First Time Bulldog Owner

Lady Bulldog

Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I am a first time english bulldog owner. I have the connection to my bulldog like a mother to a child. I am crazy about this dog! However, he's had such a rough start....everything that can go wrong with him does :(

He's had countless hotspots....tail pocket infections, and cherry eye (with surgery). His behavior has been quite odd the last 24 hours and I couldnt figure out what was going on with him. He's so chubby that he cant turn to lick, chew or scratch himself...but would whip around and try to and then abruptly sit. I looked so closely around his back side, because the last time he acted like this, he ended up with his tail pocket infection. But I can't find anything wrong on the outside! I called his vet and they said he may have to have his anal glands expressed. Looking at his rear, I dont see anything wrong, but that doesnt mean there isnt anything wrong.....

Would anyone agree with this theory? I am going to run him into the vet in the morning if he continues to behave like this. I will be walking and he'll run in front of me, stop, sit and look up at me like "Help me mama" it totally breaks my heart!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Is he scooting his behind on your carpet? Vegas has to have his anal glands expressed about every 5-7 weeks, I know he needs them done when he scoots across my area rug.

chucho90044

May 20, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pancha
It seems that can be the case, you can express his anal glands yourself, its messy so wear gloves. http://youtu.be/Tn2Zm-KwKy4 hopefully this youtube video helps. you'll give your puppy a great relief, guaranteed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya; :welcome3: to EBN!! Yep, sure sounds like the anal glands if his tail pocket is clean.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Could be and the link that [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] has put up for you is excellent info on this

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome Karla & Chunk, so happy you've found us!

What are you feeding him?

OP
Lady Bulldog

Lady Bulldog

Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thanks for all the replies. I brought him to his vet this morning and it was infected anal glands. The doc expressed them and then also infused them with a gel. He needs to go back for a follow-up in 2 weeks. He mentioned that if his glands are still infected, he may have to get them removed. He also has skin issues around the folds of his neck, and yeast infections between his toes. He is on antibiotics for his glands, and it will also help with his skin condition. He looks so much better! I felt bad he had to go through it, but Im just happy they were able to find what was wrong and give him relief so quick! I just get so nervous when I know there is something wrong, but cant figure it out!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Welcome to the site!!! You'll find that everyone here is very knowledgeable and shares your love of bulldogs. My last bulldog, Rampage was extremely allergic to the grass so he'd develop sores between his toes if I didn't clean them vigilantly each time he came back inside. Diet is such a huge part of keeping bullies healthy and happy. Getting him on some good food will help tremendously with his skin issues.

veramcdonald

Apr 9, 2014
Oh god I'm a first timer aswell ,, I breed rotties but hav a fab british bully now 9 mths called Peggy ,, I love the bones of her ,, she has small bits of blood in her urine since yesterday I am wondering is this get " first heat " can anybody help me ?? 😄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
This is helpful info . I learned something new. Porkie does this too, she had her tail amputate , I think it could be phantom tails. She will want to bite but she's too chubby to work behind herself . I might have to check w the a vet if this is what she needs done. I am also , a new EBD owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Just throwing my 2 cents in here, mostly because of the "First Time" title which will undoubtedly attract a lot of new Bully owners. If you can, buy medical insurance for your Bully. Believe me, it will be worth it. Just getting rid of something a little too big that one of my dogs swallowed, and a minor complication, ran almost $5,000.00. And that was just one of several expensive problems I've encountered with my two dogs. When young people come up to me and admire my dogs, and say, "I want to get one as soon as I can," I always start talking to them about the financial responsibility of owning a Bulldog. It's not for the faint of heart.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online