URGENT!! My puppy is having poop issues

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princes Lulu (RIP 4/2/14) & Lucinda Mahoney aka Lucy
My little Lucy who we have had for 2 weeks has had diarrhea issues since day one. She was dewormed on 3/31/14 and we brought her home on 4/4/14. I took her to the vet the following Monday 4/7/14. The vet put her on Albon for her kennel cough and to clear up her diarrhea also dewormed her again on the same visit. I give her probiotic gel every other day and fisorbits vitamin everyday. The Royal Canin gastro canned food the vet suggested gave Lucy more diarrhea (it was not pretty at all). On 4/12/14 I took her back to the vet and he stopped the antibiotics and the special food. He said to start her on dry food. She would have normal poop in the AM and water by the evening. I have had her on boiled chicken and rice with pedialyte since yesterday afternoon but I noticed some yellow grayish poop this morning and then she had some watery bright yellow poop

Sorry for the very long and explicit post but I am really worried about my Lucy. I don't know what else to do and I don't want the vet to keep pumping her full of meds and playing a guessing game every visit.

By the way she tested negative for Parvo and Giardia. She is also super bouncy and borderline Chihuahua type hyper. Her coat looks great, she has a healthy appetite and she is maintaining her weight also.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: My puppy is having poop issues

She may be having problems with the fast food change, is she eating dry kibble now?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie gets stomach issues a lot. Last time she had severe diarrhea we kept her off food. She had a virus at that time, but had poop like you described. Maybe try not feeding her for a day or two. Get her system back on balance then introduce the boiled chicken/rice. She will hate that but give her system some time to calm down with out food and clear her out. Make sure she drinks though.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Could it be the chicken? Meatball can't handle chicken. My husband once gave him left over chicken breasts, he exploded water for 24 hours. Has the same problem with chicken dog food/treats

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with the gang (good job, y'all) it could be a lil bit of all the above.

And good on you that you don't want to pump her full of meds w/out
knowing the issue. It's hard seeing her like this and I'm so glad she's
got good energy. I agree you should just give Pedialyt & water for about
12 hrs then try boiled hamburger, well drained w/plain white rice in small
amounts as maybe Lucy is sensitive to chicken. If she does better on that,
introduce her kibble a little at a time (what kibble & protein is it). Buy some
pure pumpkin (not pie mix) and mix a bit of the Pedyt/water w/it, might
firm up her poo. Gold Bond Powder will help her lil sore bum. Give us updates
and I'll pray that Lucy gets better asap! GOD bless y'all!

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Most of what your describing sounds like coccidia. Bella had diarrhea from the time I got her. Albon is what most vets use to treat it. Hers was do bad I had to do two ( two weeks each) rounds of albon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I agree you should just give Pedialyt & water for about 12 hours
then try boiled hamburger, well drained w/plain white rice in small
amounts as maybe Lucy is sensitive to chicken. If she does better,
introduce her kibble a little at a time~what kibble & protein is it?

Wait at least a week, maybe two weeks before slowly introducing
the kibble. I'd put her on a grain free *possibly chicken & chicken fat
free. I moisten dry kibble w/water & microwave about 20 secs, it
releases scent & stimulates appetite and water moistened helps keep
them properly hydrated as they don't always drink enough water.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
You got some great advise above. I too would take away the chicken and try the beef bland diet for a couple days. I too have a dog that does not do well with chicken and as soon as I cut that out of his diet his stool cleared right up and everything has been great since.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Most of what your describing sounds like coccidia. Bella had diarrhea from the time I got her. Albon is what most vets use to treat it. Hers was do bad I had to do two ( two weeks each) rounds of albon .

Great help, I thought of this too so have her checked out.
It can be difficult to fully eradicate this so be diligent.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... Could be a mix of changing foods and all the meds, but was she checked for coccidiosis as anther member suggested? Also, how old is Lucy?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could also be too much food being served, try cutting back on the amount just a little and see if that helps.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My little Lucy who we have had for 2 weeks has had diarrhea issues since day one. She was dewormed on 3/31/14 and we brought her home on 4/4/14. I took her to the vet the following Monday 4/7/14. The vet put her on Albon for her kennel cough and to clear up her diarrhea also dewormed her again on the same visit. I give her probiotic gel every other day and fisorbits vitamin everyday. The Royal Canin gastro canned food the vet suggested gave Lucy more diarrhea (it was not pretty at all). On 4/12/14 I took her back to the vet and he stopped the antibiotics and the special food. He said to start her on dry food. She would have normal poop in the AM and water by the evening. I have had her on boiled chicken and rice with pedialyte since yesterday afternoon but I noticed some yellow grayish poop this morning and then she had some watery bright yellow poop

Sorry for the very long and explicit post but I am really worried about my Lucy. I don't know what else to do and I don't want the vet to keep pumping her full of meds and playing a guessing game every visit.

By the way she tested negative for Parvo and Giardia. She is also super bouncy and borderline Chihuahua type hyper. Her coat looks great, she has a healthy appetite and she is maintaining her weight also.

Please go to www.epi4dogs.com. this is exactly what happened to my Bella. The Yellowy poos is a major sign. Ask your vet to do the blood test. It is congenitsl, so if positive the health guarentee from the breeder should be discussed. If you hsve any questions. Please do not hesitate to contact me

OP
L

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I thank everyone for all their input. I am taking Lucy tomorrow to the vet and will ask him to test her for coccidiosis and EPI. I started the bland diet of beef and rice this morning with pedialyte. Let's see how she does the next 24 hours. Again thank you all so much.

OP
L

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi everyone! I took Lucy to the vet and he diagnosed her with gastroenteritis and prescribed metronidazole and sulfasalazine along with a bland diet for 5 days. I am supposed to mix in tiny bits of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal for the next 2 weeks then start weaning her into her forever food and keep her on probiotics every other day for another 2 weeks. She is already doing much better. Thank you everyone for your advice.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online