Attacked at Dog Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackieshoes

Sep 30, 2012
Mississippi
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Dexter was attacked by a pit bull once. He had played with this put since he was a baby and never any issues. Dexter is also submissive to my 3 pound chihuahua so he's definitely not aggressive. Well we had just moved into a tiny rent house and there was a small hallway that was half taken up by a mattress. Well the pit was spending that weekend at our house (roommate dog sitting) and we were all going down the same hallway and I turned around to go back down the hallway- so dexter, the pit and I were in a very confined space. I think it just got overwhelming and he jumped on Dexter. I screamed and dove right in the middle of it. Dexter had 2 puncture marks on his head but neither one was I'll toward each other anymore after that. I completely understand diving in because I KNOW that's the opposite of what any sane person would do but it was my first reaction.

I would try and see if the owner is there to at least talk to them - and make them pay the vet bills. The incident does need to be reported if possible.

Prayers and hugs for you and Daisy!!!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
[MENTION=8562]IPickedADaisy[/MENTION] God, just read this, horrifying, it is so scary to go through. So glad Daisy and you are o.k. I am sure Daisy will be fine after she meets some friendly dogs agiain, it has happened a couple of times in my life with other dogs and they were still their friendly selves after it.

Bazza has been attacked once when the kids accidently let him out the front, at the same time a guy was walking his two dogs and one attacked got his leg a couple small puncture marks, but Bazza is still his happy and loves meeting other dogs.

OP
IPickedADaisy

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
How is Ms Daisy doing?
She's doing much better! We haven't been out anywhere because I can't put a collar on her yet. Thanks for asking.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
OMG how scary for you and Daisy!! I think you handled it much better than I would have!! I never take my dogs to the dog park for fear of something like that happening. Im glad she is going to be ok!!

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
Sucks she got attacked, but pointing out it was a "pitbull" perpetuates the stigma that the breed is aggressive or dangerous. This could have happened with any breed of dog. Again, I'm not condoning the behavior of the other dog, but the reason pitbulls are the most common dog to be put to sleep is due to this stigma. I do feel sorry for your dog, just be careful with pointing out the breed as this had nothing to do with the attack. Best of luck with the recovery.

OP
IPickedADaisy

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Sucks she got attacked, but pointing out it was a "pitbull" perpetuates the stigma that the breed is aggressive or dangerous. This could have happened with any breed of dog. Again, I'm not condoning the behavior of the other dog, but the reason pitbulls are the most common dog to be put to sleep is due to this stigma. I do feel sorry for your dog, just be careful with pointing out the breed as this had nothing to do with the attack. Best of luck with the recovery.
I know there is a stigma with pitbulls and I didn't mean to offend anyone. I agree it could have been any kind of dog and I would have stated what kind it was regardless of whether it was a stereotypical agressive or gentle breed. I blame the owner for bringing an agressive dog to an off leash dog park.

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
There was no offense taken at all, just sometimes we don't think about unintended consequences, we all do it. Good thing is everyone seems to be very intelligent about dogs in general on this forum, so I don't think that stigma has much weight here. There is a dog park by my house and dog walkers will bring packs of 20+ dogs and just let them run crazy at the park, it is super dangerous and irresponsible. I don't understand how the dog walker can possibly expect to control that many dogs off of a leash.

B

Baxter Tiberius

Sucks she got attacked, but pointing out it was a "pitbull" perpetuates the stigma that the breed is aggressive or dangerous.

They are. And I say this after attending a dog park 3x a week for the last two months, that has 40+ dogs at it, every day. So that's a huge spectrum of dog breeds that I have monitored. While there have been some Pitbulls that were just as friendly as all the other breeds, it has *always* been the Pitbulls that ended up losing temper, or viciously attacking one of the other dogs out of thin air. I can say this honestly, as I went into the situation having no negative opinion of any dog breed.

It's never the cocker spaniel that is viciously snarling and pulling at its owners leash, fangs dripping with foam and saliva for absolutely ZERO REASON. It was the Pitbull doing that. The owner even had the lack of brains to complain that there were so many dogs off their leashes around his violent angry dog. As if the off-leash dogs were the problem, not his Pitbull that wanted blood. People are strange.

I read the other day that Pitbulls were manually selected for breeding *based on* aggressive traits. This isn't something that should just be ignored out of political correctness, or fear of offending people. If you breed for cuteness and sweet disposition, you're going to end up with a line of dogs that are cute and sweet. Not all Pitbulls are aggressive and mean. But the breed that has had the most problems at the park has consistently been the Pitbulls.

Makes it kinda hard to ignore the "stigma".

-B-

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That is absolutely disgusting that no one stepped in to help I am just so relieved that Daisy was not hurt more than she was and I totally agree some dogs should not be allowed to attend these parks if they are aggressive, There is aggressive dogs in all breeds and a lot of the time it is the way the owners have raised them and they feel its tough to have an aggressive dog.
I can imagine how scary this was for you and I would have done exactly the same no fear when it comes to protecting our babies.
Dog parks I probably would not go to for this reason not that we have one here but if we did I would not go.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Wow! I'm sorry to hear that! Bubba had a couple of incidents like this ( not as intense and without blood) at the dog park. They jumped on top of him and looked like they were biting him, and Bubba just layed there. I, like yourself, jumped in right away. The owers were a ways away chatting with other people. Part of the problem is owners are socially so much with other people that they don't notice the early signs of aggression and stop it before it happens. I have watched Caesar milan a lot in the past. Dogs can get past an episode like this if we allow them to. Many times people have fear when they are bringing their dog around other dogs after and incident like this and dogs pick up on this emotion. Bring Daisy around other dogs that YOU feel comfortable with, to build both confidences again. It's tough to do, but it works. Bubba is still just as submissive as he was before. Glad she's OK, BTW!

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
I'm so sorry this happend to you and dasiey!!! I always worry abut this to when I got to the dog park, luckily though chesty is just a small bully and i take him in with the little dogs and no one ever says anything, i will take him in with the big dogs as long as this one black lab is not there it is so mean to other dogs and the owner is to busy talking to everyone and not paying attention to her dog, its attacked so many dogs. I hope you and dasiey are doing ok!

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I am always scared of the dog parks you just never know. She should never take a dog that can be aggressive. I feel bad for your daisy hope she r recovers fully

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.