UPDATE: On My Dog won't eat his food

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Ok gang, I took everyone's advice on why Meatball all of a sudden won't eat/finish his food.

i deceased the amount of food.
i decreased his treats.
i mixed yogurt, egg, cottage cheese etc
changed his feeding times.
Bought Fromm pork/peas

In the end, Meatball is not devouring his Fromm food like he used too. He nibbles at it in the morning and walks away. He will come back hours later and eventually eat it. However he used to lick his bowl clean EVERY time! You think it's time to change brands? He still eats his fruit and treats with gusto! It's just the dogfood no matter what you mix in it. He's been eating Fromm for over a year no problem, this started a few months ago. Vet said they don't eat as much the older they get. True?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they can slow down, yes... but he could just be picky. My Nitchke was like that one day --- devore food next day take his good ole time.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My dog did this and it was hard, your worried they are not getting enough nutrients, wasting food and its frustrating. I tried everything you did and all of the toppers possible.
I eventually had to change his food completely and now he eats like a champ. I ended up switching him to a prepared raw and he has never snuffed his food since. I think sometimes they just get bored with it!
When we were trying different kibble I always asked when I was at the store if I could return it if my dog was allergic or doesn't like it and they let me return multiple times...it can get expensive.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fromm's grain free is interchangeable. You can try a different flavor and see if he like it?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree....try a different grain free flavor and see. Also, you might want to try the scheduled feeding. Choose the times you want to feed and when the time is up, pick the bowl up until feeding time again. Leave it down for 30 minutes only. If he doesn't eat....he doesn't eat. My two are 6 1/2 and almost 5. They eat in less than 2 mins. We feed them 3/4 to 1 cup at 8am and again at 8pm. If we are late....they will let us know. Day light savings time really screws with them. Good luck.

Anamaida

Oct 3, 2013
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Itzy
That happened to Itzy too! She completely stopped eating for two days, I though she was sick but before taking to the vet a tried giving her chicken broth with veggies, she ate it like crazy!! Then I realized she was tired of her food and change it to another brand. Now she is eating well.

They can not talk but have their ways to tell us what they want, they're really smart! Lol.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Fromm's grain free is interchangeable. You can try a different flavor and see if he like it?
I have tried EVERY grain free flavor. He can't have the tutalinni or surf and turf due to salmon allergies. Beef Frittata is what he used to love! Game bird he's ok with but stopped eating it as well. I'm currently on pork/peas.

B

Baxter Tiberius

I ended up switching him to a prepared raw.
Hands down the best food. If you have someone local to do it for you. Prepared ahead. I struck gold and there's a guy with an organic farm here who even offers a "low heat cooked" version, for those of us skittish about bacteria and whatnot. They love it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.