Do you seatbelt?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
The weather is turning nice and Kevin is getting old enough to run errands with me (drop kids off.. pick kids up.. etc). We've been working on car manners (rule #1 .. leather seats are not chew toys!) and he's doing great... however... i'm wondering if i should seat belt him down :unsure:.

I remember the horrible post i read on here a while ago about the car cash and the dog running away, so he always has his leash on.. but his favorite spot is to wedge himself between the two front seats and lay/lean on the center console.

(driving selfie.. um.. Kevin took this because it would have been unsafe if i did it..)
kevin-selfie.jpg

as you can see.. by 'wedge' i mean WEDGE.

Whats the best way to train a dog to be seat belted in (i assume with a harness).. but not destroy my car?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no advice on the seatbelt issue… I have never used one for my dogs, because they are always in the back. But OMG LOOK AT KEVIN… aren't we supposed to be seeing him on a regular basis?!! HMMmmm…LOL

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I always seat belt Ftse with his harness attachment to the seatbelt and he travels in the back of our car.

and what a great pic of Kevin agree with Tracey we need to see him more.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We just got one of the Julius harness's that has an attachment to hook to the seat belt, haven't tried it yet. You are right when you say it's best to do it but I've not tried it yet. Nice selfie there Kevin! Looking good boy!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We always buckle Harlea in. I don't want take any chances at all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
I have the same harness as pdolphin27 and have the seat belt attachment below and use it every time Leon comes in the car.
2atesu3u.jpg

Leon is echt en dikke boefje !!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am ashamed to say, NO, Vegas sits in the back and usually just lays down. Baaaaaad Momma!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yeah, well...he's already used to riding, wedged in beside you.

Good luck with THAT change up, lol

And Tracey, I think he's trying NOT to show Kevin too much
because Rosalie & I have a very difficult time restraining our
selves from a kidnapping!

​@ddnene and [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to have to order that Julius k-9 harness.. i love the personalized labels :)

I'm just not sure how big Kevin is going to get... He's 56lb's and not quite 6 months old yet.. I'll have to go grab the tape measure and check his girth again.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, well...he's already used to riding, wedged in beside you.

Good luck with THAT change up, lol

And Tracey, I think he's trying NOT to show Kevin too much
because Rosalie & I have a very difficult time restraining our
selves from a kidnapping!

​@ddnene and @brutus77

I'll take a few more pictures of him now that spring is here... All the pictures just looked the same with the grey and 'blah' weather :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to have to order that Julius k-9 harness.. i love the personalized labels :)

I'm just not sure how big Kevin is going to get... He's 56lb's and not quite 6 months old yet.. I'll have to go grab the tape measure and check his girth again.

Kevin's going to be a big boy! Buster is right around 55 pounds and almost 2 years old but this thing is totally adjustable, we got the size 2. The neck size was the wall I kept running into with most of the harness's out there but this thing is huge! and adjusted perfectly. They're used for police/rescue dogs in Europe and those are some big dogs! It's cool because there's a bunch of accessories you can get for it too. I never thought I would be so excited to find a harness like this. LOL!!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kevin's going to be a big boy! Buster is right around 55 pounds and almost 2 years old but this thing is totally adjustable, we got the size 2. The neck size was the wall I kept running into with most of the harness's out there but this thing is huge! and adjusted perfectly. They're used for police/rescue dogs in Europe and those are some big dogs! It's cool because there's a bunch of accessories you can get for it too. I never thought I would be so excited to find a harness like this. LOL!!

I am totally getting this one for Kevin!!

IMG_0969-1.jpg

hahaha..

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yes, we seatbelt and just as I would a child, I don't feel safe throwing my pup in the car without one. What if you got in an accident? Your dog would become a projectile! Especially if he sits in the middle like that. It also stops them from running all over the car!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yeah i dont use a seatbelt either. I have no idea what I will do when shes twice this size. She is always on my lap... im a bad mommy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.