Lots of things....

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
A friend of mine sent me a Facebook post about free bulldogs. I contacted them in hopes of saving one at least. I told my friend unfortunately the novelty of having a bulldog will win out, all the pups will be gone quick and then in a few months will end up in rescues or shelters once people realize they are high maintenance dogs. I know we all here have seen it, and I'm hoping that people prove me wrong and all those pups go to loving, great homes. I obviously don't need another one the rottens are quite a handful, but I know I could provide a loving home.

Sweet ruthie...her interdigital cyst is still there. It hasn't gone down at all. I've been cleaning it, and putting cream on it. Her eye is still not 100% and her one fold, which is sore, won't heal and I just noticed her little tail nubbin has no hair. Why do I feel like a horrible mom and like she's falling apart on me? My poor sweet girl, I work on her 2 times a day and she's aggravated and sad. I haven't had any bonding time with her since Brutus came and I feel like we need it. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow.... free pups posted on FB --- that is one scary situation. Keep us posted on that one.

Ruthie - sorry as I probably should know this, what are you feeding her?

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow.... free pups posted on FB --- that is one scary situation. Keep us posted on that one.

Ruthie - sorry as I probably should know this, what are you feeding her?
The puppies are gone....and it's kinda a blessing cause I really don't think I could handle another LOL.

She's on Fromm's Pork and Peas. I'm hoping maybe her allergies are just acting up cause i know mine are. I'm giving her 1 benadryl a day.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Jennie, I am going through the same exact thing. I feel like Brutus is falling apart on me and trying to care for him and pay attention to everyone is going to be the death of me. On top of it all, I have a raging Upper Respiratory Infection, so I am not operating at 100%. What I have tried to do is I always greet Brutus first when I come home, and then I greet Frankie. This seems to be important to Brutus and I can tell he likes it. Frankie doesn't care and is patient to wait his turn. At night when it is quiet and we are watching TV, I alternate who sleeps on my lap. One night it is Frankie and the next night it is Brutus. My husband will have whoever I don't that night. They definitely need their own cuddle time. Brutus was extremely spoiled before Frankie came and I don't think it is fair that anything should change just because we added another to our home. I know everyone is loved and taken care of but sometimes it can be really overwhelming. You are right as far as some of those pups winding up in rescue or shelters because ever the most experience owners are overwhelmed at times. I have a friend (a church aquaintence really) that is looking to adopt a bulldog and god forgive me but I spoke to the rescue where she has her application in because she has made comments to me that I think are not appropriate for owning a bulldog. I do not think I am the perfect bully owner by any means but when I tried to feel her out as far as what she thought having a bulldog would be like and her reply was "how hard can it be, you feed it walk it and let it outside for the day". UMMM.....NO!!! So I butt my nose in where I probably shouldn't have and told the rescue maybe she wasn't bully material. I would feel horrible if a baby that is already in rescue had to be returned because they weren't aware of what a bully really needs. Any how, stay strong Jennie, you are doing a fabulous job with Ruthie and Brutus.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I always hate to see free puppies anywhere, because the scum that fight dogs will send someone over to act like a good person to get the pups and then use them as bait dogs. Poor babies die a horrible death. If your baby is still having allergy problems, you might try the FROMM Game bird to see if that helps.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I always hate to see free puppies anywhere, because the scum that fight dogs will send someone over to act like a good person to get the pups and then use them as bait dogs. Poor babies die a horrible death. If your baby is still having allergy problems, you might try the FROMM Game bird to see if that helps.
That is why i hurried up and contacted the person. I knew it would be a matter of time before they ended up in horrible situations. I pray they don't though. I'll definitely try switching their food. She's never been this bad off before. Think she could be allergic to Brutus????

