English Bulldog Care & Characteristics

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Howdy all,

Almost seven years ago I became the proud owner of an English Bulldog. I love that dog more than most people I meet. Anyway, living with Duke has been an on-going learning affair. I never had anyone so depending on me. He has taught me patience and endurance. I think Iā€™ve taught him the same. Iā€™m not a vet or anybody of importance
(except to Duke), This is my knowledge I share with you.

So, to get on with the subject of this article, English Bulldogs give all their love and affection to family members. They will protect their family with all their power and tenacity. This is a territorial thing. When out in public, taking walks that territory disappears and they are happy to meet everyone and every dog. This becomes a problem because they know no enemies. Some dogs arenā€™t always friendly. So, If another dog starts aggression, an English Bulldog will end the problem. My dog took on three beagles, he was holding one down with his paw, chewing on him,
a second one he kept biting when he got close, and the third one went a running after Duke gnawed on his tail. It took all my effort and the neighborā€™s effort to break that fight up. Needless to say the beagleā€™s keep their distance from Duke.

Like most puppies, English Bulldogs love to chew. So, your furniture will take the toll. The problem is it usually takes about a year and a half for them to grow out of this phase. So buy them lots of hard rubber toys, or extremely soft rubber toys. Anything in between they will destroy in seconds. Also Bulldogs crave attention and contact with people. They will suffer depression when left alone for long periods of time.
So if your single and working away from home, English Bulldogs are not for you.
However, if someone is always at home, and you want a truly loyal companionā€¦ā€¦. They will give you 110% of devoted love back to you. They are extremely intelligent when it comes to getting what they want. Tenacious (stubborn) when they donā€™t get it their way. So you have got to be a pack leader all the time to give these dogs what they want. (They want attention with authority from you)
These dogs need a running space for exercise. They love big balls. Like a basketball or bigger to chase all over the yard. They love playing soccer.
The other game is tug-a-war. While playing thses games they may try to be aggressive so it's up to you to set the ground rules fron the start. Other wise you'll have aggression issues which are sometimes hard to resolve.
So what are some other peculiar traits? Well, English Bulldogs have a lot of medical issues starting from the day they are born. You see most female English Bulldogs must give birth by a C-section because their canals are to small. That is why the cost of an English Bulldog puppy, which is AKC registered, is so high. They often cost between $1000.00 USD to $3000.00 USD if they are AKA registered.. So you really need to know what to ask about when purchasing an English Bulldog. The character features that makes English Bulldogs short and stout, is dwarfism.
So ask the following questions:
Did his parents have breathing or choking problems? A lot of English Bulldogs have narrow sinuses and throats. This can be corrected with surgery. But can be avoided if first asked.
Did his parents have eye socket problems? They sometimes have problems, which again surgery can repair. Also again it can be avoided if asked.
Did his parents have hip and bone joint problems? This is a serious problem with English Bulldogs. Those that develop it can be fixed but the condition will come back. Only exercise and therapy can slow down the degeneration. Again avoided if asked.
The number one problem 98% of English Bulldogs have is allergies. This will cause skin rash problems in the ears, eyes, chest and behind, along with hair loss. Changing dog food, to a non-allergenic mixture will help along with using stainless steel food and water dishes. Yes, English Bulldogs have been known to be allergic to plastic.
Most hair loss will be during winter months and is caused by the lack of vitamin D.(Sunlight) Melatonin will help but be advised that it will make your bulldog drowsy and docile. So unless you own a tanning booth.......I recommend a vitamin D shot or vitamin D tablets. I also give Duke a monthly bath of non-allergenic oatmeal liquid soap. The wrinkles in the face and ears need cleaned often due to allergies. The more wrinkles and tilted nose, the better the judges will like them. But the more maintenance you will have. So the more you monitor their diet to adjust to their allergies, The less cleaning of wrinkles and ears youā€™ll have to do.
Okay one more thing to look at when buying an English Bulldogā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..
First check out his tail. A cork screw tail, although prized for in AKA
competition, you need to avoid. But if you have your heart set on a cork screw tail be advised that cork screw tails sometimes cover up their poop shoot. So, unless you wipe the dogs butt after every yard muffin making session, he will get impacted anal glands. This is extremely painful to the dog. My dog Duke has a cork screw tail. So yeah, I wipe his behind after every completed mission.
(Thatā€™s REAL love folks)
English Bulldogs are expensive to purchase and can be to maintain their health. But cost can be kept low by choosing wisely and maintaining their diet needs.
Knowing this, choose wisely before adopting. I recommend you buy only from an AKA kennel in the USA. Still wanting one? Canā€™t afford the price? Keep in mind a lot of English Bulldogs end up at the SPCA free to loving homes because the original owners didnā€™t know what they where getting into. So if you still want one but canā€™t afford the price, keep checking out English Bulldog rescue adoption agencies on the internet, and your local SPCA. But make sure it is AKA registered.

Thatā€™s about it for now.
Have a great day!
Mike Blaylock

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Very well said, Mike Blaylock!!! But if it's rescued, you won't know if it's AKA regisitered or not...

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Couldn't have said it better myself and i've had mine less than a year.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That sums it all up!! :up:

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Well put!!
I was wondering if I was the
only one who wiped there
dogs rear-end.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] I think that just comes with the territory. lol. My boy is good 99% of the time but that 1% you better watch out for. :p

everdream

Dec 17, 2010
Houston, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Hoagie
I'm single and work away from home and my Hoagie couldn't be happier. Well, ok, maybe he would be if I was home all the time, but he is a very happy boy and has never shown any signs of depression...only playfulness and love. He does have a pug brother, but they are separated while I'm away. I do know I got lucky with Hoagie, because I think he is perfect in every way. :luv:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Well put Mike Blaylock! I think it is important to research the breeder when buying a Bulldog. Go to dog shows and spend some time talking to the people showing Bulldogs. Also, it is nice, when possible to have 2 dogs. They bond with each other and are much happier when left alone!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Must admit that I didn't know that about the corkscrew tail .... Daddy has a cork screw tail but I think his twists so that it doesn't cover his "poop shoot". However, it's something I'm going to watch carefully!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Also, it is nice, when possible to have 2 dogs. They bond with each other and are much happier when left alone!

Ummmm...have you met Vegas and Orion? I'm kidding. Vegas is much happier :crazy: with Orion around. Good advice.

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Very well said, Sir! I have found already with our new bully (11 wk old Daisy) that she needs to be in close proximity to us. She likes to chew her bones while resting a paw on my leg, or even while laying across our lap. Thanks for the wonderful information.

OP
Mike Blaylock

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Actually I wouldn't reccomend giving a bone to a bulldog because a lot of them have narrow throats and may choke on it. I'd stick to hard rubber toys
such as...Invincible Rings and Kong toys. Or if it's super soft rubber with a lot of stretch like the rubber chickens from Petsmart.He's also got a couple of tarter control toys made of hard rubber that he loves to spend hours chewing. Everything else that's in between.......will last about ten seconds with Duke. Especially stuffed or cotton toys. He lays one paw on the body, grabs with his teeth and it's....RRRRRRRRRRIP! Good-bye toy.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.