Can anyone's bully swim?

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Now that summer is approaching, the pool will open. I have read that bulldogs can't swim. Last summer I didn't let Meatball in our pool area. The pool has a second fence around it because I have toddlers, and we separated the pool and yard with a extra fence. However, last summer he would cry, it looked like he wanted to come in the pool area and swim/play with the kids. So, does anyone's bully swim? Or is it true they can't swim?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue loves the water so we just got him a life jacket. He can spend hours in it if we let him.
Does he swim? Kinda..lol.. We're always near by just in case though.

I think a life jacket is your best bet.

View attachment 68465

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Blue loves the water so we just got him a life jacket. He can spend hours in it if we let him.
Does he swim? Kinda..lol.. We're always near by just in case though.

I think a life jacket is your best bet.

View attachment 68465
Look at that face!!! You are a handsome devil Blue!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
We put a life jacket on Dually as well. He's not really a swimmer but he does like the water especially if there is water balloons involved!! haha

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Thanks for everyone's responses, guess life jacket it is!

Reggie2

Dec 29, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabelle and Bo
Our bully can not swim so we got her a life jacket which works well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We have a pool too, I have a 5 ft. baby gate around the whole pool. One day I let Vegas in the gate with me while I was in the pool and he jumped in the deep end :w00t: He sank like a rock!!!! Scared the crap out of me and him both. Now I will let him out for a little bit when we are in the pool and he just stands on the top step and enjoys watching us.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I've heard they can't swim, because of their weight and shape, they sink, but many people do use a dog live jacket around the water. I would get him one, and stay right beside him and see if he likes the water, and how he does. Just like toddlers they have to be supervised around pools and bodies of water. I don't know if my guys can swim as I have never tried it out, and they don't seem to really like water.

B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] where did you get that life jacket? I like it.

They are so heavy up front you'd really need some buoyancy in the front half. Not so much the back!

One time baxter ran really fast and stopped hard, and his back legs went flying over the top of him LOL

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@Blueberrys Mom where did you get that life jacket? I like it.

They are so heavy up front you'd really need some buoyancy in the front half. Not so much the back!

One time baxter ran really fast and stopped hard, and his back legs went flying over the top of him LOL

It's the "yellow dog floatation vest" from petco.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
im so glad you asked this! I brought Jovi over to her grandma's the other day and she kept saying "I cant wait to open my pool! you're going to have so much fun" and no matter how many times I repeated myself that bulldogs cant swim she just kept talking and talking about it. So I may actually invest in the life jacket myself to see how that goes. Because LAST thing i want is to see my bulldog be taken away by grandma and thrown in the pool :nono: oh them mother-in-laws hahahaha

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I'm glad other bully owners got some answers about pools too! This website is great!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.