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jennie, I am going through the same exact thing. I feel like Brutus is falling apart on me and trying to care for him and pay attention to everyone is going to be the death of me. On top of it all, I have a raging Upper Respiratory Infection, so I am not operating at 100%. What I have tried to do is I always greet Brutus first when I come home, and then I greet Frankie. This seems to be important to Brutus and I can tell he likes it. Frankie doesn't care and is patient to wait his turn. At night when it is quiet and we are watching TV, I alternate who sleeps on my lap. One night it is Frankie and the next night it is Brutus. My husband will have whoever I don't that night. They definitely need their own cuddle time. Brutus was extremely spoiled before Frankie came and I don't think it is fair that anything should change just because we added another to our home. I know everyone is loved and taken care of but sometimes it can be really overwhelming. You are right as far as some of those pups winding up in rescue or shelters because ever the most experience owners are overwhelmed at times. I have a friend (a church aquaintence really) that is looking to adopt a bulldog and god forgive me but I spoke to the rescue where she has her application in because she has made comments to me that I think are not appropriate for owning a bulldog. I do not think I am the perfect bully owner by any means but when I tried to feel her out as far as what she thought having a bulldog would be like and her reply was "how hard can it be, you feed it walk it and let it outside for the day". UMMM.....NO!!! So I butt my nose in where I probably shouldn't have and told the rescue maybe she wasn't bully material. I would feel horrible if a baby that is already in rescue had to be returned because they weren't aware of what a bully really needs. Any how, stay strong Jennie, you are doing a fabulous job with Ruthie and Brutus.
Thank you so much for this!!! Your support is awesome. I would have done the same thing if i was in your shoes. I always try to stress to people that yeah they are the best dogs ever, but they aren't for everyone and they are like no other dog. That is what happened to Brutus, someone adopted him and gave him back because they thought he would be lazy, he's not. Ruthie was and still is the baby but i am struggling giving her her own time. I think it's also hard that she slept with us until Brutus came and we would use that sleeping time to bond. We don't have that time now, especially in the mornings when we would lay there and chit chat before getting up. I know i sound insane, but that was our time together. I need to figure out that balance and make my husband take brutus somewhere so i can concentrate on Ruthie. hahaha.

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Yep I was pretty naive on the bully breed I thought I did a lot of research and wanted the bully cause they are lazy .. Lol was I in for an awaking but I take better care of my bully baby than any dog I have ever owned and can not imagine ever owning anything but a bulldog ! Sorry your baby is having such a hard time but you are a great bully mom and I am sure you get it all worked out .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] Have you tried Duoxo pads on her folds? and Vetricyn on her cysts? I think you're right that Brutus needs to go have a boys day with your husband so you can spend the day with Ruthie.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@JennieS Have you tried Duoxo pads on her folds? and Vetricyn on her cysts? I think you're right that Brutus needs to go have a boys day with your husband so you can spend the day with Ruthie.
No I haven't, I've been using malecetic wipes for both. I've also been using on her cyst bactine and muprocin ointment. I'm going to go order some of both right now! Thanks Phil. :)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No I haven't, I've been using malecetic wipes for both. I've also been using on her cyst bactine and muprocin ointment. I'm going to go order some of both right now! Thanks Phil. :)

If your using the malecetic on her folds that's good. I think at this time of year all of the allergies really really get going. I hope she feels better soon.

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
If your using the malecetic on her folds that's good. I think at this time of year all of the allergies really really get going. I hope she feels better soon.

That Vetricyn is expensive!!!! I got that and the duoxo pads. I hope she feels better too. We never have issues with her folds until summer and she's in the water all the time. She's just breakin my heart.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That Vetricyn is expensive!!!! I got that and the duoxo pads. I hope she feels better too. We never have issues with her folds until summer and she's in the water all the time. She's just breakin my heart.

I'm sorry, she's still getting used to the whole Brutus scene that's all. She'll be back to herself once things calm a bit and has time to get used to the whole thing. I can totally relate, we used to have 2 girl pugs and then got a new Frenchy boy and we were so worried about how the oldest pug was feeling. We did what you were talking about and I would take the Frenchy out and around and my wife would spend extra time with girls. It took a couple of months but everyone got used to it. Try not to worry about it because she picks up on it and wants you to be happy. :yes: She'll come around eventually. Give her a big kiss from Buster and tell her everything will be ok!! ;)

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry, she's still getting used to the whole Brutus scene that's all. She'll be back to herself once things calm a bit and has time to get used to the whole thing. I can totally relate, we used to have 2 girl pugs and then got a new Frenchy boy and we were so worried about how the oldest pug was feeling. We did what you were talking about and I would take the Frenchy out and around and my wife would spend extra time with girls. It took a couple of months but everyone got used to it. Try not to worry about it because she picks up on it and wants you to be happy. :yes: She'll come around eventually. Give her a big kiss from Buster and tell her everything will be ok!! ;)
I hope that is all it is. I will do that, I know a big kiss from Buster will make her feel much better!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online