Emotional Support Animal Process??

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Can anyone help me? We want to register Gunner as an ESA for our 13 yr old son with Aspergers and mild cognitive delays, ADHD. I know I need some documentation from our doctor. But what else do I need? Have any of you done this before?
I cannot believe the stress level that DS had before and how much calmer he is now, especially with storms. It's crazy. As long as he has Gunner with him, he's mellow as can be.
Thought I'd check here :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are members her with experience..... [MENTION=7064]mer55[/MENTION]. , I think is one and another I can not remember right now

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2152]kim n the guys[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Can anyone help me? We want to register Gunner as an ESA for our 13 yr old son with Aspergers and mild cognitive delays, ADHD. I know I need some documentation from our doctor. But what else do I need? Have any of you done this before?
I cannot believe the stress level that DS had before and how much calmer he is now, especially with storms. It's crazy. As long as he has Gunner with him, he's mellow as can be.
Thought I'd check here :)

WOW… we need to talk :w00t: my 13 yr old daughter just got diagnosed w/mild Aspergers, anxiety and may have a sensory processing disorder and ADD. I JUST posted about this today… small world!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I think you will just need to have him evaluated by one of the therapy dog groups. Start with your local humane society- explain the situation, and they will point you in the right direction. Good luck!!

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
I am currently going through the process of getting Tucker therapy certified. There is a difference between a therapy dog and service dog. There is an immense amount of training that must go into getting an animal certified as a service animal. The requirements for a therapy dog are slightly less demanding. I would suggest you start by looking to get Gunner is AKC Canine Good Citizen certification from an accredited trainer (information can be found here on the CGC and CGCA tests). This will prepare him for the test he will need to take to be certified for therapy. From there you will need to select which group you want to get him tested under for his therapy license. I know in South Carolina, there are several different groups that certify therapy dogs, each with their own requirements. One of these groups is Therapy Dogs International.

Like I mentioned, I am currently getting Tucker certified (awaiting a CGC test in the area and will do some training again before Therapy Test) so I can do some work with students within my school with emotional and developmental disabilities. The therapy certification will allow me to do this.

Two qualifications at least from my experience were that the organization requires they be at least a year old and neutered before they will even test for therapy qualifications.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online