Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Many of you know Orion thru her videos. My question is...Have any of you ever thought while watching her...she may have an enlongated palette? When she was checked at birth, the Dr said she was fine. When we had her spayed...the Dr said she was fine. She doesn't sound fine. She snores louder than a drunk trucker. She throws up phlegm almost after each meal..and she sounds like a very loud snoring bulldog, when she is actually wide awake. What are your thoughts? I'm wondering if you think it might be worth taking her in to have her examined. Her daddy, Chesty, had this procedure done a few years ago.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have absolutely NO experience of this .... I always thought that an elongated palate meant that food was often re-directed and coming out of their nose, and gagging on their food and water. BUT like I said, I have NO experience with this.

I know Orion does make the cute little noises .. and I sincerely believe from what I see on video that she does have the strongest and most defined little character you could get and that's what a lot of the noises are because the noises she makes are totally reflected in those defiant little eyes of hers. Now whether the noises she makes are louder than most other bulldogs .. maybe. It could be that she has a small trachea too .... Maggie has one the size of a pencil apparently and I am fully confident that her snoring is one day going to vibrate our bed out of the room and into the hallway.

Apart from that, with no experience, I am of very little help. If you feel comfortable with your "stand-in" vet then maybe call and talk to them, or wait until your regular vet comes back and talk to her.

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I'm no expert but from the videos I've seen
it does sound like there is something wrong.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]....I was just told a few weeks ago that Dr. Fraker has decided to be a stay at home mom. She has moved to Cape Cod. I'm so very sad about this. And I learned it on facebook!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Well on the plus side the replacement vet told you that Vegas was fat ..... :eek: ... and you invented the famous Vegas stew ... so maybe it's worth going back to that vet and talking to him/her. This vet seems to tell it as it is ... and it would put your mind at rest.

Most bulldogs are just plain noisy... Daddy is behind me in a chair about 6 feet away and you'd think he was taking his last breath with the noises that are coming out of the chair. Maggie is upstairs in bed with the hubby and yet if I were to turn the tv off I could probably still hear the rumbling. Bulldogs don't know the meaning of quiet .. even when it comes to breathing.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Well she is pretty loud, which is why I always comment on her noises. I think it's cute which is why I point it out but now that you mention it, if I were you I would have it looked at especially with Chesty having had that problem. I remember that video you have of him on the skateboard at your house and you said that that was before he had his surgery so that is why he was so noisy. For all those reasons if I were you I would have it checked out. I know Samson is not that loud at all but I mean he is the one and only bully I have ever had so I don't know what other people see. Hopefully she is just a noisy girl which really works with her personality anyway :)

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]
Almost after every meal she throws up phlegm. Not only once, but mutiple times.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm with Tessa .... I know you really liked your old vet, but this new vet recognised something in Vegas that the old vet didn't mention - weight. So maybe go and get Orion get checked out. Don't you have Orion on insurance now? You have record of the vet saying there was no evidence before, so this should now be covered. I believe Trupanion covers congenital/hereditary after 30 days so Orion should be covered for this. (typing this without checking so may want to look at the policy/website first)

Bulldogs can be noisy .....but it is going to put your mind at rest to get a yes or a no answer. However, don't assume for one minute it's going to take away the famous Orion Bully-tude!!! :p

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
You know, it could also be stenotic nares. When Bertie had her nares opend, it made a huge difference...it took about a week and she sounded so much better.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i would definately have her checked out, ive always wondered if she had what her dad had from the way he sounded and the way she sounds... never hurts to check and make sure!!!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
awweee poor girl. i have no experience with that but know you will get her looked at if you feel anything is wrong. Hope all goes well and look forward to hearing the outcome.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would have her checked out for sure, it is genetic.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online