Virbac Preventic tick collar issues!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I posted a thread about a week ago about Bennie's possible allergic reaction to tick bite... we went to a vet (not regular one) and she recommended him Virbac Preventic tick collar. She said it's NOT harmful in any way and it's made so even small children can cuddle the dog and it doesn't even matter if they lick their hands afterwards. So I figured it was safe...

Joey's problem holding her bladder started basically immediately (2-3 hours) after putting the collar on, and last night, about a week and a half after putting the collar on, Bennie got the same problem:( Thankfully they both got back to normal after I took the collar off and gave them a shower.

Reported it to the vet and she called me just now... she says there is a mild dose of a paralyzing substance in the collars that releases over time. It is NOT supposed to go through the skin, it's there to paralyze the ticks jaw so it can't bite...

She says she reported it to their sales person from Virbac and they'll call me and possibly take the collars and do tests on them to see if there is something wrong with these ones specifically.

It's just crazy:( I don't know if I should ask my money back? I don't want to pay and support something that harms dogs... it's not expensive but still... I think they should offer the money back by themselves... will be interesting to talk to the representative from Virbac...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would HOPE that they would offer you your money back, obviously something is wrong w/these collars. I mean we all know that bullies are prone to allergic reactions, but that's crazy that Joey couldn't control her bladder… My cats used those collars once, and Midi lost all of his hair on his neck. I removed them immediately…

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I would HOPE that they would offer you your money back, obviously something is wrong w/these collars. I mean we all know that bullies are prone to allergic reactions, but that's crazy that Joey couldn't control her bladder… My cats used those collars once, and Midi lost all of his hair on his neck. I removed them immediately…

I can see why hair is falling out... it's not acceptable but it's somehow understandable... That they lose control over their bladder is just plain scary:fie: and I didn't even keep the collar on them all the time, they didn't wear it at night, so basically they had it on only 50% of the day which makes it even scarier:(

They haven't called me yet... maybe they don't care:unsure:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I used Frontline drops on CoCo (my cat) and almost lost her.
It says it's safe for nursing kittens :O

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That is unbelievable. Hopefully they will call you back. That was a good catch.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I used Frontline drops on CoCo (my cat) and almost lost her.
It says it's safe for nursing kittens :O

Wow:( I used frontline for the first time ever on all 7 dogs in the beginning of summer and they did fine... I just don't like it for many reasons:mellow: She said this collar was safe:*( I'm glad we only have a couple of month left of summer/autumn, then all the shitty little pests will go away. I feel done with it right about now:ashamed: I'm not going to put anything on them again unless it's a natural thing... I've gotten a few suggestions about stuff that works and I hope I can find it somewhere very soon, I'm paranoid now checking them for ticks all the time...:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.