Scott
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Joseph AKA JOE
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: It gets better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 4flowers View Post
    In my experience. Meatball listens when he wants too. He carefully thinks and ponders on whether or not he wants to obey! For me personally, the training hasn't stopped. Everyday I have to remind him the rules lol! Meatball tests me EVERYDAY on what he can get away with!! He hears me, understands me, he just picks and chooses what he hears and obeys. Yup a CONSTANT challenge. I don't know if it will change lol. Oh and he's 2
    haha - You just described my two teenagers - LOL

JOE's breeder told me bullies are stubborn and everything has to be their idea. FOOD seems to be his primary motivator. He likes the praise and all BUT if there's no food involved he's on to the next thing. He wont even let me pet him after he does his 'business' if there's no treat. He bobs and weaves to get away until I produce his treat. 'Nothing personal' he says ' It's just business.'

Stay consistent like everyone has said and things should work out.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by foxy131 View Post
    She's being disobedient and stubborn.

When going for a walk, I try treats and sticks...she loves sticks...and that generally works, but not always.

She decided this weekend that she doesn't want to sit when we tell her to, which she was doing great at previously. We're trying to teach her to sit so we can put her leash on, she just stopped listening this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ok so I can tell you we have all been in the same boat. Sometimes I can SEE Brutus thinking about whether or not he is going to listen to what I am saying or not. The key is you have to Win the argument EVERY EVERY time. If you tell her to sit she must sit. IF she does not, nothing else can happen until she sits and then she can be rewarded for sitting. I have found that training with a bulldog never really ends. I feel that refresher courses have to happen all the time. your diligence in this is what is going to make this work. She will know that if you give up without winning the argument, she does not have to listen and never will. Please stick with her, it will be worth it in the end. It does get better. Just when you think you have them trained they enter the terrible two's, which really start at around 11 mos. I equate bulldogs with human kids. They are going to test you all the time and if you are not strong they will take over. You would not give up on your skin kids and you should not give up on your bully. It will be ok. We really are in the same boat. Sometimes your are floating along with two oars and sometimes you are up the creek without any!! Just stay strong and you will recover your oars and float along again. Keep us posted on your progress and vent anytime it's needed.
    My smooshy face boy!

Thanks everyone. She's doing better in the house.

Now, if we could only get her to go for a walk or outside to potty without a stick. She'll barely go outside for treats, but wave a stick in front of her face and she'll generally follow me anywhere. Any tips on least training?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Default It gets better, right?

From my experience walks with a non walking dog will take some time. Curly is only into walks when we go somewhere new. Otherwise he just doesn't care to move further then a few steps out side. He's going on 9 months now and just within the last couple of months he started walking around the block with us. He hates this walk because it's our routine potty walk - not fun and adventurous. Sometimes it is so frustrating but what i normally do when he decides to just sit there is to try to make him walk two more houses down before turning around. This way I'm not giving in.

Lola is still young and it will get better as long as you remain consistent. EBs are notorious for being stubborn and hard to train.

It also sounds as if you may be new to training dogs (or stubborn dogs). Going to a training class will really help sharpen your skills. I would suggest doing that as soon as possible.

Good luck!!

check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by foxy131 View Post
    Thanks everyone. She's doing better in the house.

Now, if we could only get her to go for a walk or outside to potty without a stick. She'll barely go outside for treats, but wave a stick in front of her face and she'll generally follow me anywhere. Any tips on least training?

For leash training I would recommend a Martin Gale collar. There is a thread running now about this. Look at my post on this thread. This is the one I would get if I were you. I made the mistake of trying to train in a harness. BIG mistake. The collar gives much better control and better correction. I was afraid it would choke them too much but it really doesn't and they get the message much faster to calm down and walk nice. As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute. Some bullys take alot of encouragement to go outside. I don't have this but maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    For leash training I would recommend a Martin Gale collar. There is a thread running now about this. Look at my post on this thread. This is the one I would get if I were you. I made the mistake of trying to train in a harness. BIG mistake. The collar gives much better control and better correction. I was afraid it would choke them too much but it really doesn't and they get the message much faster to calm down and walk nice. As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute. Some bullys take alot of encouragement to go outside. I don't have this but maybe someone else will come along with a suggestion.
    Great advice! It occurred to me this morning that Curly only started walking on his leash more when we switched him out of the harness and used a collar, so I was going to come on here and suggest that as well I need to get my hands on a Martin Gale collar!
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=brutus, As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute.}

[COLOR=#0000ff]OMG, Rosalie, this is hilarious! LMAO, only a bully!![/COLOR]

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;485242]
    Quote Originally Posted by brutus, As far as sticks and stuff outside, Brutus will not go out to do his business without a toy in his mouth. If he starts to go outside without one he actually turns around gets one and then goes out. I choose my battles with him and if he likes to poop with a toy then thats ok with me. It's actually kinda cute.}

[COLOR=#0000ff
    OMG, Rosalie, this is hilarious! LMAO, only a bully!![/COLOR]
    I have to try to get a picture. It is really funny!!
    My smooshy face boy!

I definitely don't give in and make her walk a little further before turning around. Walking towards home is never an issue for her.

We'll have to try the Martin Gale collar. I was just reading that thread.

Using Tapatalk

She just lost her first tooth!!! Yay!!!!!!!!

Using Tapatalk

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ftse is stubborn too if he wants to listen he listens if he doesn't he wont they are just like skin kids

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Archibald "Archie"
    Likes (Received)

I'm probably doubling-up on something someone else has said, but I've gotta give my 2 cents too since my situation was somewhat similar when we first got him. Our bully was a little discouraging at first too. He was separated from Mom when he was born (with his siblings), and because of that he had a hard time getting attached to anyone at first. He always wanted his space and never wanted to snuggle even when he slept with us. But we never thought once a negative thought and just chalked it up to the way he was raised. He has come around 10-fold in (less than) a year and his love for us breaks our hearts on a daily basis. The way he pushes his smooshy face against ours and sniffs our breath is probably the cutest thing I have ever seen. He loves smelling breath, it's so weird. He follows us everywhere we go now and he won't leave our sides off the leash -even at the dog park. Just don't give up on her, and love her with everything you have. She will come around. And also, give up on tricks. We taught Archie so many cool tricks at first, but he is so stubborn he only does them when he wants to or if we are eating something that smells exceptionally delicious at dinner. Just think of them as Eeyore
    "My bulldog has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at the slightest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads