Tasty Chew Toy - Your Recommendations?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Ill be honest. You're not supposed to give dogs rawhide, but ... the truth is, Baxter would sit with a good old fashioned rawhide bone for *hours* and just work on that thing.

The end result? His teeth were absolutely spectacular. Then someone put the fear of God in me about Rawhide.

Then someone else told me "As long as you monitor them, and dont let them eat too much in one sitting - because it doesn't digest well, then its okay".

Jury still out? Im about to go buy some more rawhide. His teeth are getting gross after a few months of nothing to chew, and I gave up trying to brush them.

Is there anything you guys recommend that your bully will sit for hours and work on?

I have tried "natural" rawhide - advertised as "safe" for dogs and he completely ignores it. Must have no flavor or something?

I have tried antlers. He enjoyed that a few times, but now ignores it.

He will walk around 3 rawhides 1 antler and four chew toys and instead chew on his crate for 10 minutes.

He needs something to chew. Its either rawhide or what you tell me!!!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have several elk antlers around the house that Harlea used to chew on for about 30 minutes at a time before she would get bored. Then I was finally able to get a hold of a good sized piece of the flat paddle portion of a moose antler and she will chew on it for hours on end. So much so I have had to take it away from her and dry her off for her to take a break. Since she has had that she won't even touch the elk antlers anymore. I think she likes it more because it is not as thick as the elk ones. The one we got is huge and weighs about 3lbs. Might be worth a shot if you can get a hold of one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Yep thats the right ones. The top one in the 3rd picture is almost identical to the one we got Harlea just a little bit shorter in overall length from the one we have.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Ill be honest. You're not supposed to give dogs rawhide, but ... the truth is, Baxter would sit with a good old fashioned rawhide bone for *hours* and just work on that thing.

The end result? His teeth were absolutely spectacular. Then someone put the fear of God in me about Rawhide.

Then someone else told me "As long as you monitor them, and dont let them eat too much in one sitting - because it doesn't digest well, then its okay".

Jury still out? Im about to go buy some more rawhide. His teeth are getting gross after a few months of nothing to chew, and I gave up trying to brush them.

Is there anything you guys recommend that your bully will sit for hours and work on?

I have tried "natural" rawhide - advertised as "safe" for dogs and he completely ignores it. Must have no flavor or something?

I have tried antlers. He enjoyed that a few times, but now ignores it.

He will walk around 3 rawhides 1 antler and four chew toys and instead chew on his crate for 10 minutes.

He needs something to chew. Its either rawhide or what you tell me!!!!!

My little guy loves bull penis, lol. Bully sticks to be more precise. They have a lower risk of choking or clogging them up. Plus the bully sticks have bull tendon, which is good for the joints.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am a big fan of raw marrow bones.... in the grocery stopr sold as 'beef bones' or 'soup bones'. they are inexpensive and once they are done with the marrow, I stuff with peanut butter, banana, or cream cheese then freeze for a new treat. I also allow the empty bone to become a chew toy.... been doing this for 9+ years, beautiful teeth and never any issues or fear of harm.

Only time I remove or trash the bone is if it somehow breaks or has rough edges... then it is trashed after the marrow is eaten.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I have about 5 or 6 bones laying around the house that my boyfriend had before we got together for his chihuaha. I asked him where he got them and apparently his mother got the bone from a roast of some sort? Anyways, it works WONDERS. it's extremely thick, the dogs love them and best of all it is impossible to actually eat it. It stays the same no matter how many years pass. It is great. I attatched a picture so you can see. IMG_5948.jpgIMG_8952.jpg

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Its either rawhide or what you tell me!!!!!

Best thing I have ever found and I never brush teeth:
RedBarn natural white knuckle bones. Made in the USA. These last a couple of weeks with Leo and longer than that for Lola. I just got a case of 20 of them delivered today. They are about $4.99 a piece at a good pet store.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
My little guy loves bull penis, lol. Bully sticks to be more precise. They have a lower risk of choking or clogging them up. Plus the bully sticks have bull tendon, which is good for the joints.

Please don't even use Bully Sticks...they are really bad. They can cause blockages and even puncture the intestine! In fact, my parents dog (a Rhodesian Ridgeback) just got back this morning from the ER Vet because of a blockage to his intestine from a Bully Stick. My mom never listens to me when I tell her not to feed them Bully Sticks...she is listening now;)

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
I have about 5 or 6 bones laying around the house that my boyfriend had before we got together for his chihuaha. I asked him where he got them and apparently his mother got the bone from a roast of some sort? Anyways, it works WONDERS. it's extremely thick, the dogs love them and best of all it is impossible to actually eat it. It stays the same no matter how many years pass. It is great. I attatched a picture so you can see. View attachment 69001View attachment 69002

Those are the soup bones that "2BullyMomma" was talking about. These are great to use just as she described. My only recommendation is that while there is marrow inside, give it to your bullie outside...it can get a little gross and messy. We freeze the bones/marrow then give it to Koozer. Good luck!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Tallulah has several chew toys and if I don't have one out for her she'll start chewing on whatever's handy pretty quick. My vet recommended Nylabones. No real bones she said because Bullies jaws are too strong and they can splinter the bones (chew bones are not usually raw). She said if tiny pieces of the Nylabone come off it's okay for Bullies to ingest them, the piece just passes through.

She loves her Nylabone Dura Chew Barbell. It's peanut butter flavored and was one of the few I could find that wasn't injected with beef or chicken flavor. It's pretty big, but she's been wearing on it for several weeks and it's still pretty solid. We also have a Bionic bone (day glow orange rubber) that I put peanut butter on once or twice to get her interested and now she chews on it with nothing even if I've just given it a good scrub. (Yes, I wash these things; they get gross. Just hot water and the dish brush.) She gnaws on the Bionic pretty hard and it's holding up really well. My sister gave her one of those firehose toys and she loves that, but the ends are sewn closed with webbing and she's ripped up the webbing pretty good, so I don't leave her alone with it. I do like to take that in the car though, because it doesn't roll around. And a Kong, but that's her least favorite.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I recently had a startling conversation with my professional dog trainer. I asked him, what chew toys does he have at home for his dogs? He looked me in the eye and said, "None, my dogs don't chew on anything." Shock! Wow, I never considered that possibility. I've had nothing but problems, including one horribly expensive surgery, over chew toys. Bulldogs destroy them. So, suddenly, late in the game, I discover I don't really have to put toys out for them. I picked up all the chew toys, even the massively tough and expensive Kong toys, and put them away. As far as I can tell, my two dogs haven't even missed them. They seem perfectly happy without them. Problem solved! Boy, I wish I had the conversation with my trainer earlier, before Lily had to be cut open to retrieve that piece of hard rubber she chewed off that toy.

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Someone recommended to me that if the dog loses interest in the antlers, to simmer them in chicken broth for 30 mins. He said his dogs get super excited for them after they pick up the chicken broth taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

@Marine91

Baxter has been chewing on the antlers from the company you suggested for awhile now and he's already chewing through them. Is that supposed to happen? One had some "tips" on one side, and he chewed through those and began coughing because these antler pieces started getting stuck in his throat. So I took it away. They seem extremely soft compared to others I've given him. Does this happen with you guys? Here's a pic:

IMAGE_74.jpg

Unfortunately he also cut himself and there was some blood on it.

-B-

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.