Considering Changing Vets

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I've used the same vet clinic for my two Bullies ever since I got them. My oldest is just three. But during that time, all the vets at the clinic have changed. They have a massive turnover of professional help. The only original one left is the vet who runs the place, and he isn't the owner. Frankly, that makes me nervous. I think my dogs have gotten very good treatment at the clinic. I have no specific complaints. But seeing six or eight (I forget the exact number) come and go during just three years bothers me. I was told that this clinic hires the best and brightest right out of vet school, then expects them to move on to higher paying positions within a couple of years. That does seem to conform to my observations. What do you think? Is having a long term relationship with a particular vet so important? Or, should I stick with the clinic and just expect a new face every few months?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I like finding a good bully vet that I trust and stick with them. They know your bully and you and their history.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree too, it would be the same wether you stay at that clinic or move because they have such a high turn over rate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I like going to the same vet each time my babies need to be seen.... they know the quirks and history. seeing a different person each time would make me nervous too

bulldogs rule

Jun 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlotte & no name for 2nd yet
Having a long term relationship with a vet that you trust is very important...but...trust in your vet is more important then the length of the relationship with the clinic. I too had to make the decision to change vets/clinic after being at the same clinic for over 12 years with my 2 bullies & 1 cat because the vets kept changing & I ended up with one that was not knowledgeable enough on bulldog issues. The vet was a good Dr & fine person but my baby (other baby had already passed at 11yrs 4mths - cat at 18yrs) who was almost 9yrs old was having life-threating issues that the doc was not able to diagnose much less come up with a treatment plan. Long story short my baby did pass at 9yrs 2mths but the vet we ended up with was at least able to tell me why she was having problems & not getting any better even though she was on 5 (yes..5) different medications. Previously undiagnosed ellongated soft palate issues that due to her weaked state & age we could not treat to save her life.

My gut kept telling me to switch vets but I stayed because we had been with that clinic for so long & always received excellent care. The day I decided to make the move
I asked myself "if this was a human member of my family would I continue to take them to a Dr. that I didn't feel was treating them appropiately?" Many years ago, I was faced with a simular situation when a family member was diagnosed with terminal cancer. We didn't hesitate then to change doctors. I called a new vet that very same day & was able to get her an appointment. Even though my Olivia didn't get any better I learned a very valuable lesson. Loyalty to my loved ones (human or animal) is more important than loyalty to a clinic.

If you don't have a vet that you feel can give your bully the very best of care make the change to another vet regardless of how long you have been going there. It could be the difference between her life & her death.

Members online

No members online now.