Rant, Irritated, Attacked at the dog park

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Ok so I have to rant about this!!! I took chesty to the dog park and there was probabaly a good 8 dogs there and everyone was playing so nicely together!!! well this gentalman came with his dog who was a schnauzer well chesty and the other dogs were playing and chesty was standing there and his dog came over and just started attacking chesty so my mom was closest ran over and pulled chesty away well the schnauzer kept growling then finally walked away. so we let chesty go because all seemed forgotten, well 2 mins later the dog attacked again!!! so this time i pulled chesty away, but the other dog wouldn't quit and the owner of the dog was kinda chuckling about it, well then chesty got side tracked by other dogs playing so i let him go and he went and played well chesty was running back to me and the schnauzer came out of no where and went after chesty again ( i know i probabaly should of just left the dog park by this time) well by this point im irrate and so is my mom and everyone else at the dog park, well the owner of the dog says to me yeah sorry my dog keeps attacking your dog he's not super friendly with other dogs and likes to start fights, well at this point all the dogs there are in an uproar, so all of the people there said well if you know your dog is not friendly why would you bring him to a dog park, i said yeah there is a sign that says dog aggresive dogs are not welcome so you shouold probabaly take your dog and go, and he says to me well we just got here and you have been here for a while, i said yeah but your dog is the one causing all the problems!!! not mine!!! so he gets ahold of his dog and says let me check you over simmon to make sure you don't have any bite marks from that dog!!!! ( are you kidding me you let your dog attack my dog 5 or 6 times if he does have a bite mark its because chesty was defending himself from your mean dog, if anything you better hope my dog don't have any bite marks or you are going to have a world of hell) ( luckily chesty was fine and was not injuried) well after he "looked" over his dog he left and all the dogs went back to playing so nicely!!!

I can't stand people who would be so arrogant to bring there dog who is not nice to a dog park and let him attack other dogs!!! what do you get your jollys of watching dogs fight?? and i don't blame the dog at all i blame the owner.

So need less to say even though we had this inncident are day at the dog park was very fun!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
What an idiot is all I can say, glad Chesty is o.k. And you have a right to be annoyed because people like that wreck it for everyone. Unfortunately that's why I stay clear of off-leash parks because you never know what type of dogs and owners are there. Should be a safe place but you are never sure and that's the problem.

I let Bazza play off leash with friends dogs that I know are not aggressive and when we go to the parks we meet all on lead, and only approach other dogs if they are happy to meet ours. I know off leash parks are fun and dogs love them its just a shame people come when they know their dogs are not friendly, very frustrating.

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
[MENTION=9179]Bazza[/MENTION] thanks, chesty is fine and yes you are right its people like him that ruin it for everyone!!! But an added bounus chesty made alot of new friends

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
This is exactly why we don't go...went twice, first time OK, second time a lab/mix kept attacking Vegas pulling his neck skin. THE OWNER did nothing about it, after the second time we just left and have never been back, NOT bad dog, BAD OWNER~!!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow what an idiot! I would have want to have punched him in the face!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
reading all these posts about dog park attacks lately makes me quite glad we dont have any here in Wales. glad Chesty is ok. what a idiot owner people like that make me so angry!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im glad that Chesty is ok xx
And the owner-oh my god what a cheek!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It's a shame that those idiots spoil the fun for most. I remember when Usko was just a pup really, I pulled a few dogs of of him, one from it's tail. So glad Chesty is ok and could continue playing with the others after the incident.

B

Baxter Tiberius

LOL .... yeah I haven't been to the dog park and *not* seen a fight break out at least once.

There is a lot of testosterone flying around, and when you have a "pack animal" tossed into a huge group of other pack animals, there can be some fighting for dominance. The breeds that have aggression issues will be the first to cause problems, but there are also the non aggressive breeds who have personal problems. In those cases I am happy to blame the owner for improper socialization/training. But I know some very good people who tried their best and still have an a-hole of a dog on their hands. Just like you can raise your kids perfectly and still end up with one who is a jerk :) It all comes down to the brain chemistry of that particular dog. Not all of us are professional dog trainers!

