Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Why Do Dogs Eat Poop?
BY ADDAM CORREIN LIFE HACKS ā€” 23 DEC, 2013

Have you ever wondered why dogs eat poop ā€“ or is this question not high up on your list of things you need to know?

If you are one of the 83 million dog owners in America, perhaps you ought to know. If you donā€™t own a dog, then you can just introduce your knowledge of this subject into a flagging conversation.

It seems that different dogs eat different kinds of feces for different reasons. By the way, the scientific name for the practice of poop eating is coprophagy ā€“ a good word to know!

Why do dogs eat the poop of other animals?

Dogs are attracted to cat feces, for example, because cat food is higher in fat and protein than dog food, and so are their feces.

Eating feces can be a sign of illness

Not all coprophagy is harmless. Dogs who suffer from exocrine pancreatic insufficiency sometimes eat stools, including their own. They are probably trying recover the nutrients they canā€™t absorb in normal digestion.

You should note if that if your dog eats its own and other dogsā€™ poop, and youā€™re buying the cheapest possible dog food, it may be worth changing to a more expensive brand with greater nutritional value.

Why Do Dogs Eat Their Own Poop?

There can be a behavioral explanation for dogs eating their own poop. Pet store puppies seem to eat their own poop more than the average dog. Dogs forced to poop in their cages will try to clean up. After a few times, they develop the habit of eating feces.

How can you prevent your dog from eating poop?

If your dog has access to the kind of feces it likes, it will find some. For example, homeless people often defecate in public parks; if your dog running free, you need to establish a solid recall pattern, so the order: ā€œLeave that aloneā€ will be obeyed. If you live in the country, chances are you canā€™t control the availability of horse, cow and other animal droppings.

Try to prevent access to poop

Keep your yard clean and tidy. If your dog is diving for itā€™s own feces as soon as they are produced, keep it on a leash until the pooping is over. Then lure it away with something really tasty before it gets to the poop.

Keep litter boxes out of reach

Keep cat litter boxes where the dog canā€™t reach them. Train yourself to hear the cat feet scratching, which is an indication they are pooping. Collect the poop as soon as possible.

Coprophagy is the clearest possible indication of how dogs differ from humans. Eating feces is dangerous to humans, but usually not to dogs.

So, now you are better equipped to reply to the question, ā€œwhy do dogs eat poop?ā€ than you were before.

Are you a dog owner? Do you have any observations from your own experience that you would like to add?

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Ahh now I know, something I have always wondered about :poo:, thanks for this enlightment :) .

I have only seen Bazza when puppy eat cow poo, cat poo and other dog poo ! :eek:

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm definitely glad my guys don't do this, but my Jack Russell used to think Goose poop was some kind of delicacy, or PĆ¢tĆ©. She used to dive in and eat it at the park all the time, and then she would have a green goose poop moustache. YUK.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Bella does it every once in a while its only if she has an accident at night while we are sleep which is very very seldom, but it is NASTY!! I swear shes getting rid of evidence!! haha

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball loves and I mean loves rabbit poo! Disgusting! Since I swear my yard is home to a few families of rabbits, their mess is everywhere! Literally! Yuck!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Which member was it that did the Ice cream vs Poo experiment??? Very funny video!!!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
hahaha oh jeez. I never knew this but luckily I havnt had this problem. I know when I clipped Jovi's toenails bella my chihuahua would eat them. (so weird) But now we use grinders.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum was a notorious poop eater when I first rescued him. He was kept in a yard with two huge bull mastiffs and the owner would throw the food out and it was every dog for himself. Being the little guy chum didn't get much and I guess had to resort to "making his own". Anyway a few months of the right food and portions and walking him so he couldn't get at eventually solved the problem.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chum was a notorious poop eater when I first rescued him. He was kept in a yard with two huge bull mastiffs and the owner would throw the food out and it was every dog for himself. Being the little guy chum didn't get much and I guess had to resort to "making his own". Anyway a few months of the right food and portions and walking him so he couldn't get at eventually solved the problem.
:*( poor Chum.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't feel bad...Chum lives like a King now Rosalie!
I know and I'm glad for it. It just breaks my heart that any animal has to ever suffer because of idiots. Chum is a happy boy and is loved tremedously by all.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.