Question about introducing new bully into home (Herschel and Fiona)

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I know there will be an adjustment period. Today, Herschel and Fiona want to sit next to each other and growl. Not vicious, just a low rumble from both. Just sitting there. Is this a behavior I should stop? Send them to their crates? Are they just working things out in their special bully way? They both follow each other everywhere. Sure wish they could talk.

Fiona doesn't play. She has no idea what to do with toys. I don't think that she ever had any. Any suggestions on how to show her how fun stuff is?

Herschel is about 3 1/2, Fiona is about a year older. Herschel is taller and 53 lbs and Fiona is low to the ground and just over 40. I think the scale was wrong... she feels closer to 45 to my arms lol.

I have been walking them at the same time and they do ok so I hope the pack thing will kick in. The growling worries me because I don't want it to escalate if it isn't just a way of them working it out. would love to hear about your experiences and suggestions.

Sent from my PURPLE Samsung Galaxy S4.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but I'm sure others who have will come along soon, to give you some advice and suggestions. I have two EB's, a male and a female, but they are siblings and litter mates, so have been together from birth, and I brought both of them home on the same day. I'm sure they'll be fine, and will get accustomed to each other.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Update! Herschel and Fiona got along great outside. It looks like I'll be feeding them on opposite sides of the room because Herschel grumbles while eating if he cam see her. No snapping or barking, just grumbling whilst chewing.

Herschel and Fiona went for a ride today with me in the crv and they got along just dandy in the back. I think we will be ok.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update! Herschel and Fiona got along great outside. It looks like I'll be feeding them on opposite sides of the room because Herschel grumbles while eating if he cam see her. No snapping or barking, just grumbling whilst chewing.

Herschel and Fiona went for a ride today with me in the crv and they got along just dandy in the back. I think we will be ok.

Great news..... Seems like they are going to try for pack order, it is natural, but you need to let them know you rule, Start by feeding them one at a time, feed Herschel and then feed Fiona. Tech them to wait Nd work for the food and know it is coming from you. Nothing in life is free is a great training tool to get you started on the right foot before it does escalate... Not saying it would, but best to prevent

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Thanks! I did wake up to them both sleeping in one crate. I guess my restlessness was more annoying than each other haha. I'll feed that way. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
I don't have any experience with two bulldogs but I did go through this with my Boston Terrier (12 yr old male) and Riggins (4 months) when I got Rigs. Riggins didn't do the growling but Rocky did. It lasted a couple of months but then I think Rocky realized Riggins wasn't just visiting and he was here to stay. Then they became best buddies. :) I still had the problems with feelings but I fed them on separate sides of the room. Unfortunately, I lost my Boston Monday. :( So now Rig is lost all alone. But to your question, the boys did get used to each other. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Right now it sounds like they are working things out fine. I would always feed in separate rooms. I always have. Some grumbling is normal. I find when mine start a high pitched barking is when i need to step in. This is always going be a learning experience. I have my two for 4 months now and i just went out and bought them two doggie beds. Well it lasted about 10 mins. Frankie went after brutus and tried to bite my pooor old black lab. Out the beds went back to the store. I feel like no need to cause trouble right? You will figure them out.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
They seem to be taking turns with everything. Herschel is fine if I'm paying attention to her but if I pay attention to him, she tries to push in. She doesn't walk around things. She lowers her head and tries to mow things over lol. Hersch likes attention but has never been the dog that will let you put your arm around him. He always gives me that "awww mom" look and moves. She wants to cuddle all the time. It is interesting watching them figure it all out.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sounds like Herschel and Fiona are off to a great start [MENTION=4809]Danielle[/MENTION]! I brought Finn home 4 months after I got Tate and Finn has always been much more dominant over his older brother. He's the growler of the two and sometimes it has escalated to a fight, other times it hasn't. The growling shouldn't be suppressed b/c it is a warning that one gives to another to "watch it!" But like others have said, definitely monitor as you want to avoid any physical fighting. Good luck!!

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I had to giggle earlier. I took them out for a few licks of soft serve earlier and they both had some. Herschel is a massive drooler and messy in general and Fiona barely drools and is neat as a pin when licking. Well, she finished her bit first and herschel had a tidbit left. She looked at him and he did the growl/lip lift and she cocked her head to on side like she asked a question and started licking his face. I swear herschel's eyes bulged and he looked at me as if to say "Moooooooom! She is kissing meeeeeeeee!" No fight. I think Herschel was thoroughly embarrassed.

MagsMom

Apr 19, 2014
Virginia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie; Tyson
Hi Danielle - We just got a male, he's 3-1/2 months old, and have a 16 month old girl. They don't fight over food because I feed them both in their crates, but they DO tussle all the time. Maggie has always been a headstrong, but loving girl and Tyson is a very confident boy who is very sweet, but they play rough and Tyson's little needle teeth are tearing up poor Maggie's jowls. They each want the other's everything: toys, crates, beds, and then they love each other a bit, but always tussle for top dog I'm guessing. We are monitoring very closely to make sure it's just play. Maggie has been going to doggy daycare over the past year, and has been socialized very well with the dogs there. We are going to introduce Tyson to daycare - 1/2 day for now - next week, and hopefully he'll learn to play well with others, and let Maggie show him the ropes.

I welcome any advice anyone wants to share in case we are doing something wrong.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.