need advice

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
i have had my bully for 5 months now and she hates me, she loves my wife and daughter but hates me. she runs , hides , barks , and sometimes growls at me. i do not understand whats going on. the kicker to the whole thing is if i call my shiz shu over she follows her to me licks me i pet and scatch her with no problem. i just do not understand whats going on ?\

any help would be great

craig

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That is a hard one. Have you had her since a pup? I know dogs will bond with some more than others. Maybe some experts parents can answer soon

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Can you provide more info on your bully? as others have already asked, how old was she when you adopted her, and was she a rescue, and if so, do you know what type of environment she came from? I would take this in baby steps. Don't force your bully to come to you and be affectionate with you b/c this can backfire. Instead, you can greet her each day with a treat or a toy she loves to play with. When she starts associating all these positive things with you then you will find that she will want to be with you more and more but this will take lots of time, patience and positive reinforcement. You can also take some of her food and feed it to her from your hand for a few minutes a day.

OP
moosedt

moosedt

Nov 21, 2013
southern california
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
maggie
she was six months wen we got her. we bought her from a breeder (she was my birthday present from my wife and daughter)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How do you approach her? What type of voice are you using? do you have a bread or wear glasses or a hat? These types of things can be issues for some dogs.

I worked at a dog daycare and there were MANY dogs of all breeds that just had an inner fear of men in general... voice, hat, beard, glasses or how they approached the dog. Some came around, others, just never happened for them... there was one sweet Can Corso, that if a man was in the plat area, she sat in the corner and licked the floor.... would not go near anyone.

What we did at day care was have the guy keep his back or side to the direction the dog was in and have treats in hand... do not look at her, but call her to you letting her see the treat. Aloow her to warm up and bond with you on her terms and slowly work her to not being concerned with the look or sound, but knowing who you are and there is nothing to fear.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I was thinking on the lines of Christine I had a Doberman once that did not like any man with a beard.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The gang has given you great advice!!! My boxer Roxie can get real skittish around men w/deep voices… we have had her since day one so it's not like she was abused at some point. She will warm up to them eventually, but we still can't figure out what it's all about!!!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
have you tried smearing peanut butter on your hand or being the sole provider of treats? Sneaking constant treats is how my mom won ALL my dogs over for my entire life. She still comes over and the dogs prefer to to all of us cause of the chicken nuggets in her pocket.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
have you tried smearing peanut butter on your hand or being the sole provider of treats? Sneaking constant treats is how my mom won ALL my dogs over for my entire life. She still comes over and the dogs prefer to to all of us cause of the chicken nuggets in her pocket. I heard you get cats to like each other by rubbing tuna fish oil on their heads so that they are attracted to each other and begin licking it off the other cat. Worked for my friend.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Glad to hear you are not going to give up, got some great advice already.
I had a border collie that was a rescue at the start she was not fond of men.
Also our Bulldog always favours my hubby over me, but lately that seems not as obvious as it used to be.
Good luck and let us know how you go.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.