms are observed, the kidneys are usually too damaged for the dog to survive so acting quickly is important.
Avacados: LEAVES, STEM, PIT & BARK of tree contain Persin. The meat (fruit) part is safe, and found in foods like Avoderm and are wonderful for the dogs coat.
Apples & Apricots: The fruit is safe, the leaves and seeds are not
Human Vitamins: Most human vitamins contain large amounts of Iron, which is not good for our furry friends. Only give your pet vitamins made for dogs
Sources: Dog Obedience Training .com , ASPCA
If anyone else knows of unsafe foods, products, ect in your home, please add to the list!