Do you seatbelt?

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
We have ALWAYS belted Bodie in. We've only used the harness made by Top Paw, I can't think of the name of it, but it has an extra loop where the seatbelt slips through. It's also Bodie's "all the time" harness. It adjusts easily and has a "wooly" lining.
To keep my car from being destroyed by him I use a pet hammock that covers the whole backseat, but has a zipper in the middle for the occasional back seat rider. Only problem I've had with the hammock itself is that it has 2 adjustable straps that go over the back headrests and they both have unravelled. Idk if it was due to the sunlight and heat that hits them or from washing it or a combo of both! But it had cutouts for the seatbelt buckles and a few little pockets for storing leashes, h2o bottles, etc... This has protected my leather seats from scratches and wear and tear.
Even though Bodie is belted in, he still lays down and goes to sleep almost immediately! He also has his own small pillow for that! And I added another flat pillow to put btwn him and the door panel to protect the interior of the door from his lil toes!!
As for Kevin...u may have a hard time convincing him that the backseat can be just as fun as the center console!! But his safety is #1 !! Since he's only 6mos old, maybe u won't have such a battle with switching up his routine a little...fingers crossed!!! He is a gorgeous fella though!!!!!

BullyLove!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We used to seatbelt Banks, but she gets herself so in a twist that once she almost choked for being twisted in the seatbelt trying to get out of it. Banks is the odd on.... she HATES the car so to keep her settled we let her lay on the floor

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yeah, well...he's already used to riding, wedged in beside you.

Good luck with THAT change up, lol

And Tracey, I think he's trying NOT to show Kevin too much
because Rosalie & I have a very difficult time restraining our
selves from a kidnapping!

​@ddnene and [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

True, whenever I see Kevin, all logic goes out the window and I find myself sitting in the car with a pillow case and doggie treats!!:w00t:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
KEVIN!!!!!!! Love him.

It's a battle in the car to get the rottens to sit still. Ruthie likes to sit up front cause she is too little to see out the backseat window. Brutus likes to sit where Kevin does, but I hate that so I'm constantly pushing him into the back.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
We used to seatbelt Banks, but she gets herself so in a twist that once she almost choked for being twisted in the seatbelt trying to get out of it. Banks is the odd on.... she HATES the car so to keep her settled we let her lay on the floor

Christine... Cami hates riding in the car too :(

I miss riding w/my bullies...Brutus went everywhere!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

We had a pug that did this exact same thing and it scared the h3ll outta me so we used crates from that time on.

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I have the seat belt strap thing pictured above and it works pretty good.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Everyone wears a seatbelt in our car! Castor sits in the back seat on a big towel, and we use one of those seat belt attachments (like the one Leon showed).

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Well.. i guess Kevin will be seat belted in from now on once i get his new harness. It's not going to make the kids happy cuz Kevin called shotgun (he doesn't like the dark tinted windows in the back).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Christine... Cami hates riding in the car too :(

I miss riding w/my bullies...Brutus went everywhere!

:(. Nitschke was my co-pilot ... Took him everywhere and he would sit sort of like Kevin does... Head on the console Nd butt in the back.

We had a pug that did this exact same thing and it scared the h3ll outta me so we used crates from that time on.

We tried the crate, but she so hates the car, she went into hyperventilating... So we just leave her on the floor, she shakes a little, but is calm

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I recently , buckled up Porkie. I love the new Kong harness , it has loop to fit the seatbelt. Everyone here is awesome! I read and learn all these helpful tips and resources. I am first time EBD owner. I adopted Porkie four months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I ordered these seat belt clips last week, still waiting to get it... It hooks on to the harness. Back in Sweden about 10 years ago when I had a Jack Russel I had a special harness that worked kind of like this clip but it was specifically to belt down dogs with. Haven't found it here so I thought I'd try this:)

seatbelt.jpg

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
We use the Kurgo Zipline since Howie was a puppy. He is so used to having the whole backseat to himself.

Attachments

• IMG_8058.jpg
    IMG_8058.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 52

CharleisMom

Mar 18, 2014
BC, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlei
Just last week I saw a show that featured this topic and did testing on several dog harness' & seatbelts... the results were SHOCKING!!!
It was a Canadian broadcast, but I did find a video of essentially the same story that the Today show did (hope this video works)

http://www.today.com/video/today/49414536#49414536

I used to belt both of my babies in (I also have a Shepard/Bernese/Collie mix) until one day I really put some thought into what would happen if I ever got in an accident. After looking at where the harness' sat on there bodies, I really thought that the impact of where it would put pressure on them could potentially do more damage. I found a dog hammock that I still use which provides a barrier between the 2 front seats (well... It did until Charlei trampled it down - just bought a new one to replace it actually) At this point i figure it is a personal choice. I guess my hopes in using the hammok are that it would prevent them from flying to the front of the car upon impact, and they would just land on the floor. These are just my thoughts and in no way does this truly protect our fur kids, but we all have to do what we think is best. (Sometimes I wonder if I should even bring them on a car ride, but hate leaving them behind :( )
I am always searching for alternative options and think it's crazy that there are no regulations on products like this to truly provide protection.

Pic is of Charlei who repeatedly trampled through the hammock. Although cute, seriously need a better solution.
IMG_4246.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.