First Bulldog: Male Size Question...Is my boy small??

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Hey everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post so please bare with me. :) I have the most amazing boy named Riggins. He is 11 months old. He will turn 1 on April 28th actually. My vet says Rigs is one of the most handsome bulldogs he has ever seen. Very healthy. He gave him a complete exam as soon as I got him and said he was perfect. He did say he thought he may be a bit petite for a male at maybe 45-50 lbs full grown but of course that was just his estimate. He did say that isn't a bad thing though for a bulldog health wise and said I had a wonderful little guy. Where my questions and "concerns" are coming from I guess is because every time I run into another bulldog owner and they either guess how old he is or ask, they think he is about 4 months or are completely shocked when I say he is 11 months. Then I get, "Was he the runt or is he a mini??" And I say no to both. :( He is 28 lbs right now. I feed him 1 cup in the morning, a small snack at lunch, 1 cup at dinner and a small snack before bed. He is fed Canidae All Life Stages. Riggins Dad is short but very stocky. He is sired by an England Champion and Grand Sired by an England and World Champion so I know he has incredible bloodlines. I've seen pics of his family. But all of these people keep making me question my puppy! :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 187

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
28 lbs at 11 months is very small. Is he short or skinny or both? My Lola is a tiny bulldog as her mom was only 35 lbs full grown and Lola weighs about 38 lbs now at 10 months old. There is no such thing as a mini bulldog as far as the breed goes, only "smaller than breed standard" bulldogs. He is a cutie though and if the vet says he is healthy and at a good weight for his height, you should consider yourself lucky. Some people would pay lots of money for a bully that small!

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I guess I would kind of consider him kind of awkward right now lol. His head is getting bigger. His shoulders are very stocky. But then back by his hips are a bit skinny but by no means under weight. His Dad didn't fill out until he was 2 so I shouldn't be worried but everyone always questioning me makes me feel like something is wrong with him. I think he's perfect and love him! :) As long as he is healthy, I'm glad he isn't lugging around a ton of extra weight here in the south. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
He will fill out a lot more, until they are 3 years old they just keep growing! he's short and not overweight so that's great- gosh he's a cutie!

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
My Herschel came to me at a year and a half and he weighed 47 lbs. Now at 3 1/2 he just weighed in at 52.7. My new girl is only 40.2 lbs and 4 1/2. My vet is pleased with both of them.

Sent from my PURPLE Samsung Galaxy S4.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking boy! All you state, you have him on a Greta diet, he is healthy and the vet is happy!! Excellent work. Our boy was small per say, too.... He leveled off at 56lbs, but as others said, they continue to grow until 3.

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Thank you everyone! He is my first so I just wanted to make sure all these people were not freaking me out for a reason. Lol. That makes me happy to know that he will keep filling out for a couple more years. Thank you again!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Others may say all kinds of things, I would listen to the vet, bullies like humans come in all shapes and sizes, he sure is a cutie!!

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Chesty is my English bull dog and he is 17 months old and only 52 pounds but he was the runt of his litter. I got him at 11 weeks and he was only 9 pounds and his brother and sisters were all 19 and 20 pounds. And people ask me all the time if he's under a year and I always say no, and are Shocked when I say 17 months. But my vet says he's the perfect weight for his age. Because most bulldogs are over weight. All and all I think your guy is very handsome!!!and perfect!!! And he still has time to grow. At about age 2 he will be fully filled out. 11.19.12.jpg this is when i first got him at 11 weeks old.dark park.jpgthis was from a couple day ago (please excuse how dirty he was, we were at the dog park)

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Awww he is so handsome!!!! Thank you for the k

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Ugh sorry, Riggins was on my lap and jumped down and I hit send! Lol. I meant to say thank you for the kind words! :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Ha!ha! Bullies even rule the computer!!:yes: If you listen to other people who are "the authorities" on every subject, you will go crazy. If the vet is happy, you are happy, and your bullie is happy-that is all that counts! And everyone grows at different rates, and there are many variations in EBD's. If you were going to show-only the judge's opinion would count! Opinions are like A*$ holes, everyone has one!!!!:evil:

OP
Rigginsluv11

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I saw some pics you posted of Herschel at a dog park. How old is he in those? I didn't notice the date. I think they were very recent though. He is sooo cute! I love the looks of him!!!

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I took those a few weeks ago and he is about 3 1/2. I wish I had some of his older pics at about 1 1/2... he was built a lot like your boy. Big head and shoulders and a svelte waist lol.

Sent from my PURPLE Samsung Galaxy S4.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.