Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My male EB Bulldozer has always been a skittish dog, right from the day we got him. He's afraid of so many things including his own shadow. Lol. He's afraid of loud noises, thunder, and if you drop things.
He also doesn't like to walk very far, generally he will only walk to the end of our complex, and then will lay down with all four of his legs sprawled out, and refuse to walk, he pulls to go back home. I feel bad for him, because his sister Blossom is the opposite, and she will walk for hours, and has so much crazy energy. I walk her around the block every night before bed, and Dozer doesn't get to do this. Last night we took both dogs out for a walk and we left our complex, and went out to the main road on the sidewalk. They haven't been out for many long walks over the long cold winter. Dozer is absolutely terrified of the traffic going by, he laid down and refused to walk, he cowered, and he was shaking like a leaf. He wouldn't walk along the side walk, and it was even worse when a truck or bigger vehicle whizzed by. I had to take him back home. Is anyone else's bullies afraid to walk on the sidewalk beside a busy road?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wish Harlea was. When I take her out front the first place she wants to go is to the big tree right by the street. However, I do have to admit when I have her on a leash and tell her to come she does. But if leaves are falling and the wind catches them she runs for cover.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yep. Every loud noise startles him, and he acts like it's the end of the world. I'm lucky the Hudson River is directly behind our apartment building with just a walking path, and our block is kind of like a cul-de-sac so he doesn't really get to hear the cars.
But he's scared to the death of the elevators, and walking through the lobby is like walking through a war zone for him. It's horrible. Many a time my hubs has to pick up his 60 lb butt to get him through.

It's a huge problem for us, and no amount of training is helping. But it's only the city. When we're in a quieter area, he's a different dog. No issues with going out and walking.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Jovi was afraid of moving cars for a couple months. Then recently she is so excited for the walk she completely avoids it. I have no idea what happened lol

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
We got Leon around Christmas and new year and here in holland around that time people go crazy lighting fireworks.
And because of this anything that's loud he craps himself and wanted to run straight home.
All I did was not give in to him and carrying on walking (a lot of dragging) so now he knows that if he's scared he can not run straight home.
But when I see he is becoming a little scared I just carrying on walking sometimes I have to drag him slightly also ignoring he's scared but when he switches back to not been scared I reassure him and give him lots of positive affection telling how good and brave he is.
For me this is a work in progress but he's a hell of a lot better than he was 3 months ago.

Leon is echt en dikke boefje !!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster was scared of traffic but got used to it pretty much. Buses and trucks spook him and this last Sunday he saw a freight train for the first time in his life and I thought he was going to go beserk but I kept telling him it was ok and he was fine. I too like Andrew above never gave into to him when we started walking around our neighborhood and there was a lot of dragging too but the more he's walked the more he's gotten used to it. It's a completely different matter when we get in the truck and go somewhere he LOVES that and we have no problem with him walking.

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel handles cars, thunder, and other "scary" things great. He listens and doesn't run/pull. However, there is something that appears in our yard on occasion that sends him running back to me shaking...

A bunny.

Yep, my boy is terrified of the little fluffy bunny that hops through the yard some mornings.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Maybe when you have a dog that is fearful of walks, noises out there, traffic-having him wear a Thundershirt would reassure them. I haven't used one-but heard from some that they work wonders. If they come in my size-I'm getting one for when I check the mail, and see the bills! :w00t:

Members online

No members online now.