would you let a stranger walk your baby?

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
This sounds like an odd question but

im going on holiday in a few weeks and my mum is staying at my home with Meeko so he doesnt have to stay in a strange place. My mother is getting on a bit now so I would not expect her to walk Meeko and have given her strict instructions not too because he can sometimes try pull to say hello to another dog (we are still in training!!) We have a decent sized front and back garden that he goes out to play in and run around too so wont be house bound

I have seen a pet service advertised locally in my area and they come to your home and walk your pet for you. They are CRB checked and one side of me thinks its a great idea as meeko will still get his daily walk but the other side of me thinks do i really trust somebody else with my baby especially somebody who doesnt know him and his temperement and commands/instructions or how he has been trained.

We are only going for 1 week so he would be OK without his walk but at the same time itl be nice for him to still go out.

so your opinions please :-) would you let a stranger walk your dog or leave him go without for a week?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Personally I would leave him for the week. It's not that long of a time and I would worry the whole time I was gone. I would prefer him to be safe in my fenced yard. Although, maybe I'm just nuts and overprotective?? Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ummm...only after I spoke to them several times and got a gut
instinct about them based on their answers to my questions.

1. Are you familiar with bulldogs and what experience
with them, do you have?

Only a week...let him do without his walk, too much risk involved.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree completely with [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] a week isn't very long at all.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I don't trust anyone with my rottens. Even when Ruthie stays at the neighbors when we go on vacation I tell them "let her out to potty and that's it". Even though some pet walkers are bonded and insured, i still wouldn't do it. I've had a pet sitter take care of our cats, but cats are not high value like Bulldogs. Meeko will be depressed and sad all week from missing you, he won't wanna walk anyway (hahaha). I would just let him hang out with your mom, maybe she can just walk around the yard with him a bit.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have to say that no. I don't trust my boys to just anybody. Some may say I'm too careful to the point of being silly, but I don't care.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Well you all make me feel so normal being over protective and paranoid about people walking him haha hubby thinks im crazy xx

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If only a week, I would go without the walks. We use a pet sitter for ours, but we got references, and he was recommended by a friend of ours. He came over to meet the gang and we got a good feeling about him, and we have been using him for about 5 years now.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] I would have to vette the person out to be sure I could trust them.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We found a need for a dog walker because there are times when we want to take an over night trip and not bring the pups along. We honestly went onto Yelp to read the reviews because we didn't know anyone when we moved to LA. After reading the best of the best we contacted about 5 of them and interviewed each one + asked for referrals. Our logic is: we are hiring you for a service so we want to make sure that you are the best fit for our dogs. We ended up hiring a wonderful dog walker who sends us pics and videos of our dogs when we are away. With that said, if you go this route, make sure you do your homework and don't settle for the first nice person you speak to.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
I agree. a week should be fine. It's sad but during the winter (which the entire time I have had jovi except a few days) it has been snowing and below freezing so I havnt taken her for walks. Now that it is nice out she has a lot of fun running in the backyard. I think if the dog is in the backyard they should have plenty of exercise. Atleast just for that week :]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with every one.... A week without walks will be fine

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I wouldn't I would be too worried so I would prefer they just play ball or something like that to exercise instead of going out walking.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I would say No as well, I do not trust anyone with Elmo, he is my Big Boy, I am so protective of him. Susan Moore

ltpyro

Jul 9, 2013
Anaheim, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinnamon and Pepper
Personally I would leave him for the week. It's not that long of a time and I would worry the whole time I was gone. I would prefer him to be safe in my fenced yard. Although, maybe I'm just nuts and overprotective?? Let's see what everyone else thinks.

I agree, he can live a week without the walk. An alternative might be if you know someone else with a dog, maybe they could bring them over for a play date.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.