Add 2nd Bulldog now while current puppy is 5 months or wait til he's a little older

lylazoo

Feb 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn
Please advise if you know. I have a bulldog baby (my first) who is now 5 months. He is fantastic and gets along great with my other dog. I want to add a second bulldog baby boy as well. Would it be best to do it soon so they are puppies and grow up together or wait til my current boy Finn is a littler older (say maybe a year) so he gets his full attention while he's a puppy? I've been told both. Some say he will be jealous if i wait til he's holder and others think he needs his individual puppy time to be adored and cherished on his own. I want to do what's best for him first and foremost. Any advice?

The current baby i have will be fixed at 6 months if that matters. 10155992_728313107190409_4427737610286184843_n.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
World toughest question!! Lol

I honestly think there is no right or wrong to this.... It what will suit you and your family individually. If I were you, write a list of pros and cons for both and see if anything you think is important to you and your family that cannot be ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Pups now for me. I think you want to integrate as young as poss to stop the green eyed monster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, he's so cute!! Just wanted to say that I have a "Finn" also.

I'm not sure which is "best". It's nice to have two pups growing up and bonding together. Do you have the time to care for two puppies right now? that's a lot of work! Sorry i'm of no help but i don't think you will go wrong with whichever route you choose.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree-it's mainly if YOU can handle it! In my lifetime, I have had all combinations-of ages. I do think when they are younger, they welcome a pup faster because they are still very playful. Though mine have always done well-some grown dogs don't want to be "bugged" by a persistent pup. It depends on you-it's like having twin human babies! If you can deal with it-they will!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I think the same as everyone else "what can you handle?". Two puppies will entertain each other. Growing up together I think you will have less jealousy in the long run, but........ will it drive you crazy?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We got our second dog when our oldest was about 11 months. Our oldest who was 100% housebroken regressed for about a month and started to go in the house because the puppy was making mistakes in the house. He also started chewing on things he wasn't suppose to while the puppy was teething. We had to retrain the older one again, which fortunately was very quick (a week to get him housebroken again and a couple of weeks with the chewing).

Looking back would I have waited? No way. We joke that they are best friends all the time. When we decided on a 2nd dog it was mainly because we couldn't keep up with Sully's playfulness. When we brought mi'me home they played with each other and needed us less to play with them.

3 years went by and we decided to introduce our EB into the mix. It took about a month before the house was balanced but the older two definitely do not have the same relationship with our EB as they have with each other. Their playfulness level is off. Curly wants to play all the time and the other two are content with sleeping all day.

There is also a definite bond that our older dogs have that they don't have with Curls. They always cuddle with each other, lay next to each other.Sometimes I want to get another pup so curly can have a buddy close to his age but the husband has put his foot down and said no more dogs lol

Though it sounds like curly has no buddies, he loves my husband so much that when my mom came to visit recently she said my husband finally has his own dog (the older two are attached to me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.