Chasing cars

Karen100

Apr 14, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie,Taylor,Gatsby
Yesterday I almost lost two of my bullies. Our driveway is 1000 feet long and while I had the dogsoutside someone turned around at the bottom of our drive and both dogs took off and chased the car . They went down the drive and onto the road about 1/4 mile before I could .I got the traffic stopped, but they could have been killed . If anyone even comes up the drive they run at the car and get under the front wheels. Need Help.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Karen, that's really scary. I'm glad your bullies are okay but i can imagine how frightening that must've been for you and for them! I'm assuming you don't have a gate or a fence? If that's the case then best to have the bullies on-leash with you at all times that they are outside. My front yard is not fenced and i cannot have mine loose in that part, but the backyard is so they have free reign to roam as they like.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I had a boxer that used to chase the UPS truck down the street while biting at the tires. He would do this every time he got out if the house. Never did stop him from biting tires but did manage to keep him either in the house or backyard where he was safe. It's pretty scary to watch so I know what your going through. I wouldn't let them out front without a leash.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
I've been workign with my two bullies on knowing their limits for this reason. I started with the door to the garage. I would go into the gasrage and tell them to stay at the door. After a while they learned that they could not go past the door into the garage with out me saying its ok. After I got that down so flawlessly that they would wait at the door for hours, lol, I started to work on the front door. Slowly at first, just going to get the mail and coming right back. We are now at the point where they know they have to stay inside when i go out until they are called, but they are still very fidgety about it. After they have that down, i'll work them on the front yard. Having them stay at the what ever boundry I set for them and go in and out until they get they idea that they have to stay in an area I set for them. It worked great for my dog when I was younger and so far is workign great with my two bullies. Be prepared to spend time on it though, its one of those commands that has to be followed 100% before moving on, cause obviously its that important.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry to hear that and I'm really happy you were able to stop the traffic like that, that could have been a disaster! Our front yard and drive way is gated and only when it is shut will we allow Buster out in the front. [MENTION=9302]ltpyro[/MENTION] gave you some great advice above, we've pretty much trained Buster to stop at the door and not come out unless we say it's ok we also taught him the command "Back up" and he will not go out, it does take time but they do learn.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It makes sense to me that they have to be on a leash, if not fenced. As has happened-you can't control it if someone decides to pull into-or turn around in your drive.
You were very lucky that they didn't get hurt or killed. Better not take a chance like that again. When you have MORE than one dog-they are usually braver about doing
things,too. It's like having little kids-unpredictable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
that is a tough one to break.... best to keep them on lead at all times if not fenced in

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We have the invisible fence with the shock collars that keep our boys in the yard. We just put them on to go out and potty if we can't give them our undivided attention. They're really easy to use and train and there is a pretty mind setting. And it beeps before it shocks to tell them if they don't go back they will get a shock. I'm positive that they've saved our dogs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad they are OK, and I agree either leash them or get a fence.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I have that problem solved. My two are on the driveway with me, and they do not cross onto the sidewalk and go off property. I started by using the electric fence and collars. That worked, and quickly taught them the boundary line. Nowadays, I keep electric training collars on them, and use the correction to teach them not to react to the trucks going by, or people coming by on bicycles with dogs on long leashes, etc. That has worked too. I would never NEVER leave my dogs unattended, regardless of their training. But, using the electric collars, either automatic like the fence, or hand actuated like the training collars, will work very effectively.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so glad your babies are okay, and nothing happened, it must have been really scary to watch as they were running toward the traffic. It could have turned out really bad. I agree with everyone, that they should be kept on a leash when out front, and only left off leash in a fenced area or backyard. I can't let my guys off leash in the open, they will not walk beside me, and would definetely run out into the traffic. We only let them off leash in a leash free dog park, or in a fenced in backyard, or in a park that has no traffic around it, and no danger of running off. They are so unpredictable, will come sometimes when I call them, but if they don't want to, they ignore me.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
We can't let Charley out front either. Last year someone came through our street on horseback. He followed the horse to the end of the street. I tried running backwards and offering treats, but that huge critter was far more interesting. Fortunately the rider had good control!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Please do not let them run out, they could have gotten hurt or killed, that is so scary. Elmo and my other dogs have a 6ft. privacy fenced in back yard, which is 2 1/2 acres, I have a deck that also has a gate where they can go out into the fenced yard, I never let them out in the front yard, we keep them in our Den where we are, the living room and the den have a gate across it so they cannot go in the living room where the front door is.

Most Reactions