Herschel Gave Me a Scare!

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I had taken Herschel and Fiona for a ride this past weekend. I stopped at a fast food place to grab a bite, and parked in the parking lot to eat and share a small treat with "the kids". A guy walked up to his car and Herschel had a fit! Ferocious barking like I had never heard before. I can probably count on my hands how many times he has barked since he came to live with me almost two years ago. I trust my dogs when it comes to this so I locked my door. The guy left and Hersch calmed down. I got out to take my trash to the bin and I opened the back of my CRV to clean up any mess the babies made and I about fainted. Herschel was dripping blood. I mean, blood all down his chest, on his paws, bubbling out of his mouth. I stayed calm and ran to grab a bottle of water out of the front and some wash rags (Hersch is a drooler so I always have towels around.) I am still somewhat freaking out and I thought "Oh my GOD! He bit FIONA!". I looked and her and she is happy as pie, grinning and not a drop of blood on her.

Anyway, I start cleaning him off. Bloody drool still coming out of his mouth... that's when I see it.

He bit his own lip while barking. The teeniest, tiniest little cut from a tooth. He is so slobbery that the blood mixed with the saliva and looked 100x worse than what it was.

I rinsed his mouth out... it had already stopped bleeding. Both dogs staring at me like I was a moron for freaking out a bit.

Sigh.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Truly these bulldogs are going to kill us with worry

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that Herschel is okay! If the guy had seen that-he would have ran away pretty fast!! Could've been the remains of the last guy who walked up to your car!!:bulldog:You are well protected.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! That would have freaked me out too! Happy he's ok and happy he's such a great watchdog. :)

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Oh wow this would have freaked me out as well!!! I am so glad he is ok!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
So Glad Herschel is Ok, this would have scared me to death. I worry about Elmo, just want Him and all of these Precious Bullys on EBN to always be Healthy.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would've freaked out myself, Danielle! I'm glad Herschel is okay. Did his tooth have to be looked at or anything? Herschel is definitely protecting his momma and sister (and car)! Finn and Tate bark like heck whenever someone knocks on my front door. Finn will also rush the front window and put his mouth right on the glass, barking crazily. Leaves me some very funky bulldog "art work"!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Wow that is full on !! Glad everyone is alright. My friends dog that was nice as pie, but would freak out BIG time if anyone went near her car. Even when I knew the dog her really well outside the car I would not go near her when she was in her owner car, she was so proctective, she was not a bulldog a working dog.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
So happy Herschel is okay!!!! 😃❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I would've freaked out myself, Danielle! I'm glad Herschel is okay. Did his tooth have to be looked at or anything? Herschel is definitely protecting his momma and sister (and car)! Finn and Tate bark like heck whenever someone knocks on my front door. Finn will also rush the front window and put his mouth right on the glass, barking crazily. Leaves me some very funky bulldog "art work"!

No problems with the tooth. It seems he just pinched his big ol' drooly lip. The cut was soooooo tiny. He didn't even act like it hurt. He was just all wiggly and happy like normal.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Wow that is full on !! Glad everyone is alright. My friends dog that was nice as pie, but would freak out BIG time if anyone went near her car. Even when I knew the dog her really well outside the car I would not go near her when she was in her owner car, she was so proctective, she was not a bulldog a working dog.

Herschel has never had this reaction before. Other people, men and women, came and went. He just hated this one guy. I have a magnet on the back of my car "If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I!" and I mean it. I trust that judgement. Something has to be off for Herschel to react.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Guy have on a hat, sunglasses or a beard? Sometimes those items alone or together freak a dog out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.