Bulldog breathing

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Anyone's bulldog ever sound like a donkey or like he's having a asthma attack? Every once in a while Meatball sounds like that when he breathes. Normal or not?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Could be a reverse sneeze but without hearing the sound I cannot be sure. Some bullies do it but others don't. It is very common in smushy faced breeds. It could also be phlem build up which a squirt of lemon juice will knock that out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
My boy does this when he is wanting a bite of my food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
I think I know the sound you are referring too, I found this link on you tube and the sound is similar to what Dually does, is this the sound you are hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzSCHuCseA

If so every now and then Dually does this as well. Usually if I catch him right in the beginning of starting one I say "nuh uh" a couple of times and he will stop right away. Sometimes he starts full blown right away so we end up massaging his throat and calming him down then he stops after a few minutes. It scares the crap out of us every time.

The vet in the video refers to it as a "reverse sneeze" and can be due to allergies, excitement, inhaling dust, drinking or eating fast, breed related throat issues or anything else that would irritate the back of the throat and windpipe. In the video they just leave the bulldog be so he can get through it so not sure what the correct approach would be when this happens, am curious to know what others think as well?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster does this when he hits his nose on something. I think Todd is right it's something that the flat nose breed goes through every once in a while because we've had Pugs and a Frenchy do the same thing now and then. Once they calm down it goes away.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Bulldog breathing can be very scary to the uninitiated and worrisome!
My first exposure to the breed was caring for Bruzer, my son's gf's
magnificent bully. They flew to Chicago for a week at Christmas and
left him w/me & Hubby. I had a large tote filled with so many things,
lists w/schedules of things that must be done daily, wipes w/instructions
to WIPE after each potty break (this is when we knew our son loved her,
he was wiping her dog's a$$), daily routines, daily meds, strict food guide
lines, dog parts to clean daily, emergency ph #s...I was overwhelmed &
stressed and in over my head. And the noises coming out of this dog...OMG!
About the 3rd night I broke down and cried for Bruzer, I thought...this breed
should not be kept going...such suffering...such selfish people to want them!
I called her in a panic, is he chocking...sick...what? As I got to know him, I fell
head over heels in love, began to educate myself & 3 years later, adopted my
1st bully and now on my 2nd bully, again...adopted.

Back to your question, you should take Meatball to a bully experienced Vet to
make sure it's normal for him, whenever you next need to take him in. Just for
peace of mind that all is well as sometimes...there IS a problem.

Hopefully not! GOD bless y'all <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Anyone's bulldog ever sound like a donkey or like he's having a asthma attack? Every once in a while Meatball sounds like that when he breathes. Normal or not?

Donkey sound.... Seems to be a reverse sneeze. Can you get video next time and we can all confirm for you.

marlene posted the video and as she stated, it will just pass. I tend to cover the nostrils to force breathing through the mouth which can stop it.

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
Brie made scary sounds like that when she had pneumonia. She also had the asthma sounds when she was reverse sneezing or because of allergies too. Does he seem to be in any distress when he does it? He may have gotten excited or exerted himself and is just having heavy weirdo bully breathing. Def try to take a quick video of it if u can, hearing it will help figure it out a lot better :) it can be scary to us as owners cos these guys are so fragile.
if you do use a lil lemon juice, make sure to squirt it in the side n not directly to the back of his mouth to prevent aspiration. A build up of mucus can cause it too as Todd suggested.

tcgurlie

Jan 17, 2014
Artemis seriously sounds exactly like chew baca no joke! Around 8pm she turns into him!! At first I called her a gremlin and no water after 7 because she may or may not multiply(lol) but my hubs said she was chew baca! And she totally is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I swear... Jovi has NEVER done this, then I read this forum and thought "hm, actually I have heard about this and have seen videos on this" Then I went to give my bully a bath and after we got her out and dried her off, we went to give bella a bath and locked jovi out and she whined. Then I came out and she did this!!!! So weird!!

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I think I know the sound you are referring too, I found this link on you tube and the sound is similar to what Dually does, is this the sound you are hearing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkzSCHuCseA

If so every now and then Dually does this as well. Usually if I catch him right in the beginning of starting one I say "nuh uh" a couple off times and he will stop right away. Sometimes he starts full blown right away so we end up massaging his throat and calming him down then he stops after a few minutes. It scares the crap out of us every time.

The vet in the video refers to it as a "reverse sneeze" and can be due to allergies, excitement, inhaling dust, drinking or eating fast, breed related throat issues or anything else that would irritate the back of the throat and windpipe. In the video they just leave the bulldog be so he can get through it so not sure what the correct approach would be when this happens, am curious to know what others think as well?
That is exactly what meatball sounds like, except louder! Literally just like that

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Donkey sound.... Seems to be a reverse sneeze. Can you get video next time and we can all confirm for you.

marlene posted the video and as she stated, it will just pass. I tend to cover the nostrils to force breathing through the mouth which can stop it.
Thanks for tip on covering nostrils. Saw video, he sounds just like that but louder

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Could be a reverse sneeze but without hearing the sound I cannot be sure. Some bullies do it but others don't. It is very common in smushy faced breeds. It could also be phlem build up which a squirt of lemon juice will knock that out.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Lemon juice? Good to know thanks!

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Thanks everyone for your help!! I think by reading comments and watching video, it is a reverse sneeze. I will try to take a video next time and post it. Thanks again to all who helped:)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Great idea, I will try that next time it happens to one of mine! Usually when they are over excited about something is when I've noticed it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.