Attacked at Dog Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Baxter Tiberius

So just an update. Today we went to the dog park. Guess what happened? Baxter bounced up to a pitbull, happy as can be, and ended up getting chased 20 yards and then trampled as the dog viciously growled and barked at him.

It didn't take long for me to turn to the owner and say "F****g Pitbulls"

Oh, I should note, this is the pitbull that everyone said was sweet. Great reputation.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
They are. And I say this after attending a dog park 3x a week for the last two months, that has 40+ dogs at it, every day. So that's a huge spectrum of dog breeds that I have monitored. While there have been some Pitbulls that were just as friendly as all the other breeds, it has *always* been the Pitbulls that ended up losing temper, or viciously attacking one of the other dogs out of thin air. I can say this honestly, as I went into the situation having no negative opinion of any dog breed.

It's never the cocker spaniel that is viciously snarling and pulling at its owners leash, fangs dripping with foam and saliva for absolutely ZERO REASON. It was the Pitbull doing that. The owner even had the lack of brains to complain that there were so many dogs off their leashes around his violent angry dog. As if the off-leash dogs were the problem, not his Pitbull that wanted blood. People are strange.

I read the other day that Pitbulls were manually selected for breeding *based on* aggressive traits. This isn't something that should just be ignored out of political correctness, or fear of offending people. If you breed for cuteness and sweet disposition, you're going to end up with a line of dogs that are cute and sweet. Not all Pitbulls are aggressive and mean. But the breed that has had the most problems at the park has consistently been the Pitbulls.

Makes it kinda hard to ignore the "stigma".

-B-

I would have to agree. I have seen a handful of dog fights at the dog park while I was there. Each and every time the aggressor was a pit bull or a pit bull mix. Four out of the five times the other dog got bloodied. Two times the owners of the pit just left while the owners of the other dog were tending it without bothering to see if it was OK. This is not my opinion on the breed, these are just factual situations that I have observed first hand.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So just an update. Today we went to the dog park. Guess what happened? Baxter bounced up to a pitbull, happy as can be, and ended up getting chased 20 yards and then trampled as the dog viciously growled and barked at him.

It didn't take long for me to turn to the owner and say "F****g Pitbulls"

Oh, I should note, this is the pitbull that everyone said was sweet. Great reputation.

You should have said F***ing useless owner..... The dogs behavior is an extension of the owner not properly knowing the breed or training their dog. In the 70's is was the German Shepard, in the 80's it was the Domberman Pincher, in the 90's the Rottweiler ... These were all do to assholes wanting to make a fighting breed... So until the assholes find a new breed to train as fighters it will be the Pitty.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I don't really wanna comment nor add to this anymore as this thread is slowly becoming about the offense and defense about the infamous Pittbulls. I already said my peice on this but as i continue to read other people's comments about the "F****g Pitbulls"
the more i can't help myself.

First one has to understand how Pittbulls come about so let me paste a little history about the viscious and most hatred Pitts: This is just an excerpt from ASPCA's The Truth About Pittbulls..

The Pit Bullā€™s History
Origins
The pit bullā€™s ancestors hail from England and were brought to North America by English immigrants. These descendants were bred from the bulldog, which some breed historians believe originally served as a ā€œgripping dogā€ for hunters of large game. (The term ā€œbulldogā€ does not refer to the American Kennel Clubā€™s English Bulldog. This more recently developed breed serves as a loyal companion rather than a working dog.) Later, bulldogs were likely used as butcherā€™s dogs and helped control large livestock. Eventually, these dogs were bred to participate in an inhumane blood sport called ā€œbaiting.ā€ Spectators found it highly entertaining to watch bulldogs pitted against bulls, bears and other large animals. During these violent events, one or more dogs were expected to attack another animal, biting it around the face and head. The dogs usually maintained their grip until the animal became exhausted from fighting and loss of blood. After animal baiting was banned in the early 1800s, people began pitting dogs against each other, and the cruel sport of dog fighting was born. As it grew in popularity, enthusiasts developed a lighter, more agile dog for the fighting ring. Some people bred their bulldogs with black and tan terriers, creating dogs who were only 25 to 30 pounds. Others may have simply selected smaller bulldogs for breeding purposes. These dogs were the forebears of the present-day pit bull.

