Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulldog breathing

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Default Bulldog breathing

Anyone's bulldog ever sound like a donkey or like he's having a asthma attack? Every once in a while Meatball sounds like that when he breathes. Normal or not?

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldog breathing

Could be a reverse sneeze but without hearing the sound I cannot be sure. Some bullies do it but others don't. It is very common in smushy faced breeds. It could also be phlem build up which a squirt of lemon juice will knock that out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastian
    Likes (Received)

My boy does this when he is wanting a bite of my food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Marlene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually
    Likes (Received)

I think I know the sound you are referring too, I found this link on you tube and the sound is similar to what Dually does, is this the sound you are hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzSCHuCseA

If so every now and then Dually does this as well. Usually if I catch him right in the beginning of starting one I say "nuh uh" a couple of times and he will stop right away. Sometimes he starts full blown right away so we end up massaging his throat and calming him down then he stops after a few minutes. It scares the crap out of us every time.

The vet in the video refers to it as a "reverse sneeze" and can be due to allergies, excitement, inhaling dust, drinking or eating fast, breed related throat issues or anything else that would irritate the back of the throat and windpipe. In the video they just leave the bulldog be so he can get through it so not sure what the correct approach would be when this happens, am curious to know what others think as well?

~ Nothing compares to a bulldogs love ~

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster does this when he hits his nose on something. I think Todd is right it's something that the flat nose breed goes through every once in a while because we've had Pugs and a Frenchy do the same thing now and then. Once they calm down it goes away.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Bulldog breathing can be very scary to the uninitiated and worrisome!
    My first exposure to the breed was caring for Bruzer, my son's gf's
    magnificent bully. They flew to Chicago for a week at Christmas and
    left him w/me & Hubby. I had a large tote filled with so many things,
    lists w/schedules of things that must be done daily, wipes w/instructions
    to WIPE after each potty break (this is when we knew our son loved her,
    he was wiping her dog's a$$), daily routines, daily meds, strict food guide
    lines, dog parts to clean daily, emergency ph #s...I was overwhelmed &
    stressed and in over my head. And the noises coming out of this dog...OMG!
    About the 3rd night I broke down and cried for Bruzer, I thought...this breed
    should not be kept going...such suffering...such selfish people to want them!
    I called her in a panic, is he chocking...sick...what? As I got to know him, I fell
    head over heels in love, began to educate myself & 3 years later, adopted my
    1st bully and now on my 2nd bully, again...adopted.

Back to your question, you should take Meatball to a bully experienced Vet to
    make sure it's normal for him, whenever you next need to take him in. Just for
    peace of mind that all is well as sometimes...there IS a problem.

Hopefully not! GOD bless y'all <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4flowers View Post
    Anyone's bulldog ever sound like a donkey or like he's having a asthma attack? Every once in a while Meatball sounds like that when he breathes. Normal or not?
    Donkey sound.... Seems to be a reverse sneeze. Can you get video next time and we can all confirm for you.

marlene posted the video and as she stated, it will just pass. I tend to cover the nostrils to force breathing through the mouth which can stop it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brie
    Likes (Received)

Brie made scary sounds like that when she had pneumonia. She also had the asthma sounds when she was reverse sneezing or because of allergies too. Does he seem to be in any distress when he does it? He may have gotten excited or exerted himself and is just having heavy weirdo bully breathing. Def try to take a quick video of it if u can, hearing it will help figure it out a lot better it can be scary to us as owners cos these guys are so fragile.
    if you do use a lil lemon juice, make sure to squirt it in the side n not directly to the back of his mouth to prevent aspiration. A build up of mucus can cause it too as Todd suggested.

Artemis seriously sounds exactly like chew baca no joke! Around 8pm she turns into him!! At first I called her a gremlin and no water after 7 because she may or may not multiply(lol) but my hubs said she was chew baca! And she totally is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

I swear... Jovi has NEVER done this, then I read this forum and thought "hm, actually I have heard about this and have seen videos on this" Then I went to give my bully a bath and after we got her out and dried her off, we went to give bella a bath and locked jovi out and she whined. Then I came out and she did this!!!! So weird!!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MarleneK View Post
    I think I know the sound you are referring too, I found this link on you tube and the sound is similar to what Dually does, is this the sound you are hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzSCHuCseA

If so every now and then Dually does this as well. Usually if I catch him right in the beginning of starting one I say "nuh uh" a couple off times and he will stop right away. Sometimes he starts full blown right away so we end up massaging his throat and calming him down then he stops after a few minutes. It scares the crap out of us every time.

The vet in the video refers to it as a "reverse sneeze" and can be due to allergies, excitement, inhaling dust, drinking or eating fast, breed related throat issues or anything else that would irritate the back of the throat and windpipe. In the video they just leave the bulldog be so he can get through it so not sure what the correct approach would be when this happens, am curious to know what others think as well?
    That is exactly what meatball sounds like, except louder! Literally just like that

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Donkey sound.... Seems to be a reverse sneeze. Can you get video next time and we can all confirm for you.

marlene posted the video and as she stated, it will just pass. I tend to cover the nostrils to force breathing through the mouth which can stop it.
    Thanks for tip on covering nostrils. Saw video, he sounds just like that but louder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads