Bursts of the crazies! Need advice!

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
First, you must know that Meatball is ALWAYS ALWAYS hyper! However, at least twice a day he gets this crazy burst of energy! Tonight he got SO crazy, he took out the cocktail table, flew over me on the couch, and than he actually tried to jump over my 5 year old who was standing there! Obviously he didn't make it over her head, and he took her out as well!! She's fine, more scared than anything.

How do you stop this? He goes to camp 3-5 times a week for play. According to camp he does not stop and plays hard! He goes for nightly walks. I mean we can't excercise him 24 hours a day. I'm about to put him on the treadmill. Any advice? My 5 and 4 year old are going to get hurt!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How old is meatball now? We used to call this the zoomies. It usually goes away by 1yr old. Lots of walks, or maybe fetch in the yard where he can run?? May I Suggest helmets for the kiddies?! Ok sorry, it's not funny. Really though, as much exercise as you can jam into the day the better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy wow.... If he is getting all that exercise and still 'spazzing' that much... I would wonder if he has something going on health wise.... ??

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Holy wow.... If he is getting all that exercise and still 'spazzing' that much... I would wonder if he has something going on health wise.... ??
We asked the vet at his last appointment. He for blood drawn etc, he's good!! Vet says he just has lots of energy.

- - - Updated - - -

How old is meatball now? We used to call this the zoomies. It usually goes away by 1yr old. Lots of walks, or maybe fetch in the yard where he can run?? May I Suggest helmets for the kiddies?! Ok sorry, it's not funny. Really though, as much exercise as you can jam into the day the better.
I may just buy helmets or full body gear Lol! He's 2 years old

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea does the same thing about an hour before bed time. We just try to distract her as much as we can until she calms down.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
We asked the vet at his last appointment. He for blood drawn etc, he's good!! Vet says he just has lots of energy.

- - - Updated - - -

I may just buy helmets or full body gear Lol! He's 2 years old
Well crap, there goes my theory of it going away at 1. Lol

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Harlea does the same thing about an hour before bed time. We just try to distract her as much as we can until she calms down.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Funny you say that. He gets like this right before bedtime and for some reason when he first gets home from camp.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We went through the same thing with Lola. She would go absolutely nuts twice a day and attack my daughter or me (whoever was closer). She was just playing but she was so heavy that the body slams really hurt. It went on until we got Leo. Then they used each other to launch their ninja attacks instead of us. They still do it.

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
First, you must know that Meatball is ALWAYS ALWAYS hyper! However, at least twice a day he gets this crazy burst of energy! Tonight he got SO crazy, he took out the cocktail table, flew over me on the couch, and than he actually tried to jump over my 5 year old who was standing there! Obviously he didn't make it over her head, and he took her out as well!! She's fine, more scared than anything.

How do you stop this? He goes to camp 3-5 times a week for play. According to camp he does not stop and plays hard! He goes for nightly walks. I mean we can't excercise him 24 hours a day. I'm about to put him on the treadmill. Any advice? My 5 and 4 year old are going to get hurt!

Deal with it. Most bulldogs do this - tear around the house, jumping on furniture, diving under tables weaving around like roller-coasters out of control. This behaviour is usually followed by a lengthy nap and a few farts.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I call it a "bully hour" or a "bully run" -as it said before most of bull breeds i had pleasure to live with do this -i usually try to stop and separate the one that goes nutty first and wheny girls got "one smaller room to run in" they usually stop -i usually go and brush them after i notice they starting to calm down to create a "wind down time" ;-)

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
Charlei does this at least once a day and she is almost 2, I usually stand back and just let her get it out. I do worry she is going to hurt herself one day though... She sometimes slams into walls and furniture along the way.:mellow:

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Ripley Jaxon & Bentley Winston
We call it the "Bulldog Shuffle" Both Bentley and Ripley do it at no particular time of the day.. I am always afraid they are going to take my knees out. It is funny, but you try and stop them before they get injured or they break something in the house.. You gotta love Bulldogs..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My girls have this "syndrome" twice a day. Once around noon and the second just before bed. They run and wrestle with each other, and I just stay out of the way. It is always when there is something on night tv that I especially want to hear-and can't hear a thing due to the growling!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Yep..Bubba does the same thing, about twice a day. Usually it's after he goes out and takes a poo. I call it his 'wild hair'. Just stand back and for about 5 minutes he's a wild man! He also does it right before he takes a long nap. Right after he calms down..he's out snoring and dead to the world! The only thing I can tell you is that when he gets into those moods, make sure your kids know that they should stay away and be sitting down. Poor little guys!

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Bodie used to do this too! A lot of times it was when he came back inside from doing his "business" outside. We called it "crackhead mode"! Story is that when he went outside he got his "secret stash of crack" and was hitting the pipe!! Lol!
He doesn't do it so much anymore. Every once in a while he'll go into crackhead mode, but I guess it's a good thing he's a recovering addict and only relapses once in a while!!!!!!!!!!!

BullyLove!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online