Worried about anesthesia administered during neuter

jsa516

Apr 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi everyone. I have a 6 month old puppy and we are thinking of getting him neutered this month. However, english bulldogs are prone to issues with anesthesia . I worry that something could happen to him. How has everyone's experience been with anesthesia ? Have you gone to a vet that has specifically neutered bulldogs before? Love him to death and don't want anything to happen to him.

Thanks,
Jen

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You need to have a vet who knows about English Bulldogs and the correct anaesthesia for them. Neutering is not the danger-the vet needs to be experienced with Bullies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: There is a better one to use with bullies..... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Blueberrys Mom is right, just make sure that the vet will be using Isoflurane as the anesthesia and everything will be ok. :welcome: to EBN!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
agree above!! I actually told my vet before hand I wanted that and he told me he was already planning on it. So that was a good sign for me. And she did great! I havnt experienced anything except a little runny poop but that may be her antibiotics she is taking

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Dido everything everyone else said. Riggins was neutered and took it like a champ, poor little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My 3 Bulldogs are all neutered/spayed, and it went well:) Just make sure you go to an experienced vet, possible also one that has the equipment to act IF something would to go wrong, which I'm sure it wont:no: Like mentioned before the anesthetic is important, ask what kind they use and read up on it. Don't let your baby eat or drink anything before the operation. I take away food at around 6pm and water at 9pm the night before to make sure they have time to get it out of their tummies. I've heard some vets say a few hours are enough but I strongly disagree. Ask your vet about that to make sure. I always book mine in for mornings so they don't have to wait a whole day without eating or drinking. I also stress A LOT, I drive my husband crazy and probably the vet too:ashamed: Hugs to you:hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just make sure you use a good bully vet and everything should go well.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus came through his neuter at 6 months without any issues at all. He did have a little bit of gas and some runny poops but that was it.
He's going in for another surgery tomorrow (it couldn't be done with his neuter) so hopefully it will go just as well

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Barkley got neutered and had his palate repaired in February and then less than a month later we found out he had bladder stones and had to have surgery again to remove them! Everything went great both times, there were no issues at all during or after!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Also, they said nothing to eat or drink after 10pm the night before which is what we did. And they gave us a timeframe to drop him off, I dropped him off the earliest I could so I think he was the first one to have surgery and the vet called me less than an hour after saying he was all done! That way I didn't have to worry all day about it!

OP
jsa516

jsa516

Apr 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot more confident about the anesthesia now. I'll make sure to let the vet know we need to use Isoflurane for his procedure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.