It gets better, right?

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
I love my little girl, Lola. She's my precious sweetheart (sometimes), but this weekend has been very discouraging. I know a breed trait is stubbornness, but she is trying my nerves so much this weekend, the days I actually get to be home with her ALL day. She's just not listening to anything.

Please tell me it's gets better. I keep telling myself that and have been since we got her 2 months ago (she's 16 weeks now). But sometimes it's hard to believe it will.

ejagezeq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, I hate to tell ya'-but my dogs listen to me-when they feel like it! I know I have spoiled them because there are four-and I very seldom walk them on a leash-the yard is fenced and they just go out when I open the door. When I take one at a time-they behave much better! BUT having one is much easier. The secret to Bullies is food! Even when potty training, I used a treat, when they did the right thing! Get some kind of "special yummy" treat-just for training. When she does as you ask-give her a treat, and praise her like she is a Goddess! Tell her how GOOD she is! Keep a supply handy, and only give those treats when training-when she does as you ask. They are much more food oriented than most other breeds-though they ALL love treats-most other breeds do it for praise. Bullies need a BETTER reason!!ha!ha! :yes:Hang in there-they are smart, but it takes longer to train US! Don't give up-they will try your patience at times-but you have to keep at it, and it will be worth it-though it does take time and patience.:whistle:

Sstone

Feb 13, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks Many! It's not that she does not listen, she seems to want to ignore us completely. She also seems to be showing signs of dominance and aggression. Also, she wants to be around others more so than us. Even though we give her constant attention, treats, play with her, etc. It's starting to get very tough on us. We love her and don't want to give up. But any more advice can be helpful!
6y4arabe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

Baxter Tiberius

Is the problem that she isn't giving you the attention you want?

Or that she is being disobedient and stubborn? I got that impression from your first post. From your second post it sounds more like you guys are angry that she's giving other people more attention.

Its important that you not take something like that personally. When I take Baxter to the doggy park, he runs off like I dont exist, and ignores me the entire time. Acts like he doesn't even know me. He's all over all the people and kids and dogs.

And I let him. Because he deserves the freedom to do that. Just like we do :)

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
She's being disobedient and stubborn.

When going for a walk, I try treats and sticks...she loves sticks...and that generally works, but not always.

She decided this weekend that she doesn't want to sit when we tell her to, which she was doing great at previously. We're trying to teach her to sit so we can put her leash on, she just stopped listening this weekend.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
In my experience. Meatball listens when he wants too. He carefully thinks and ponders on whether or not he wants to obey! For me personally, the training hasn't stopped. Everyday I have to remind him the rules lol! Meatball tests me EVERYDAY on what he can get away with!! He hears me, understands me, he just picks and chooses what he hears and obeys. Yup a CONSTANT challenge. I don't know if it will change lol. Oh and he's 2:)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

When going for a walk, I try treats and sticks...she loves sticks...and that generally works, but not always.

She decided this weekend that she doesn't want to sit when we tell her to, which she was doing great at previously. We're trying to teach her to sit so we can put her leash on, she just stopped listening this weekend.

Do you walk on a leash? When you want her to sit-to put her leash on-let her smell the treat then hold it just a little towards her, and say sit. If she sits-give her the treat.Praise, praise,praise! DO NOT let her grab it out of your hand. Do not give it to her until she sits. She is at the age now where she is going to be testing you on everything, and you can not let her be IN CHARGE. You will teach her that she is dominant, and that is not good. Mine are spoiled brats, but they don't act dominant over me. We don't see people much-so when they do-they go nuts, and could care less about me(who is only their caretaker!) Sometimes you have to get more "devious" and find a way to "trick" them into doing what you want-they remind me of my donkeys-you trick them into thinking it's their idea, and they do it!
For your Bullie, this is also the teething age and they seem to get more testy then,also.

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
We're doing all that. Letting her smell the treat and not letting her grab it from us. But sometimes she'll still stand there and just look at me.

I'm SO ready for her teething stage to be over. My poor hands are riddled with scabs from her little piranha teeth.

