Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toenail upkeep in dogs- all types of dogs!

Bulldog(s) Names
    www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
    Likes (Received)

I'm a huge fan of the dremel
    same here. the dremel also helps to encourage the quick 'back'. i've been using the dremel (an actual dremel, not one of those as seen on tv thingies) on my boy eb since he was a pup so he's use to it and fine with it. my female eb still has some issues with it. sometimes i'm able to dremel a whole foot in a sitting. other times i'm only able to get a toe or two before she's clearly too freaked out. i don't overly force her. i just do what i can when she's ok with it and then come back to it in order to get her more use to it and less afraid.

she was always fine having her nails clipped until one of my sisters (a former vet tech) did me a 'favor' and clipped them for me. she cut every single one of them to the quick!!! she said tilly tried to bite her (and i don't blame her!). since then, my female eb has been very leary and ornery about anyone doing her toes, but it is very necessary.

it pains me to see dogs going around with long nails. it's painful for them and unhealthy.

Bulldog(s) Names
    www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
    Likes (Received)

i wanted to add that if you're using a dremel for the first time, know that it does get HOT. don't keep the pressure on the toe the entire time. rather do a type of 'buffing' motion where you go on the toe off the toe on the toe off the toe so that it doesn't get too hot for them. i tried it on my own finger nail before i used it on them to see what it was like. that's how i learned about the heat

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargent
    Likes (Received)

Excellent Topic, I was just thinking that our baby needs to have his nails trimmed and I have a new cordless dremel I could use. I'll try an post some pic's before and after also.

Proud parents of Sargent our baby English Bulldog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads