Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruno is marking all over the house. Help

Bulldog(s) Names
    EMMA
    Likes (Received)

Default Bruno is marking all over the house. Help

We just got Bruno, he is a male 2yrs old and now after a few weeks of being with us he marks everywhere. Bruno goes out asnd does his business in the yard when needed and i walk him and Emma
    every night when the sun goes dow(too hot in Florida to walk them during the day). If he needs to go out he alerts me so potty training is OK. The marking on dogs bed, including his and anywhere else that he feels is needed is a problem. I bought a spray at Pet Supermarket he just inds another spot to mark. What can I do to stop this behaviour?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sadie
    Likes (Received)

I posted on FB but I'll post here too for you.

You'll want to look into being Alpha of the family, and using certain techniques to train him so that he knows its your house, not his. Small things like feeding the dogs after the family's meal, having him sit before giving the food bowl, making sure he heels and lets you lead on walks as well.

Is he neutered? That will help A LOT. I've been neutered since I wuz rescued in August, but I still lub to pee on some things (in particular my gramma'z comforter or my momma'z friend's cooler)...granted I'm 7 so i gots years of habit to stop now I guess. Anyway, You're rite...it's probably not an issue regarding house training, it seems like he'z simply marking his territory. Do you have other dogs? Mom never ever lets me mark over any of the foster dogs while we're out on walks. I have to find my own spot and not try to "out-do" them and reclaim any bushes. If you catch him marking, you can shake a can of coins, clap your hands, one really loud NO. Something quick, but startling. You want to catch his attention. And then immediately take him outside. Ok so that's the theory, but i'm being very very resistant to it in reality. hehehe but like i said, i'm 7 and my trainer told my mom to just have patience wif me. You said you've only had him a few weeks? Bruno is just probably trying to find his spot in the hierarchy of his new home. Peeing on dog beds is just him letting everyone know "this is mine". I fink you might find it slowly stops as he feels more comfortable in his new home. Let him know it's not ok and hopefully with some time it'll stop. Sometimes it takes us quite awhile to adjust. We just moved into a new house and i had to claim every single room. mom wuz not pleased at all. oops
    Good luck! Bullie smoochies to Bruno!
    Lub, Champsky

Bulldog(s) Names
    EMMA
    Likes (Received)

Bruno is not the only dog, he lives with Emma another EB and two very old doxies. He is very friendly with the other dogs and they all have been great at taking him as part of the pack. I know the lady that had Bruno had health issues and trained him to go on wee wee pads because she could not walk him. The first week he would freak out when he was walked and ate the leash while on walks but now he is walking fine and does not bite on the leash. He looks forward to walking with Emma every night and also lets me know when he needs to go out in the backyard during the day so
    except for marking, he is doing good with his housetraining.

Wow, so he'z doin pretty good then huh? All fings considered.
    I think he's just acclimating...tryin to find where he fits in. Definitely try to catch him marking so u can correct him and take him out. froggz gave sum great tips on being alpha. You can google for more too. Maybe even obedience class? even if he'z well mannered momma finks it builds up da bond between you guys. I'd implement sum of those and i fink you'll see some positive changes.
    Way to go for helpin dis little guy! wee wee pads are no fun, we need our fresh air! glad he found you and emma and da doxies!

Bulldog(s) Names
    EMMA
    Likes (Received)

Default Bruno taking a nap

Bruno is hard at work taking a nap after a nice warm bath. He is such a cutie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -05-03-10_0710-jpg  

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Frances, I may have missed it if you answered this already, but is Bruno fixed?
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Bruno is hard at work taking a nap after a nice warm bath. He is such a cutie.
    PHOTO OF THE MONTH CONTEST!!! LOL You gotta submit that one!

Bulldog(s) Names
    EMMA
    Likes (Received)

Bruno is not fixed and I already talked with the vet about getting him fixed but my husband wants Emma and Bruno to have 1 litter first which I don't find it to be a good idea. We are still going back and forth with this but I know I'll win this battle. I just don't think it's a good idea given that EB
    have a hard time giving birth and don't want to put Emma at risk.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

did you read the article here (you can access from the home page or the boards) called bulldog breeding info? It explains the breeding process, and could help you make this decision. For me, if I did not have mentor who helped every step of the way who had much experience, we would not have our two healthy pups. It is very difficult, and is a huge investment. If you do not produce healthy pups, they will end up in rescues. You will also need to know how to do ai's properly, this alone is not an easy task. I am not saying don't do it, but make sure you do your homework and find a breeder in your area with a huge amount of knowledge, who is willing to help every step of the way, even at 2am!! .

Starting with ai, to taking care of momma (very important!) to taking care of pups, having enough money for emergencies, such as sick puppies or complications, supplies, vet costs, ect.

We invested well over $5000 for molly's litter and are keeping the two pups. Big investment.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe not the best of help here but I have read about bellybands that they can wear and they are kinda like a diaper and they wet themself and teaches them to stop marking everywhere. Maybe looking into this will help?

Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Since he is not fixed and in a new home, that is probably a big part of it. I would get him fixed asap. You can always get a professional stud with excellent lines, who has experience with AI's for a reasonable cost. Not worth keeping a male not neutered for one time, too many hormones to deal with. A lot of experienced breeders do not even have males for stud, they just have females. Even the ones that do have studs for show, they end up using outside stud service anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads