Question about Bully Sticks

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
My puppy is obsessed with bully sticks. If we let him he would go through one a day seriously. Does anyone else's dog love them? My question is- are they safe for his digestive system? I don't let him chew them in his crate during the day when I am at work. He only gets them supervised by me when I am home. Has anyone run into any issues with them? The trainer I had come to my house swears by them but I just want to make sure....thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No bully sticks! A member here thought they were safe as long
as she supervised...wrong! Bullies are so quick & hers swallowed
it whole as it sat right beside her. Luckily, hers survived.

Please, only kongs & toys as big as their heads are safe.

No soft toys or stuffies if they mouth/chew them as they cause
obstruction deaths daily.

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Okay, thank you!! He does have a few kong toys as well and a stuffed animal that he sleeps with that is the size of him (now) but nothing he loves like those sticks. They make me nervous anyway because he puts them so far back in his mouth when he's chewing them. Thank you!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bully sticks are really not a good option...... we use kong, nylabones, antlers and the all time favorite marrow bone (soup bones from the meat dept )

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Okay, thank you!! He does have a few kong toys as well and a stuffed animal that he sleeps with that is the size of him (now) but nothing he loves like those sticks. They make me nervous anyway because he puts them so far back in his mouth when he's chewing them. Thank you!!!!!

Exactly! She could not believe it, as he'd chewed a million of them
before it happened...just takes the ONE time. As for the stuffies, if
your bully doesn't chew on them, mostly sleeps w/them...okay. It's
the tearing parts & pieces off that again, eventually...swallowing
and eventually...can't pass one then surgery & hopefully, save them.

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
No bully sticks! A member here thought they were safe as long
as she supervised...wrong! Bullies are so quick & hers swallowed
it whole as it sat right beside her. Luckily, hers survived.

Please, only kongs & toys as big as their heads are safe.

No soft toys or stuffies if they mouth/chew them as they cause
obstruction deaths daily.

Not entirely true. We have a lot of soft toys for our bulldogs and they play with them constantly. I woudl say allways monitor your dog and see how they act with their chew toys and play toys, that will determine what they can have.

Its kinda weird, my two bullies know that they need to be more gentle with the softer toys. I would say they have about 10 of them and the only time they have ever ripped one open is when it got really old and worn out, but that was my fault, should have taken it away and gotten an new one by then.

I'll have to agree on the bully sticks a little. Mine love those as well, but they can be a hazzard if (when) they break parts off and swallow them. I stopped giving them to my dogs cause they would foam so much at the mouth, it just made a mess where ever they chewed them.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online