It gets better, right?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
From my experience walks with a non walking dog will take some time. Curly is only into walks when we go somewhere new. Otherwise he just doesn't care to move further then a few steps out side. He's going on 9 months now and just within the last couple of months he started walking around the block with us. He hates this walk because it's our routine potty walk - not fun and adventurous. Sometimes it is so frustrating but what i normally do when he decides to just sit there is to try to make him walk two more houses down before turning around. This way I'm not giving in.

Lola is still young and it will get better as long as you remain consistent. EBs are notorious for being stubborn and hard to train.

It also sounds as if you may be new to training dogs (or stubborn dogs). Going to a training class will really help sharpen your skills. I would suggest doing that as soon as possible.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks everyone. She's doing better in the house.

Now, if we could only get her to go for a walk or outside to potty without a stick. She'll barely go outside for treats, but wave a stick in front of her face and she'll generally follow me anywhere. Any tips on least training?

For leash training I would recommend a Martin Gale collar. There is a thread running now about this. Look at my post on this thread. This is the one I would get if I were you. I made the mistake of trying to train in a harness. BIG mistake. The collar gives much better control and better correction. I was afraid it would choke them too much but it really doesn't and they get the message much faster to calm down and walk nice. As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute. Some bullys take alot of encouragement to go outside. I don't have this but maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
For leash training I would recommend a Martin Gale collar. There is a thread running now about this. Look at my post on this thread. This is the one I would get if I were you. I made the mistake of trying to train in a harness. BIG mistake. The collar gives much better control and better correction. I was afraid it would choke them too much but it really doesn't and they get the message much faster to calm down and walk nice. As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute. Some bullys take alot of encouragement to go outside. I don't have this but maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion.

Great advice! It occurred to me this morning that Curly only started walking on his leash more when we switched him out of the harness and used a collar, so I was going to come on here and suggest that as well :) I need to get my hands on a Martin Gale collar!

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
I definitely don't give in and make her walk a little further before turning around. Walking towards home is never an issue for her.

We'll have to try the Martin Gale collar. I was just reading that thread.

u8anavu7.jpg

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
She just lost her first tooth!!! Yay!!!!!!!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse is stubborn too if he wants to listen he listens if he doesn't he wont they are just like skin kids

Zizzae

Apr 2, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Archibald "Archie"
I'm probably doubling-up on something someone else has said, but I've gotta give my 2 cents too since my situation was somewhat similar when we first got him. Our bully was a little discouraging at first too. He was separated from Mom when he was born (with his siblings), and because of that he had a hard time getting attached to anyone at first. He always wanted his space and never wanted to snuggle even when he slept with us. But we never thought once a negative thought and just chalked it up to the way he was raised. He has come around 10-fold in (less than) a year and his love for us breaks our hearts on a daily basis. The way he pushes his smooshy face against ours and sniffs our breath is probably the cutest thing I have ever seen. He loves smelling breath, it's so weird. He follows us everywhere we go now and he won't leave our sides off the leash -even at the dog park. Just don't give up on her, and love her with everything you have. She will come around. And also, give up on tricks. We taught Archie so many cool tricks at first, but he is so stubborn he only does them when he wants to or if we are eating something that smells exceptionally delicious at dinner. Just think of them as Eeyore :)

Zizzae

Apr 2, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Archibald "Archie"
Mine won't walk either. He's probably the most lazy dog in the world. He rests his heavy head on everything and falls asleep throughout the day. We get about three houses down and he starts laying down. Other than that though, he's a good boy :)

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
We bought a Martin Gale collar for Lola this afternoon and took her for a walk tonight. She did probably the best she's ever done on a walk! I think tomorrow after work, we may take her to a dog park now that she has all her vaccines! I think she'll be in heaven.

Thank you everyone for your advice and letting us know that it does get better (or at least we will eventually get trained by her). We love our little girl so much! She is just a frustrating spoiled brat at times.

e6e4a7y7.jpg

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Remember... She's just a baby @ 4 months old! I have stuff older then that in my fridge :)

Consistency, Socialization and Love are what she needs.

Consistency: Learn the rules
Socialization: Learn she is a dog.. not a human.
Love: Understand she's just a baby :)

As for walks.... Kevin HATED going for walks last month (he was 4 months old then)... Now he loves it (5 months old).

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
We bought a Martin Gale collar for Lola this afternoon and took her for a walk tonight. She did probably the best she's ever done on a walk! I think tomorrow after work, we may take her to a dog park now that she has all her vaccines! I think she'll be in heaven.

Thank you everyone for your advice and letting us know that it does get better (or at least we will eventually get trained by her). We love our little girl so much! She is just a frustrating spoiled brat at times.

e6e4a7y7.jpg

They can be a hand full at times, but just look at her she is going to turn out to be a real sweetie

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
We've had some really good days with her this week! I love her so much, she's just trying at times.

We took her to an off the leash dog park today and she made some friends and wore herself out! Now that she's old enough, we'll be frequenting the dog park more!

Also, 3 teeth gone!! Yay!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.