Cool Mat

MrsDenaWare

Feb 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I am a new EB mom of a 1 year old male Bentley and am wondering if anyone has used cooling mats and if you could recommend one. I already have his lifejacket for the boat but wonder if he would also like a cooling mat since we love to camp and it is hot humid Oklahoma. We do have a travel trailer with cold air conditioning but when he is outside I want him to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
If you're talking about the gel mats, I'd be careful especially if your
bully is a chewer, we've had bullies here that ingested these and died.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Stay away from cooling mats!!!! They are deadly if ingested

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I am a new EB mom of a 1 year old male Bentley and am wondering if anyone has used cooling mats and if you could recommend one. I already have his lifejacket for the boat but wonder if he would also like a cooling mat since we love to camp and it is hot humid Oklahoma. We do have a travel trailer with cold air conditioning but when he is outside I want him to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome to EBN! well, I bought a couple of cooling mats for my two boys about two years ago. Great idea to keep our bullies nice and cool however I didn't have success with it as my boys used it more as a chew toy than a mat to sit on! So, pretty much ruined. I have heard of a member here who's dog ingested the material from the pad and he later passed away. I do not know for sure if it was from the cooling mat materials however, but in any case, it is dangerous to ingest the chemicals/materials they use for these mats. I also bought cooling vests and cooling bandannas for them so you may want to take a look at those products. I don't remember the site I got mine from but if you do an internet search I'm sure you will find something.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We had one for a time but stopped using it when one of the pup of one of our members here died from eating some of the gel material these are made with. For a cooling bed we use a Coolaroo and Harlea loves it. We change it's colors several times a year and she has never tried to eat it.

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
i have never tried the cooling mats, but i have a small pool maggie loves to go in maybe you could find something like that.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I got Daisy a cool mat last year but she would chew the plug out of it and the water would spill all over. I just tossed it out the other day. I'm glad I did now that I'm reading someone's bully died after ingesting the gel.

I also have a small pool for her that she absolutley loves. I fill it up so it's ready when we get back from our walk. Just a side note--Daisy had chronic urinary infections last summer and we realized it was the kiddy pool. Since she can't clean herself, she was bringing bacteria in the pool. I know it's a waste of water but we dump it out after each use.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes I have . I also have donated to the local K-9 dogs to use after a job search, you can keep them in the refrigerator, and or cooler in the car. and they work well. Do lay a cloth thin blanket on top of it though , the dogs won't like laying directly on it . and at first may not want to lay on it at all. but if they are tethered ,they will cool down . remember that a 20 minuet cool down with a tepid temp hose is needed to completely cool the insides of the dogs, 10 minuets is not enough , people have lost dogs that they though had cooled down . and then left alone. I swear--the first year I had my first 3 , I hit every gas station or so , when my car quit producing cold air.for the next ten yrs , they loved catching every drop of water coming out of that hose.LOL!!!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I don't and have not used cooling mats after one of the members Bullie died after chewing one.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hello,
It was my two-year-old English bulldog that chewed up a cooling pad. If you're going to get one, make sure you're there to supervise.
Debo chewed up a cooling pad made for dogs while I was at work. It was a pressure activated cooling pad with that gel pack cooling stuff in it. When I came home he was having seizures, so I rushed him to the ER, they kept him in ICU overnight, & his heart stopped the next day.
I was devastated, it has been seven months and I still cry almost every day.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They also make cooling vests, that you can put ice pack in. I think that they would be much safer than taking a chance with a cooling mat. You can also change the ice packs, if they melt.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.