Camila bubba

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
It does get better in my case bubba is more calm and more obedient! Ive trained a lot with him. So what i do is sit in front of him and say his name. If he looks at me he gets a treat. We do that for maybe 10 min. After i make
Him sit for other 5 min and now im seeing results. Bubba is 9 months and he comes when I call and sits when I want. Bulldogs are very social so he still wants to say hi to everybody ignoring what i say but if i say his name and sit he is starting to sit before going to say hi. Be patient!! If u train her a lot she will get there.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Its up to you to persevere until the dog is manageable, to keep working and working, not get too frustrated but repeat over and over. The dog is at the stage when they will try you which is natural its like the adolescence stage of a child, a coming of age in which they will try to form some bounderies between independence and interdependence. Its up to you to do what is in the best interest of the dog and yourself to form a relationship that is mutually satisfying. It will get better, IF, you continue to do the right things. It's not up to the dog to figure it out on its own, it is acting on instinct for that age and its up to you to reshape to a situation that is fitting for both. Your dog is not unique in the sense that its abnormal and is different than other bulldogs and some how harder to train. They all to one degree or another act this way at that stage. If you give up and throw in the towel so to speak then that's your decision. I know you came seeking advice and I am trying to be honest with you. It takes a lot of work and perseverance and can get very taxing but many in this forum have gone through it and their dogs are beloved members of their family and have become well integrated in the family routine. You may have to within reason and acceptability make some allowances on what you expect out of the dog. This doesn't mean that you allow them dominance by no means should that be allowed but you can allow for some proclivities within the personality of your dog. It will be well worth it. Just keep on keeping on and seek to be patient and keep doing the right things with the right kind of reinforcements and all will work out fine

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Its up to you to persevere until the dog is manageable, to keep working and working, not get too frustrated but repeat over and over. The dog is at the stage when they will try you which is natural its like the adolescence stage of a child, a coming of age in which they will try to form some bounderies between independence and interdependence. Its up to you to do what is in the best interest of the dog and yourself to form a relationship that is mutually satisfying. It will get better, IF, you continue to do the right things. It's not up to the dog to figure it out on its own, it is acting on instinct for that age and its up to you to reshape to a situation that is fitting for both. Your dog is not unique in the sense that its abnormal and is different than other bulldogs and some how harder to train. They all to one degree or another act this way at that stage. If you give up and throw in the towel so to speak then that's your decision. I know you came seeking advice and I am trying to be honest with you. It takes a lot of work and perseverance and can get very taxing but many in this forum have gone through it and their dogs are beloved members of their family and have become well integrated in the family routine. You may have to within reason and acceptability make some allowances on what you expect out of the dog. This doesn't mean that you allow them dominance by no means should that be allowed but you can allow for some proclivities within the personality of your dog. It will be well worth it. Just keep on keeping on and seek to be patient and keep doing the right things with the right kind of reinforcements and all will work out fine

I couldn't have said it better myself. Persistence and consistency is key with bullies. They will push you during the teenage stage to see whag they can get away with. Its up to you to let them know what is acceptable or not and all of have been there and it does eventually vet better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We actually thought Mabel was hard of hearing because she ignores us unless a treat is involved. You can see her ear move when you call her, but no other reaction. Then she learned how a cheese wrapper sounds as it's quietly opened. She isn't deaf--just stubborn!

SirJoseph

Feb 16, 2014
Northern Nevada
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Joseph AKA JOE
In my experience. Meatball listens when he wants too. He carefully thinks and ponders on whether or not he wants to obey! For me personally, the training hasn't stopped. Everyday I have to remind him the rules lol! Meatball tests me EVERYDAY on what he can get away with!! He hears me, understands me, he just picks and chooses what he hears and obeys. Yup a CONSTANT challenge. I don't know if it will change lol. Oh and he's 2:)

haha - You just described my two teenagers - LOL

JOE's breeder told me bullies are stubborn and everything has to be their idea. FOOD seems to be his primary motivator. He likes the praise and all BUT if there's no food involved he's on to the next thing. He wont even let me pet him after he does his 'business' if there's no treat. He bobs and weaves to get away until I produce his treat. 'Nothing personal' he says ' It's just business.' :)

Stay consistent like everyone has said and things should work out.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Ok so I can tell you we have all been in the same boat. Sometimes I can SEE Brutus thinking about whether or not he is going to listen to what I am saying or not. The key is you have to Win the argument EVERY EVERY time. If you tell her to sit she must sit. IF she does not, nothing else can happen until she sits and then she can be rewarded for sitting. I have found that training with a bulldog never really ends. I feel that refresher courses have to happen all the time. your diligence in this is what is going to make this work. She will know that if you give up without winning the argument, she does not have to listen and never will. Please stick with her, it will be worth it in the end. It does get better. Just when you think you have them trained they enter the terrible two's, which really start at around 11 mos. I equate bulldogs with human kids. They are going to test you all the time and if you are not strong they will take over. You would not give up on your skin kids and you should not give up on your bully. It will be ok. We really are in the same boat. Sometimes your are floating along with two oars and sometimes you are up the creek without any!! Just stay strong and you will recover your oars and float along again. Keep us posted on your progress and vent anytime it's needed.

OP
foxy131

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
Thanks everyone. She's doing better in the house.

Now, if we could only get her to go for a walk or outside to potty without a stick. She'll barely go outside for treats, but wave a stick in front of her face and she'll generally follow me anywhere. Any tips on least training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.