Has anyone experienced something similar?

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
My 8 1/2 weeks old puppy has being doing great but when it comes to her being inside her crate for a while she just won't have it. She starts to cry and bark very loud and sometimes she'll throw up. Is this some type of separation anxiety? Or is it she's eating too fast? Because it usually happens 15-20 min after she eats. Can it be both anxiety and rapid eating? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with this exactly, but my Blossom will whine after being in the crate after she eats. She doesn't bark or throw up, but I usually place them in the crate for 10 to 15 minutes after they eat, just to let their tummies settle after eating, otherwise they play and rough house with each other and this can cause them to throw up right after eating. They usually have to go pee and poop 15 or 20 mins after they have eaten, so then I take them out, and then they are fine to play and run around. Maybe Ox is barking to let you know she needs to go potty after eating? Try taking her outside after her meal, and see if this helps.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't understand. Does she get anxious whenever you put her in the crate? Or only when you put her in after she eats?

I know Blue hates being locked in his crate at anytime. And yes, if we'd put him in right after eating, I can see him throwing up as a result of the stress.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We feed Harlea in her crate and she stays in there until we finish our meal and clean up which is usually around an hour. She will whine from time to time but not for very long and she hasn't thrown up.

Aria our rescue on the other hand while not a bully is the opposite. She eats in her crate as well but for the first few weeks we had her would go bonkers barking and whining afterwards for about 20 minutes but would eventually calm down. She does the same thing when we put her in her crate when we leave to go somewhere too. She has thrown up a few times but not too often. With Aria it is separation anxiety as we found out that if someone is in the room with her while she is in her crate she is just a content pup that plays for a bit and will fall asleep in about 10 minutes. She is getting better and better about it and we helped her by putting her in her crate and waith for her to calm down for 5 minutes at first before taking her out then wait an hour or so and do it again. Every few days we would increase the time we would wait after she was calm before we got her like 10 then 15 then 20 minutes and so on. This helped a lot and while she is not perfect yet she is getting there and will now stay calm after meals because she has learned that we haven't left her.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball still goes in his crate at least once a day. I do it to keep him used to it just in case kids visiting are scared and I need to put him away. As a puppy he SCREAMED for two weeks straight in his crate! I also fed in crate when he was a pup. After two weeks he stopped completely. He's 2 now and does not make a peep in his crate. Like I said though I make it a point to keep him used to it. He did throw up on occasion and yes I thought cause of the screaming.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Its normal for a puppy to act that way in a crate until they become used to it. However the throwing up is not. Maybe wait a little longer after eating to put her in the crate, about 25-30 mins and see if that helps? Anxiety always upsets tummys and if its full I can see why its coming back up. Try that out and let us know how she does? :D

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Its normal for a puppy to act that way in a crate until they become used to it. However the throwing up is not. Maybe wait a little longer after eating to put her in the crate, about 25-30 mins and see if that helps? Anxiety always upsets tummys and if its full I can see why its coming back up. Try that out and let us know how she does? :D

I tried that yesterday and seemed to work. It just scares me and I'm paranoid because I lost a puppy last year to parvovirus right when I got it from the breeder. Any throwing up or diarrhea makes me panic. Thank you

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
Meatball still goes in his crate at least once a day. I do it to keep him used to it just in case kids visiting are scared and I need to put him away. As a puppy he SCREAMED for two weeks straight in his crate! I also fed in crate when he was a pup. After two weeks he stopped completely. He's 2 now and does not make a peep in his crate. Like I said though I make it a point to keep him used to it. He did throw up on occasion and yes I thought cause of the screaming.

Thank you! I'm relieved

OP
gabrielsbulldogs

gabrielsbulldogs

Oct 26, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
oX,RIP Monroe, and Tonka
I don't understand. Does she get anxious whenever you put her in the crate? Or only when you put her in after she eats?

I know Blue hates being locked in his crate at anytime. And yes, if we'd put him in right after eating, I can see him throwing up as a result of the stress.

Yes all the time she's first put inside the crate she starts to whine and bark for 5-15 min but then she'll stop but she don't throw up all the time. The throwing up part is like once a day right after I put her inside

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they are little stinkers... that gang has you covered. stay consistent with him and he will come around and get to love his crate time

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.