Bulldog Sisters Fighing

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
My two Bullies, Lily and Daisy, are half sisters. Lily is three, Daisy is two. Most times, they get along just fine. They are even affectionate with each other. But every so often, sometimes due to apparent jealousy, sometimes when excited about eating, sometimes for no apparent reason, they will go at one another in the most ferocious way. If I see posturing first, I can circumvent trouble by separating them. But sometimes my back is turned, or it happens so fast, I can't react before they are locked in combat. They injure one another on their chins, and jowls, and upper faces. When they are fighting, I can grab them and pull them apart. But my wife can't. And, their fighting really distresses her badly. Do any of you have experience with two bullies at home that act out in a similar fashion? Does anyone have any suggestions for training to stop or reduce the frequency of these incidents? Thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
This is a tough one and I've experienced it so I know how difficult, scary
and saddening it is. Sometimes it can be resolved, sometimes managed
and occasionally, one has to be rehomed as it gets to where there is no
peace in the household and all suffer. I had to rehome a beautiful show
quality Chow who'd started fighting with her sister (younger), up until
the younger turned 1 year old, the older one was like a Mother to her.
The fights were devastating and after months of trying to stop it, finally
rehomed my older female with a wonderful couple.

I'd advise bringing in a bully savvy dog trainer.

Are both spayed? Also, I'd not leave them alone together when y'all are
gone. Crate them or separate rooms. Let us know how it goes, good luck
and GOD bless!

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I know how hard it is to deal with this. My two girls started fighting in December on occasion and the frequency has increased since then. The trainer I hired said they are resource guarding me. My husband does not have the same issues. I've been hurt several times breaking it up. I definitely recommend getting a trainer familiar with the breed. My trainer has pitbulls and Dobermans at home (8 all together!) and she works with a local english bulldog rescue. She has been out for 4 in home visits in the last month, and we have seen improvements. I definitely think you should nip it in the bud before it escalates any further. Currently, if I am the only one home with the girls they are either separated or on leashes to prevent the fights from happening. They have to earn everything. We work on basic training everyday, with the sit, stay, and leave it commands being the most important. If I can answer anything to help you further, please dont hesitate to ask! I love both my girls (I'm sure you feel the same about yours!). I'm willing to put in the time and effort and as long as I see improvements and can keep them from hurting each other (and me) then I will continue down this path!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience, but you received great advice from Carol and Tabatha! You can use the 'Nothing in the is free'. Training tool to start (sticky thread in training section). but getting an in home trainer is the best way to get control.

best of luck and keep us posted

OP
V

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Thanks so much for the help and encouragement. My girls are trying so hard to be good and do the right thing. After I get them apart, they calm down quickly, then move toward one another and nuzzle and kiss. It's sweet to see. They get scolded severely for fighting. Last night, Lily was beside herself with remorse. She literally couldn't figure out what to do with herself, and went off into a corner and sat down looking very sad. I put Daisy on a pad, and she stayed there the rest of the evening. The night was uneventful. This morning something astounding happened. I came out at about 5:00 AM and was sitting at my computer. After a few minutes, I turned around and found both Lily and Daisy were peacefully sleeping, side by side, on the same small dog bed behind me. I never saw both of them together on a bed like that before. They stayed together like that until it was time for their breakfast. Instead of allowing them to dance around the kitchen floor while their breakfasts were being made, I sat them down in specific spots, and made them stay there until their bowls were delivered. They cooperated, and the process was much more orderly. I'm hopeful that their efforts to behave, plus some added structure and discipline from me will go a long way toward solving the problem. I'll report back later.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.