Can anyone's bully swim?

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We took Barkley to a dog park that has a lake last summer and he loves it!! He had never been in/around water before and as soon as we let him in the park and took off his leash he bolted to the lake and ran and jumped off this ledge straight into the deeper water!! I was about to have a heart attack thinking we were going to have to jump in after him but he just popped up and started swimming like a pro!

We've taken him a couple more times and he still loves going in the water but tries to stay where he can stand (I think he's too lazy to put in the effort of swimming haha). I'll have to figure out if I can post the videos we have of him swimming because they are too cute!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
OMG the pic of blue in his vest is priceless. Rambo hates water we give him a bath it's like trying to hold onto a greased pig

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Kinda.....so I guess no he cant. If I place him in the pool he can swim around. But if he jumps in he sinks like a stone. So we now have a life jacket.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
They cannot swim, but you can let him by the pool SUPERVISED and with a life jacket. I would never trust that the life jacket would be really able to save Matilda, but at least it'll buy us a few seconds to jump in after her!

You should get him a kiddie pool! Matilda LOVES the water and likes to wade in (with the jacket of course) at the beach. You could set his pool right next to your pool so that he gets to have some fun too!

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
They cannot swim, but you can let him by the pool SUPERVISED and with a life jacket. I would never trust that the life jacket would be really able to save Matilda, but at least it'll buy us a few seconds to jump in after her!

You should get him a kiddie pool! Matilda LOVES the water and likes to wade in (with the jacket of course) at the beach. You could set his pool right next to your pool so that he gets to have some fun too!
Great idea with the kiddie pool. Will get the life jacket and kiddie pool.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
FYI, I started a new thread to get some info on life jackets. I'm interested in brands and sizing too.
Great thanks!!!!! I will look for it, I need all that info too!!!! Thank you:)

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
IMG_20130621_182505_829.jpgIMG_20130629_245557_171.jpgIMG_20130831_172855_627.jpgIMG_20130831_173117_036.jpgIMG_20130818_090614_534.jpgWe take April on boating trips to the Missouri river (with a life jacket on in the boat )- she always has somebody watching her on the sand bar were we stop and swim and take lunch -sometimes we take it off of her on the sand bar because we think she might overheat - the sand bar we stop at is not over knee deep for about sixty feet before it drops off deeper

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Boeboe and Bennie can swim but they hate it:mellow: Joey can't swim but she loves it:tongue: the irony of life... They've only been swimming in a pool and I doubt any of them would be able to swim if there were waves... they're not good swimmers:no:

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Curlys mom could swim. the breeders often took her to the ocean swam with her and she also surfed a bit. We didn't believe them until they showed us pictures. They had a life jacket on her while she surfed but the photos of her swimming she didn't have a life vest. All pics were in the ocean

Curly and his mom are different shapes - curly is much denser so I don't think he will be able to swim but he love the water (as long as there are no waves) so we are going to get a little baby pool for him during the summer

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler

Hopefully this works!
OMG!!!!!!! Love these videos! Your bully LOVES the water, saw him swim a bit too:) now I can't wait to try Meatball this summer, but I am still purchasing a life jacket just in case. Your bulldog looks so much like my Meatball

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
BTW I've seen life jackets at REI for dogs. They looked like they were a good quality

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
BTW I've seen life jackets at REI for dogs. They looked like they were a good quality

Thanks will check it out:)

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Charley loves the beach even more than playing ball! We keep him on an old long retractable leash, then let him wade. He runs and paddles back and forth in the shallows. It is tough to get him out of the water. Once he knows he's at the beach, he has a one track mind!
4eda2apy.jpg
y7avava6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.