Who's got a smart bulldog? Lol!

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Knowing that bulldogs have a bad rep of not being the "sharpest tools in the shed", I have to say I got a smart one! Here's why?

When I say, "it's night night time", he bolts and hides! He doesn't want to go night night. Smart!
When I say, " you wanna go to camp?", he goes straight to the kitchen where leash is. Once leash is on, he puts leash in mouth and walks his own *** to the car! Smart!
Always finds a puddle outside to drink from when thirsty. Smart!
Always hides when he has done something wrong! Smart!
Snubs his nose at food he does not deem worthy of his snobby palette! Now that is very Smart!
Understands ALL I say, but he carefully deliberates the command in question. Goes over the pros/cons of command. Than decides if he's listening! Most breeds can't do that! Smart!
Tunes out the world when sleeping! The house could burn down around him! Most adults can't tune people out! Smart!

you see these bulldogs are smarter than most humans! Anyone else got a smart one Lol:)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, Meatball is smart!! I love how he goes over pros/cons of the situation! Very smart bully your baby is. Buster understands alot of what we say, I think the thing that gets me the most is that he understands names we've given his toys and it's mostly color names. Orange kitty, Purple squirrel, blue snake, even if they're in a different room he'll go get them.

People who don't live with English bulldogs don't understand how smart they really are.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I think Ftse is a smart one too maybe they all are as it seems,

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
i totally agree with this!!! i always thought dogd can remember words but SENTENCES?!!?! yeah i didnt think they could until I got Jovi!! she understands any convo that has the word "crate" in it she will run and hide.. when i say you want to go to bed? and if she does she bolts to the bedroom. When I say "go find papa" she goes and looks for him when i saw "gimme a kiss" she kisses me right on the lips. also anytime she has done something bad, like yours, she will hide with her head down. She also knows "go play" "go get a toy" and even stated above.. she knows the names of her favorite toys!! it seriously amazes me how much she can retain and remember.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I think they are smart, they seem to do what they like to do, isn't that what we all want to do !!! ;)

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hahaha very funny! Love that he walks himself to the car lol. Meatball is such a character! Hmmm lets see...Well Bifi practices his freedom of choice, he chooses when to come when called, if at all. He also chooses to mark people instead of trees or bushes. And...he also choose not to do what i tell him if theres nothing in it for him!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, I agree, they are very smart. :)

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
Yes they are very smart. My Bullmastiff is the same too, he will only do things that suit him or he plays dead!!! I find these kinda dogs smarter than the ones that do everything they are told 😜

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Well my Bodie is what I like to call, "sometimes smart"!! If I say, where'd my daddy go?, he'll always get up and go look at the front door...if I tell him to quit licking his paws, he will, 95% of the time, the other 5% will be him staring at me and slowly licking his paws as to say, "screw you, I'm gonna keep doing it!"...but then there's the "sometimes" in the smart conversation when it's raining outside and he won't go out the back door but he'll then run to the front door to go out, you know, cause its not raining out the front door!! And also when I point at something for him to look at or get and all he does is stare at my pointing finger!!!LMAO!!
But then there's the times where he does amaze me w/his smartness!! Like when he was 10 weeks old and we went to our first puppy training class and we were to teach them hand signals. The very first time I did the signal for "sit" w/out saying anything, HE SAT DOWN!! Amazed me!! Maybe it was just coincidence but I'm his mama and I say it was because he's just plain intelligent!! Well, "sometimes intelligent"!!!!

BullyLove!!!

drewsuave55

Feb 27, 2014
They are super smart...Bruno knows when to cuddle, play, ask for dinner, and he knows tons of words...I love it because he knows what buttons to push to get a treat out of my wife...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
I love all the examples of how smart they all are. Daisy likes to anticipate which command I'm going to make her do in order to earn the treat in my hand. When I open the jar she'll sit but if I don't give it to her right then she will lay down, then roll over, then hop in her bed. One of them has to be right. She certainly knows let's go to bed and sometimes tries to get me to go before I'm ready. She probably think's I'm the stupid one not doing what she told me.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.