Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
thank you 2BullyMama. I'm running to the pharmacy now to pick up his meds and I get to bring him home in an hour

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I haven't heard of that before, but so glad he is doing well from his surgery. Give him a BIG HUG from us! :grouphug:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Happy to hear the surgery went well and hope they can sort the eye out with meds.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Scrolled cartilage, or cartilage eversion
This condition is less common than ‘cherry eye’ and affects young giant breed dogs, usually during the rapid growth phase. The third eyelid has a T-shaped cartilage within it, to provide some rigidity. One small area of the T grows abnormally fast, so that the cartilage becomes bent, everted or ‘scrolled’. This results in the whole third eyelid becoming scrolled so that it appears as a pink to reddish mass in the corner of the eye. A scrolled cartilage can appear very similar to a ‘cherry eye’ and examination under general anaesthesia may be necessary to distinguish the different conditions.
As with ‘cherry eye’, there is no medical treatment to correct the abnormal cartilage and an operation is required. The operation is straightforward as the abnormal part of the cartilage is identified, dissected free and completely removed. Recurrence is highly unlikely in the same eye.
What is involved?
Your pet will need a general anaesthetic for the operation and will usually stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights. All sutures placed will be dissolvable, so suture removal will not be necessary. A Buster collar or light foot bandage may be required to prevent self-trauma to the eye region for the first few days after surgery.
After-care
Antibiotic and/or anti-inflammatory eye drops or ointment will be prescribed for 7-10 days. Oral medication will also usually be prescribed for 5-10 days.
Rest is advised for the first 5-7 days. Swimming or bathing of the head area should be avoided for the first 14 days. The third eyelid may appear more prominent for several days but this resolves in most cases.
Recurrence
The ‘pocket’ technique is approximately 90% successful. However there are certain breeds in which the condition is more difficult to treat and a second operation may be required. In rare cases, the ophthalmologist may advise removal of the gland, and this will be discussed fully beforehand if relevant.
Some breeds are predisposed to developing both conditions, either at the same time, or within several months of the first symptoms being noticed. Both conditions can affect one or both eyes, although usually there is a delay between the first and second eye being affected. Happy that all went well with his surgery. Good news!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Great to hear the surgery went well! I'm sure he's getting a lot of attention tonight!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:heartsign:Hi, just reading this now, as I just got home. I'm so glad that the neuter surgery went well and Bo came through okay, and is back home with you. Sorry they weren't able to repair his eye. I am familiar with cherry eye, because Blossom developed it in both eyes when she was 5 months old, we had them repaired at the same time as we spayed her at 7 months old. I'm not familiar with rolled cartilage, but Lynn gave you a lot of great information on it, and it says that it can be repaired with surgery. I hope the meds are successful in healing his eye. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you and Bo. I hope he has a quick recovery from his surgery. Feel better Buddy.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So relieved & happy Bo's surgery went well and will pray his eye
condition can be managed. Give him love from me & Cami <3

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm glad to hear that the neuter procedure was a success for Bocephus. I hope the meds will help w/his cherry eye so that surgery may not be required. And it is comforting to know that your vet has a good ophthalmologist to refer you to if the cherry eye surgery will need to take place in the future. Lots of hugs to you and Bo!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue had cherry eye but I've never heard of this until you posted.

Glad to hear the the rest of it went well. Give him a hug and kiss for me.

OP
Bulldozersma

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Scrolled cartilage, or cartilage eversion
This condition is less common than ‘cherry eye’ and affects young giant breed dogs, usually during the rapid growth phase. The third eyelid has a T-shaped cartilage within it, to provide some rigidity. One small area of the T grows abnormally fast, so that the cartilage becomes bent, everted or ‘scrolled’. This results in the whole third eyelid becoming scrolled so that it appears as a pink to reddish mass in the corner of the eye. A scrolled cartilage can appear very similar to a ‘cherry eye’ and examination under general anaesthesia may be necessary to distinguish the different conditions.
As with ‘cherry eye’, there is no medical treatment to correct the abnormal cartilage and an operation is required. The operation is straightforward as the abnormal part of the cartilage is identified, dissected free and completely removed. Recurrence is highly unlikely in the same eye.
What is involved?
Your pet will need a general anaesthetic for the operation and will usually stay in the hospital for 1-2 nights. All sutures placed will be dissolvable, so suture removal will not be necessary. A Buster collar or light foot bandage may be required to prevent self-trauma to the eye region for the first few days after surgery.
After-care
Antibiotic and/or anti-inflammatory eye drops or ointment will be prescribed for 7-10 days. Oral medication will also usually be prescribed for 5-10 days.
Rest is advised for the first 5-7 days. Swimming or bathing of the head area should be avoided for the first 14 days. The third eyelid may appear more prominent for several days but this resolves in most cases.
Recurrence
The ‘pocket’ technique is approximately 90% successful. However there are certain breeds in which the condition is more difficult to treat and a second operation may be required. In rare cases, the ophthalmologist may advise removal of the gland, and this will be discussed fully beforehand if relevant.
Some breeds are predisposed to developing both conditions, either at the same time, or within several months of the first symptoms being noticed. Both conditions can affect one or both eyes, although usually there is a delay between the first and second eye being affected. Happy that all went well with his surgery. Good news!

Thank you all so much!! Bocephus has an appointment with the ophthalmologist next week in Salt Lake City and hopefully will have surgery the same day to repair the scrolled cartilage. I'm nervous for him to be going through another surgery again but his eye is really bothering him and it needs to be fixed. Since this seems like it not as common with bulldogs, I'll post as much as I can find out about it to assist anyone else that run into this in the future. You guys are all great!!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.