In any case, Baxter does get attacked by other breeds *sometimes* and since there were no Pitbulls present yesterday (lol) ... it was a Schnauzer that attacked him! In fact, this was the *first* time I have ever seen Baxter get angry. This little dog was growling and snapping and diving at him, over, and over, and over. Baxter usually just puts up with it, or gives him the bully wave "pat on the forehead" :) but eventually he had enough and he just dove on the dog and growled. I have never seen Baxter do that. I immediately dove and pulled baxter off, pulled him off to the side and held him down and said NO! I sure hope he doesn't become aggressive because of the bad behavior of other dogs. If I start to see that, I will cut it off immediately before it becomes a habit.

When its not an aggressive breed - its usually due to hormones. The males that are not fixed are significantly more aggressive towards other males that are not fixed. Sometimes to other males in general.

-B-

B

Baxter Tiberius

As a side note - the ONLY REASON I bring Baxter to the dog park is : Exercise. He gets an incredible amount of full blast running because the other dogs get him happy and excited to play. How can I get baxter that kind of aerobic exercise if we don't bring him to the dog park? That's what worries me.

There is an english bulldog there that I envy quite a bit. His owner says he is 3 years old. This dog runs faster than any bulldog I've ever seen. He jumps 3-4 feet in the air when his owner gets him going / playing. I asked him how he does that. He said: "I don't overfeed him, so he is always fit and normal body fat, and we come out here every single day and he runs and jumps and plays". I want this for baxter because I know bully's have weak hearts, and I believe exercise is the key to longevity and health.

Going to have to find a way to get him exercise without a dog park I guess.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Idiots are everywhere! Beware! I think if i were you i would be at the very least screaming my head off lol. I'm thankful we have a small circle of dog community in my neighborhood where we all know each other and let the dogs socialize. If we don't know the dog passing by we hold our dogs back 'till they're gone (mind you, where we play is just outside my window. It's an unofficial dog park. If we get caught or if someone calls the officials we will be fined 70 bucks per dog. In a good day there could be 5-7 dogs playing in that "dogpark") If they want to join the play, I check the owner's demeanor first then the dog before i even let Bifi near them, because asking them if their dog is nice is futile.

I'm very glad Chesty is OK and that he made good friends! yehey Chesty! :D

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wow, that person does sound like a complete idiot! But glad to hear Chesty's fine.

I like dog parks. For the most part, we've had good luck and find most of the owners to be responsible. Of course you get the occasional moron but hey, they're everywhere.
Don't let that person spoil it for you and Chesty.

drewsuave55

Feb 27, 2014
Glad to hear he is ok...we had a couple people bring there aggressive dog by us and a few of us got together and told the person and their dog to leave...it helps if you have another dog owner by your side....it should be a safe fun place where everybody should be stress free and just have a good time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
As a side note - the ONLY REASON I bring Baxter to the dog park is : Exercise. He gets an incredible amount of full blast running because the other dogs get him happy and excited to play. How can I get baxter that kind of aerobic exercise if we don't bring him to the dog park? That's what worries me.

There is an english bulldog there that I envy quite a bit. His owner says he is 3 years old. This dog runs faster than any bulldog I've ever seen. He jumps 3-4 feet in the air when his owner gets him going / playing. I asked him how he does that. He said: "I don't overfeed him, so he is always fit and normal body fat, and we come out here every single day and he runs and jumps and plays". I want this for baxter because I know bully's have weak hearts, and I believe exercise is the key to longevity and health.

Going to have to find a way to get him exercise without a dog park I guess.
Funny you say that. Meatball jumps like that too when my girls throw his toys up in air. He's airborne and catches the toy Lol! My husband has the same theory, Meatball isn't overweight, he's solid. We also think that's why he's so hyper!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@4flowers it's not just being overweight, it's how well they can breath. The ones that overheat easier, due to brachycephalic syndrome which most bullies have to some extent, are just going to be much "lazier". But it's not because of weight, it's because they can't breathe as well as other breeds.

We had Blue's palate reduced, and his everted saccules along with his tonsils removed. The only thing we haven't done (yet) are his nares. It helps with their breathing and in turn, stamina.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.