I firmly believe that if a dog is viscious it is ALWAYS, and i cant emphasize the word enough, ALWAYS 100% the owner's fault. Now granted the Pitts are originally developed to fight other dogs, but what we have to realize is this trait ingrained in them is man made! with responsible breeding, responsible ownership those "
F****g Pitbulls" can be and are amazing pets! they are very smart and are very strong. They need an owner/owners that can teach them and not break them. they are not for everyone, exactly like our beloved bullies. If one can't stimulate them mentally and physically then they have no business owning one but most people are just plain dumb.

I'm 5 foot 1. I would love to have a Pittbull just to show those people what they are really made of but i know i won't be able to give them the physical training that they need so i don't. I opt for a breed that i know i can handle, that i know i can train, that i have researched countless hours and yearned for years. Imagine those snippy growling Chihuahuas as big as our bullies...they get away with anything simply because they are small. Dogs' behaviors are extensions of the owners' well being. Killer and viscious dogs are man made plain and simple.

To [MENTION=8562]IPickedADaisy[/MENTION], I'm sorry if i hijacked your thread and is out of topic...i just felt the need to speak up. And to the mods i accept if i am going to be reprimanded :).

Hope little Daisy is recovering well and quickly. Summer is around the corner , wonderful time to enjoy the outside...wheather permitting that is :).

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I don't really wanna comment nor add to this anymore as this thread is slowly becoming about the offense and defense about the infamous Pittbulls. I already said my peice on this but as i continue to read other people's comments about the "F****g Pitbulls"

First one has to understand how Pittbulls come about so let me paste a little history about the viscious and most hatred Pitts: This is just an excerpt from ASPCA's The Truth About Pittbulls..

The Pit Bullā€™s History
Origins
The pit bullā€™s ancestors hail from England and were brought to North America by English immigrants. These descendants were bred from the bulldog, which some breed historians believe originally served as a ā€œgripping dogā€ for hunters of large game. (The term ā€œbulldogā€ does not refer to the American Kennel Clubā€™s English Bulldog. This more recently developed breed serves as a loyal companion rather than a working dog.) Later, bulldogs were likely used as butcherā€™s dogs and helped control large livestock. Eventually, these dogs were bred to participate in an inhumane blood sport called ā€œbaiting.ā€ Spectators found it highly entertaining to watch bulldogs pitted against bulls, bears and other large animals. During these violent events, one or more dogs were expected to attack another animal, biting it around the face and head. The dogs usually maintained their grip until the animal became exhausted from fighting and loss of blood. After animal baiting was banned in the early 1800s, people began pitting dogs against each other, and the cruel sport of dog fighting was born. As it grew in popularity, enthusiasts developed a lighter, more agile dog for the fighting ring. Some people bred their bulldogs with black and tan terriers, creating dogs who were only 25 to 30 pounds. Others may have simply selected smaller bulldogs for breeding purposes. These dogs were the forebears of the present-day pit bull.

I firmly believe that if a dog is viscious it is ALWAYS, and i cant emphasize the word enough, ALWAYS 100% the owner's fault. Now granted the Pitts are originally developed to fight other dogs, but what we have to realize is this trait ingrained in them is man made! with responsible breeding, responsible ownership those "
F****g Pitbulls" can be and are amazing pets! they are very smart and are very strong. They need an owner/owners that can teach them and not break them. they are not for everyone, exactly like our beloved bullies. If one can't stimulate them mentally and physically then they have no business owning one but most people are just plain dumb.

I'm 5 foot 1. I would love to have a Pittbull just to show those people what they are really made of but i know i won't be able to give them the physical training that they need so i don't. I opt for a breed that i know i can handle, that i know i can train, that i have researched countless hours and yearned for years. Imagine those snippy growling Chihuahuas as big as our bullies...they get away with anything simply because they are small. Dogs' behaviors are extensions of the owners' well being. Killer and viscious dogs are man made plain and simple.

To [MENTION=8562]IPickedADaisy[/MENTION], I'm sorry if i hijacked your thread and is out of topic...i just felt the need to speak up. And to the mods i accept if i am going to be reprimanded :).

Hope little Daisy is recovering well and quickly. Summer is around the corner , wonderful time to enjoy the outside...wheather permitting that is :).

No reprimanding necessary. You voiced your opinion with poise. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson

The Pit Bullā€™s History
Origins

To @IPickedADaisy, I'm sorry if i hijacked your thread and is out of topic...i just felt the need to speak up. And to the mods i accept if i am going to be reprimanded :).

It has been proven without a doubt that the breed is not the issue. Now the breed is probably more aggressive by nature, but attacking other dogs and poor behavior is all about the owner. I have a friend that has a rescued ex fighting pit that is now a therapy dog for dying old people, there is no way it is the breed if an ex fighting dog can be turned into a therapy dog.

