life jacket suggestions

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
It's summer (almost) and I've been doing some research on life jackets for my bullie boy. We went to Petco to try on the ones there, and the vests just did not fit that well. I didn't like the idea of the velcro holding him in and the mesh velcro underside was much too long for Koozer and covered up his "peep"...but we had to try the large size because of his girth. I remember some people on here suggesting some life jackets so i looked into them. The one I really am interested in is the RuffWear life jacket. Seems super durable and well made. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I was about to recommendf Ruffwear too lol. Ezydog has a line of swimming vest too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I will tag a member who uses life jackets for her babies. We don't use them, because we never go any place they would need one. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION].

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Thanks for info. Do you actually have a Ruffwear jacket? If so, did you find the sizing chart to be pretty accurate?

no we don't have one but it's has lots of good reviews. it's in my amazon wish list lol. sorry if i no help.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Im also curious if they will actually fit our piggies. Looks like a nice jacket though:

http://www.ruffwear.com/-9-float-coat?sc=2&category=694

And here is the sizing chart: http://www.ruffwear.com/Life-Jackets

As you all know - the key to fitting things on our dogs is "adjustability". Doesn't look like these adjust.

As a side note, I wish there was a life jacket with the majority of the flotation stuff on the underside of the front. That would be ideal for an english bulldog.

-B-

B

Baxter Tiberius

Im going to give this one a try because it has exactly what I suggested above. A front float underneath to support the head above water
http://www.myoutwardhound.com/2518.html

I also bought the one mentioned above from Ruffwear. The sizing issue is difficult over the internet. I got a large of the 1st one and a Medium of the 2nd one.

One might be too big, the other too small. I'll video tape baxter jumping in the water with each one and we can see how ti goes.

-B-

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's summer (almost) and I've been doing some research on life jackets for my bullie boy. We went to Petco to try on the ones there, and the vests just did not fit that well. I didn't like the idea of the velcro holding him in and the mesh velcro underside was much too long for Koozer and covered up his "peep"...but we had to try the large size because of his girth. I remember some people on here suggesting some life jackets so i looked into them. The one I really am interested in is the RuffWear life jacket. Seems super durable and well made. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Ruff Wear's life jackets. They're the only brand I've used for the last 13 years. Wilson's fit him great as did Emmas. They're stitched great, have clasped and there'a very solid handle at that top. My two Pitties, Ace & Orion, wore there's on the boat for nearly 11 seasons and they were heavy water goers. That stitching and buoyancy held strong. They were 75lbs and I would pull them up by the handle to get them back in the boat.

Here's a few pics of Wilson and Emma in theirs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's good video of Emma swimming in hers.

Wilson does not like to swim so he always stays on the shore line.

And this is why bulldogs should have a life jacket on even on shore. Excuse my gasp! :bigeyes: No idea whose boat that is there either.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh I love the videos! Thank God for the life jacket!!(and the parents...) When my kids were young we lived near the beach and they and the dogs loved the water!(me,too)

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thank you everyone for your tips on life jackets. After much research we bought the Ruffwear lifejacket. It arrived today and I already put Koozer in it, around the house. I think it is going to be perfect!!! I am soooo excited to try it out.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Just thought I'd post a quick pic of Koozer in his new lifejacket. It has not been fitted yet, so it looks a bit bulky. lifejacket.jpg

B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

Wilson is adorable!!!! Did he get a face full of rock under that water? Ouch!

-B-

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

Wilson is adorable!!!! Did he get a face full of rock under that water? Ouch!

-B-
Thanks. He's a pretty cute PITA. :laugh: Yes he got a face full of rock too. There was shelf slab where he fell. Poor guy was all shook up after that. He started puking a good amout of water too. I quit recording when that happened of course and tending to him.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.