Giving Pesticides to our babies (flea/tick crap)

B

Baxter Tiberius

Rant:

I hate doing this. Baxter is the most joyful, playful, peaceful, friendly creature I have ever encountered. Even at the dog park, 90% of the other dogs are grumpy, easily pissed off, moody, and act weird. Even the english bulldogs at the dog park seem miserable, sometimes snappy, and act weird to me. Baxter seems different than them all.

I have always had this theory that the food they eat, the vaccinations, and the pesticides we pump into their bodies screw them up in so many ways. Neurologically, emotionally, etc. 99% of people don't realize or recognize the changes because they've just always had their dogs on these poisons.

Baxter had his first set of vaccinations, then no more. I don't have him on any flea or tick stuff because he never seems to have fleas. So why would I put that sh*t in his body? So I found a flea yesterday, and reluctantly bought some K9 Advantix II. Its a dose for 22 to 50lb dogs, so I gave him 1/4 of the tube, as he is 39lbs and I see zero logic in giving him a whole month dose up front.

Today? He's a completely different dog. Not happy, bouncing around, and doing his normal morning routine. He's laying down in the corner, groggy and weird. I opened the patio door where he loves to go out and suntan, but he freaked out and acted terrified over nothing, then ran inside again. This isn't baxter. And these stupid neurological damaging pesticides are not good for our babies. I only gave him 1/4 of the dose.

You may say that your dog does fine on them, but maybe your dog has been on them for a long time, so you don't see the difference. Baxter is never on *anything* ... so I notice the subtle differences much easier. Im not trying to offend anyone here. I know ticks can carry deadly diseases, etc. If you have to do it, you have to do it. But I swear I hate these poisons. And that's exactly what they are.

I love that the box says its extremely dangerous for me to get it on my skin and to wash it off immediately. Meanwhile I pour it directly on baxters skin. I guess they hope that people think dogs have a special tolerance for neurological poisons, that humans don't have. Unreal.

He will go on heartworm medication only. And only because I am in Florida. If we were back home in San Diego where I haven't seen a mosquito in 13 years, he wouldn't even be on heartworm pesticides.

Just needed to rant.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I totally agree, but unfortunately we live in a flea/tick infested area, and I can't take the risk :(. We have ave on heart gard and the new NexGard from makers of heart gard. So far no changes in behavior, but too soon to tell :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Depending on where you live, these things can be a necessary evil.

I "think" Blue had a reaction to Frontline. He lost fur at the application site and shortly thereafter developed allergies. It could have been his rabies shot that was given around the same time, but I have a feeling it was the frontline.

So we went back to Advantage II which he tolerates without any issues.

The trick is to find the right one. Advantix isn't it. Try something else.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
We are in a flea/tick area as well. We also have to give Meatball Frontline. I get what your saying, I was debating passing on the rabies vaccine due to lots of people telling me their dogs got aggressive after it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION]

Have you ever considered using an all natural flea and tick prevention?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION] Diatomeceous Earth, which is natural will kill fleas and ticks. That is what I use for my dogs. It, however does not prevent H.W.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
@Baxter Tiberius Diatomeceous Earth, which is natural will kill fleas and ticks. That is what I use for my dogs. It, however does not prevent H.W.
My sister SWEARS by diatomeceous Earth. She has 2 labs, lives in an area that is flea/tick infested and they never have fleas or ticks. It's really helped their skin too. I don't use any flea/tick on Ruthie or Brutus. I just bathe them in Dawn dish soap.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] I bathe them in Dawn, also-but it doesn't always KEEP the fleas off, around here!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have lots of ticks here and are considering testing one of those electronic tags to avoid the pesticides. Anyone who has tried them?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Ace is on routine Sentinel and that's it as far as parasite medication. I did once treat for tapeworm as the typical heartworm medication does not prevent tapeworm infestation and I found some remnants of tapeworm in his stool and so treated. But Ace is on no routine parasite medication except Sentinel. If on routine examination for parasites and Ace had them I would treat. Parasites are potentially life threatening and heartworms are life threatening and an infestation of heartworms and the dog will die without treatment. As to vaccinations I vaccinate only as necessary or reasonable. Preventative heartworm treatment is a no brainer especially if you live in a state like Florida where I do. For other vaccines a titer test can be performed to estimate a dogs immunity to a said disease. Distemper vaccine is another balancing act, if a dog is infected with distemper is very likely that the dog will die. There is no treatment other than prevention. A dog with distemper can be given fluid intravenously and antibiotics to help with secondary infections with the hope it will develop immunity and recover but there is no medical remedy for distemper. As for rabies vaccinations its mandatory in the state of Florida. I subscribe to the minimal amount of vaccinations and parasite treatment as is reasonable and will protect the dog. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Vaccinations in dogs as well as humans have saved countless lives. Vaccination are not evil, over vaccination and no vaccinations are far worse

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I hate putting frontline plus on my dogs, but with skin sensitive to fleas and ants, I have no choice. Ticks carry lyme disease and are not OK when they fall off on my bed. I wish I didn't have to do it but lucky for me, I have seen no behavioral changes in either dog.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sadly we have to do it here, just to be on s safe side -there are all kinds of dogs running around parks (not dog parks) anf when we go to the woods i want my girls to be protected .So my answer would be depends where you live or go for walks xx
Some dogs have a reaction to frontline -so far my girls didnt ,bit in uk we have another -flea/tick prevention brand -i think its called advocate and few people swear by it
The only one flea prevention spot on im constantly warned to stay away from was bob martin
If my girls have any allergic reaction i would try some natural ways
As for vaccinations - we do them regularly too (lilly is yet to receive her yearly booster) same with worming xx

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.