Getting spayed tomorrow

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Lola is 24 weeks old today and she gets spayed tomorrow. Wish her luck!

Her vet also recommended widening her nasal passages while she is already under. However, she has no breathing problems at this time so I'm leery of having a procedure done that she may not really need. I realize that her nasal openings could get worse as she continues to grow, but there is also the possibility that they won't get any worse or could get better. Again, she doesn't have any breathing issues at this time that I'm aware of. Also, my vet does have a few other bulldog patients but she is by no means a bulldog expert (in my opinion) and there aren't any in my area or I would be taking her there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some people that are familiar w/the nares… Good luck and keep us posted!!!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
im no help but good luck! sending love <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I had this done for two of my bullies.... since she is so young, not sure why he wants to do this unless they are really tight and she may not show signs, but he can tell by the look they will be an issue down the road. My Frenchie, at 8 mths, our vet told us, he will need nares and palete done, but I will not touch until he is two and done growing. Our boy Nitschke, our vet said the same thing... he will need something done, but wait till he is two and re-evaluate.

Cheli (Frenchie) had nares widened and palate reduction... he actually needed the palate done a second time due to scare tissue formed in his airway.

Nitschke (Bulldog) had nares, succules (spelling), palate and one other thing done at age 2.5, but all was identified at 6 mths

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I had this done for two of my bullies.... since she is so young, not sure why he wants to do this unless they are really tight and she may not show signs, but he can tell by the look they will be an issue down the road. My Frenchie, at 8 mths, our vet told us, he will need nares and palete done, but I will not touch until he is two and done growing. Our boy Nitschke, our vet said the same thing... he will need something done, but wait till he is two and re-evaluate.

Cheli (Frenchie) had nares widened and palate reduction... he actually needed the palate done a second time due to scare tissue formed in his airway.

Nitschke (Bulldog) had nares, succules (spelling), palate and one other thing done at age 2.5, but all was identified at 6 mths

The vet said that one of her nares looks like it may be a problem when she gets older. She (the vet) suggested doing them now while she is already under anesthesia. I would just rather wait and see if she really has a problem than having a surgical procedure done on her that may not be necessary. Not to mention the additional $200-$350 just to do the nares on top of the $430 I will already be paying for the spay.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If she's having no breathing issues now I would get a second opinion before I did anything. I agree that if it isn't necessary there's no reason to have it done, I hope everything goes well with Ms. McWigglebutt's spay tomorrow. :)

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If she's having no breathing issues now I would get a second opinion before I did anything. I agree that if it isn't necessary there's no reason to have it done, I hope everything goes well with Ms. McWigglebutt's spay tomorrow. :)

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet said that one of her nares looks like it may be a problem when she gets older. She (the vet) suggested doing them now while she is already under anesthesia. I would just rather wait and see if she really has a problem than having a surgical procedure done on her that may not be necessary. Not to mention the additional $200-$350 just to do the nares on top of the $430 I will already be paying for the spay.

If it were me... I'd wait too... But do what you are comfortable with

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We will keep her in our thoughts tomorrow, hoping for a great outcome and speedy recovery.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Get plenty of rest Lola and a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Her vet called and said that everything went great! We did NOT have anything done with her nares at this time. I'll be picking her up tomorrow afternoon around 3:30 PM.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.