Really, Lady??? Bad Owner at Dog School

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I've been taking Tallulah to obedience school and while progress isn't speedy (she definitely goes as her own pace), it's mostly going well. I know I mentioned here a couple weeks ago that she's been starting some snarliness with other dogs when she meets them while she's on leash. She doesn't seek out trouble like a truly aggressive dog; she's just rude and snappish for no reason once she gets close. I thought it was mostly about being on leash and I asked the trainer about it at the end of class today. Apparently it's really common and she repeated my question to the whole group and addressed the issue for everyone.

Class ends, and I hang back a bit to give the other dogs space to do their "wait" as they go out the gate. We go over to leave and the lady with this tiny Min Pin (or something like that) comes over right behind us, right up on my backside and crowds us. REALLY??? Did you not just hear that I have a dog that's been aggressive with other dogs on leash and you can't be sensible enough to stay five feet away? Especially when I've got treats in the cupboard that are bigger than your dog. I had to turn around and say loudly "She really IS a bit aggressive on leash."

Why do people not pay attention? At least she's there, trying to teach her dog, which is better than most tiny dog owners. But if this is how inconsiderate people who are going to training classes are, no wonder we have such a problem with bad-mannered dogs and owners these days.

(And don't get me started on the guy we passed on our walk the other day standing in front of a restaurant with a Boston terrier or something off-leash and his hands full of an infant. The dog trotted right over toward us and I tried to get Tallulah moving, but she will do that Bully-refusing-to-move thing if you rush her too much. He called the dog back before it got right to us, but if Tallulah had started something, there's no way he could have controlled or protected his dog in that situation. Dumb@$$.)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wholeheartedly agree with you! It amazes me how some people don't listen even in a class like that. I really love the line that you have treats bigger then her dog!! :ROFL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dumba$$ owners is so right..... We live in a world now, where people pay no attention, do not listen and think they know everything. So sad.

i am sure the trainer said this to you, but just in case she didn't .... try not to think about the leash issue because if you are and the nervousness or anticipation of Tallulah's reaction -- it is going down the leash and right to her. She is now thinking she needs to protect you or herself. Calm and confident is how you want to be when holding a leash.

good luck

neraknna

Mar 23, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I was at the vet with Bentley, who I just adopted, but at the time was my foster. His former owners did little to socialize him and I had already figured out that he could be aggressive towards other dogs. In walks a man with 3 smaller dogs, only one of which was on a leash. He was busy signing in not even paying attention to his dogs who were running around the office. When I asked him to please keep his dogs away from Bentley because he was still learning to get along with others, the guy looked at me like I was crazy and told me his dogs where fine... They got along with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here.. sorry.. :tongue:
But I disagree with you about what happened in the training class.

Even if I paid attention to what the trainer was saying about your dog at the moment, by the time class is over, I'd either be trying to make my way out, or hanging back wanting to speak with the instructor. I wouldn't be thinking how close or not I can bring my dog to yours when there are dogs everywhere there.
As far as I'm concerned, it's your job to keep your dog away from others if she's aggressive on a leash, not the other way around. Especially in class.

I know for me, I wouldn't remember which dogs are friendly, which are not, and all the while still pay attention to what the instructor is trying to teach while keeping eye on my own dog.
And to be honest, I wouldn't assume that people brought aggressive dogs to class. I know the classes I looked into here don't allow it. But since your dog does have issues on a leash, all you'd have to do is remind me to please pull my dog back, and I would. But I wouldn't think I was a dumba$$ because I didn't remember.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well, people should try to control their dogs, but when they are in training, and someone says their dog is still aggressive on a leash, then you should give them some space and not crowd them. Plus I hate when people don't keep their dogs on a leash and let them run up to yours. Very irresponsible pet owners. Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said try relaxing when you walk her and that will help. When she snaps, snap the leash slightly and tell her NO. She should get the message after awhile.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.