B

Baxter Tiberius

It has been proven without a doubt that the breed is not the issue.

Now the breed is probably more aggressive by nature

The owners wouldn't have anything to be at fault for, if this breed didn't have tendencies towards violent aggression in the first place.

Baxter is not fixed. Dogs know when another male dog approaches that isn't fixed. If the dog being approached has behavioral issues, due to decades of breeding for aggressiveness, then that dog may view the approach as a challenge to his dominance, and may attack. Baxter can approach 30 other dogs at the same park and have absolutely zero problems. Why is that? Because the Pitbull is the only dog at the park that views Baxter as a challenge to his dominance. Or rather - The Pitbull is the only dog at the park that handles that challenge with violent aggression. Period!

You can't make the statement its been "proven" its not the breed, then turn around and admit the breed needs anger management training. Those are contradictory. At least say the problem is the breed, and the owner also isn't equipped to make a violent dog submissive. That would be a fair and factual way of putting it. I dare say quite a few Pitbull owners "did everything right" and still deal with this kind of behavior. Just like quite a few E.B. owners do everything right, and still deal with potty training issues. (!me!)

This is a numbers issue. A percentage issue. If you were to line up 10 fat little English Bulldogs and 10 unfixed male Pitbulls, can ya guess which breed is going to display a higher percentage of violent aggression? I can. Its just *more common* with Pitbulls. I just want to be able to take Bax to the park without getting attacked. From now on, if I see a Pitbull, we are going to turn around and leave. And you can be assured, I won't be leaving because of whoever is holding the leash.

-B-

--------------------

PS: A portion of the ASPCA page quoted above, that was left out:

"Bites delivered during a [dog confrontation] are typically inhibited because the point is to cause pain but not necessarily to inflict serious injuries. Pit bulls have been bred to behave differently during a fight.They may not give warning before becoming aggressive, and theyā€™re less likely to back down when clashing with an opponent. When provoked, they may become aggressive more readily than another breed might. Sometimes they donā€™t inhibit their bites, so they may cause injury more often than other dogs."

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO when I have attended dog parks, most of the owners seem oblivious to what their own dogs are doing. By the time something gets started, it's too late to get the dogs under control. I know several trainers that own pit bulls & they are amazing pets. That being said, they put a LOT of time into working w/these dogs. I love German Shepherds, but don't own one. I don't have the time to train one, and that to me is being a responsible pet owner. Most people just want something, because they want it NOW!!! Pits need training & understanding... Something that your average owner is not willing to do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
The owners wouldn't have anything to be at fault for, if this breed didn't have tendencies towards violent aggression in the first place.
Excuse me? This breed does not have violent agressesion tendencies. I feel you're classifying the entire breed but what small precentage your have read about and seen by our media's propaganda. I have had 4 pit bulls and Jack is #4 . None of them have had what you call "tendiencies toward violent agression." As a matter of fact, it is Wilson who has started quite a few fights, not my pitty. And when the mailman asked me once day when he knocked on the door and they all went to the door, "why did you pick up the short dog and put him away." Because he's the one that I have to worry about, not the the big one."

Baxter is not fixed. Dogs know when another male dog approaches that isn't fixed.
I would agree that ALL dogs know when one is not fixed. But my suggestion is since Baxter is not fixed is to quit putting him in this position and taking him to the dog parks. Period! as you say it.

This is a numbers issue. A percentage issue. If you were to line up 10 fat little English Bulldogs and 10 unfixed male Pitbulls, can ya guess which breed is going to display a higher percentage of violent aggression? I can. Its just *more common* with Pitbulls.
BULLCRAP! You line any 10 dogs in front of each other like that using your example and that's just asking for trouble, that is the animal nature and especially if they begin a stare off. That's really an unfair analysis.

I just want to be able to take Bax to the park without getting attacked. From now on, if I see a Pitbull, we are going to turn around and leave. And you can be assured, I won't be leaving because of whoever is holding the leash.
Good!!!! You sound pretty breed biased and I as an owner of 4 am glad you wouldu be leaving so my Pitties can have a great time. But don't worry, that won't be happening as I don't do the dog park scene as there's generally too many irrisponsible owners letting their dogs run amuck without watching them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well is all boils down to owners not being responsible owners and watching their dogs. Period. I am closing this post as I think there has been enough said about this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Members online