What do I do

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
So a guy I work with told me he got an English bulldog and asks me every day what should he do and I give him the best advice I can, a lot from which I learned for all you wonderful people BUT what bothers me is he tells me he "punishes" her and a lot of other things that I don't want to post, well I tell him to just be patient with her and give her time because well I went through the same and I told him to stop the things he's doing. Well he told me he wants a break from her ..... I told him I'll take her for a couple days but after he told me the things he has I feel terrible and I feel as if I won't give her back to him :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sigh...this story plays over & over again, all over the world, poor lil girl :(
I'd have to take her and pray he likes being w/out her sooooo much, he'll
give her to you for good (get it in writing). If you can't keep her, I'll take
her. You'd think people would do theur homework on how much work it
takes to keep a bully healthy. And money and time and patience and time
and work and time and money....most of all, unconditional LOVE.

Makes me cry and rage.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That's a tricky situation for you to be in, If someone told me they were doing horrible things I would be the same as you and not want to give her back I really do not know how to advice you but someone will be able to I'm sure.

Hopefully he will decide he doesn't want her back and she will get a much nicer family to love her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he is an idiot and doesn't deserve her. I would take her and try to talk him into letting you keep her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so sad.... I hope you can get him to re-home her to you and Hercules can have a playmate and sister. I would be trying my darnest to get her off him

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Some people are just idiots! Sorry. just makes me so emotional whenever i hear something like this. I have a neighbor whose dog is now always howling because he dumped the dog to his father and moved in with a new girlfriend. The dog would stop eating for a few days because, ofcourse he misses his real owner. It's not that the dog was mistreated when the guy was still living around here but also his needs are not being met, which for me is also cruel. The poor dog howls and whines constantly and you could see him by the window looking out ...it's just heartbreaking.

I would try and convince him to surrender her to you. Maybe that's what he really wants? that's probably also why he keeps asking and telling you stuff about her. hope he does gives her to you the poor baby.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
This is a bad situation. If the things he has done are severe, my gut reaction would be to tell the dog owner that I will report him to the police unless he gives the dog up to a shelter. If the things he has done are less severe, I would still ask him to give the dog up to a shelter. I don't think you should ask him to surrender the dog to you as that might be seen as if you were threatening him to hand over his property to you. Perhaps you should ask some animal shelter for advice?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would take the dog and then try to convince him that his life is soooo much better without her. I wish you luck. These stories break my heart.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
Honestly what I would do, is I would take her for the "few days" then when he asks (if he even does) for her back just brag and brag how awesome she was for you and how well she got along with your bully. Maybe if he hears that she is happy he will make the right choice. Just dont sound like that is your intention but to "sarcastically" say "I dont want to give her back" and then laugh. :yes: it's manipulative but I feel like if any owner cant handle their own dog and sees that they are truely happy in someone elses care they will do the right thing. So how old is the bully? Id like to see some pictures!

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
I am in the same boat as you are.

When we got Roxy my husbands co worker fell in love with her and he wanted one as well. He said he doesn't want a small puppy but a year old or two. I knew that his work hours were crazy ( as hubbies) and asked him how he wants to take care of the dog if he works from 8am to 8pm. He said his dad and mom will take care of the dog as they help him with his daughter ( he is a single daddy). He asked me to help him to find a dog for him and his daughter , so I did thinking his parents will really help.
Well this is not the case. I found him a pretty female who was a year old. She needed to be spayed but he took forever to get her spayed. She got I to heat and he would leave her outside on a chain while at work!!!! He didn't want to deal with the blood. He lives two streets away from us so my daughter goes there and takes care of the dog. She will bring her in when is too hot it too cold . But the dog can't be in the house alone so she is locked in in the laundry room if not outside alone on a chain without a fence. I go there sometimes to bring her to my house and give her a bath and clean her wrinkles as he doesn't do that. She sinks like a shelter dog. She is so happy when here at my house and hides when he comes to pick her back up. My heart breaks. I begged him and told him I take her. He almost did give her to me and then he changed his mind again. I can't help but feel like the worse person ever as I was the one who found this dog for him.

My advise is to take the dog for few days. If he comes back for her tell him how amazing this dog is and that if he ever changes his mind or needs a break again , you will take it. Some ppl are idiots and I wish I could slap every single one of them!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
Like everyone else said, hopefully you can convince him to let you keep her! That is so heartbreaking. Puppies and dogs in general are a lot of responsibility and I wish people would understand that.

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
I feel just so bad. I talked to my boyfriend last night, I didn't tell him that he was abusing the dog but that he asked me to take her as a break and he just started laughing because he knows how badly I want another dog but I know with that reaction I might upset him if I bring her home. But today I am going to let him know he is abusing her and I'm sure he'll see things differently. She is a 4 month old and she looks like Hercules but she's a red and black. So beautiful. When I get a picture of her I will post it. I haven't been able to get her. But I will soon. I just feel terrible. He told me what kind of food he buys her and started complaining because it was so expensive and how he can't stand how needy she is. Oh well hello!!! Yeah!!!! I'm irritated.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
oh gosh she's just a baby?! OMG! hope you could try to convince him to give her to you the poor poor baby!

OP
raetate

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
oh gosh she's just a baby?! OMG! hope you could try to convince him to give her to you the poor poor baby!

I'm going to get her next week for a day and a half. I've made up my mind and I'm going to see how this goes. The only problem is that if he does give her up to me, I won't be able to keep her in my home :/

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I am in the same boat as you are.

When we got Roxy my husbands co worker fell in love with her and he wanted one as well. He said he doesn't want a small puppy but a year old or two. I knew that his work hours were crazy ( as hubbies) and asked him how he wants to take care of the dog if he works from 8am to 8pm. He said his dad and mom will take care of the dog as they help him with his daughter ( he is a single daddy). He asked me to help him to find a dog for him and his daughter , so I did thinking his parents will really help.
Well this is not the case. I found him a pretty female who was a year old. She needed to be spayed but he took forever to get her spayed. She got I to heat and he would leave her outside on a chain while at work!!!! He didn't want to deal with the blood. He lives two streets away from us so my daughter goes there and takes care of the dog. She will bring her in when is too hot it too cold . But the dog can't be in the house alone so she is locked in in the laundry room if not outside alone on a chain without a fence. I go there sometimes to bring her to my house and give her a bath and clean her wrinkles as he doesn't do that. She sinks like a shelter dog. She is so happy when here at my house and hides when he comes to pick her back up. My heart breaks. I begged him and told him I take her. He almost did give her to me and then he changed his mind again. I can't help but feel like the worse person ever as I was the one who found this dog for him.

My advise is to take the dog for few days. If he comes back for her tell him how amazing this dog is and that if he ever changes his mind or needs a break again , you will take it. Some ppl are idiots and I wish I could slap every single one of them!

Maybe you could talk to him again? why won't he relinquish her to you when he himself knows he can't take care of her? gosh some people are just irritating! Don't feel bad. how would you know he's going to be a terrible dog owner? you just wanted to help. oh man i wanna slap him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.