Boarding Meatball Question

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
So as some of you know I have a vacation coming up that's about 18 days long. Let me say PLEASE don't judge me that I have to board him for that long. This past christmas my mom got the whole immediate family a trip to Europe paid for by her. I don't think she took into account we have animals. My sister has 2 ragdolls cats, fish tanks etc. and she's very upset because she can't find a pet sitter available.

Anyway my question is, will Meatball forget us? I mean we are stressing over here especially my oldest daughter. My mom was just being nice with this family reunion/vacation. But we are worried. Will he remember us when we get back?

please just some helpful opinions:(

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
He will remember you. The only thing that worries me is last summer we went away for 8 days and we had family come in and watch Brutus. When we got back, he was not acting right. The vet came and said he was stressed out from us leaving for that amount of time and it made him have stomach issues for about a week. The vet advised we not leave him for more than a weekend. We have another unavoidable vacation next year where we will be away for 10 days and I think we will have to get him doggie Xanax or something to get him through. You know Meatballs disposition the best and how attached he is to you. Brutus is very attached to us.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
he will certainly not forget you. Dogs retain the memory and love for their owners for years and years. He will definitely miss you though, i'm unsure about how he will react but im sure when you come home he will be happy and bounce back in no time. :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He won't forget you, he'll be the happiest bully on the face of the earth when you get back!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
heck to the yes!!! i used to work at a daycare (4 years) and every year a lady would go home for a month to Holland. Her Labordoodle would stay at the facility for all that time and he practically jumped out of his skin every time she came back to pick him up. Meatball will be over joyed to see you when you return

ColeB

Mar 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cue
I work at a pet resort and I see owners re-uniting with their pets everyday. He will not forget you, but he will miss you as much as you miss him. Also, it is normal for him to be tired for a little while after going home. There's usually a lot of stimulation at boarding facilities! If they let you, maybe you can bring a shirt with your families scent on it to make him feel more comfortable? I hope this helps.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Distance makes the heart grow fonder :) He'll be so excited to see you when you come home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
He will remember you. The only thing that worries me is last summer we went away for 8 days and we had family come in and watch Brutus. When we got back, he was not acting right. The vet came and said he was stressed out from us leaving for that amount of time and it made him have stomach issues for about a week. The vet advised we not leave him for more than a weekend. We have another unavoidable vacation next year where we will be away for 10 days and I think we will have to get him doggie Xanax or something to get him through. You know Meatballs disposition the best and how attached he is to you. Brutus is very attached to us.
Thanks for your input on the stress. I did wonder if that would be a issue. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

heck to the yes!!! i used to work at a daycare (4 years) and every year a lady would go home for a month to Holland. Her Labordoodle would stay at the facility for all that time and he practically jumped out of his skin every time she came back to pick him up. Meatball will be over joyed to see you when you return
Thank you!

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I just want to thank everyone for their input!!!! It means a lot, I have cried over this already! Thank you gang :)

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I work at a pet resort and I see owners re-uniting with their pets everyday. He will not forget you, but he will miss you as much as you miss him. Also, it is normal for him to be tired for a little while after going home. There's usually a lot of stimulation at boarding facilities! If they let you, maybe you can bring a shirt with your families scent on it to make him feel more comfortable? I hope this helps.
Thanks will definitely pack him his own suitcase!! I'm serious too. Blankets, pillows, toys, heck I may try to fit a sofa in his doggy room.

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
You could also try Dog Vacay , Inc. I have a few friends that have used it and they love it! You can find local people that open their homes to take care of your pets. So you may find someone somewhat locally that cares for bulldogs. We have an amazing lady here that opens up her home to take care of people's dogs and has an endless amount of fantastic reviews and 5 stars. Just another idea incase you are nervous about a boarding facility :) Good luck and your baby will be so excited to see you no matter where you choose!!! I used to board my Boston's and they couldn't get in my arms fast enough. The longest was 9 days. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am sure Brutus will remember you without question!! Did you try to find a boarding facility out of someones home? I use a place called Wags Watchers- they hire people to open their homes for daycare and boarding. The dogs are treated like a member of the family. I have been using 2 of their sitters here in Florida for daycare, and what a difference! I was always too concerned with boarding facilities that use kennels. I think our dogs spend a lot more time in the cages than we imagine. I wanted someone that acutally bonds with the dogs, and I got it. We went to a fair yesterday and my sitter was there- Bogey almost pulled my arm out of the socket trying to get to her! Quite a testament to her!! I found them by googling "cage free dog sitting". There might be something similar in your area. I wish you lived closer- I would take him for you. Have a great trip!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
PS: Just looked up Wag Watchers- they are in NJ!! I am not sure where you are, but it says they are in NOrth Jersey and the Jersey Shore! I really am happy with their services!! Look them up online!! Good luck!!!

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
PS: Just looked up Wag Watchers- they are in NJ!! I am not sure where you are, but it says they are in NOrth Jersey and the Jersey Shore! I really am happy with their services!! Look them up online!! Good luck!!!

Thank you I will look them up:)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.